fixie virgin - first ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

fixie virgin - first ride

Finally got out on my On-One Inbred fixie today! Ride was mostly on the road and snow covered areas near by. A few observations:

Its hard to skid a MTB tire on the road(even when its wet)! I did do several successful short skids but found it hard to hold the skid all the way to a stop.

My Titec Jones bars are comfortable. There was zero adjustment time to the position.

Comfort on the bike with a fixed setup is paramount. Cleary I have some issues to work out still with stem height and saddle placement.

My right leg tries to take over during slowing and skids. I need to develop both legs more!

Remember that feeling when you first rode a singlespeed, the feeling that you wanted to shift. Well, fixed riding makes you want to coast. I got over this last time I had a fixie, I'm sure it will pass.

I'm looking forward to hitting the trails this week. I'll post pics of the build soon.

Fixed riding offroad already seems like learning how to ride a bike all over again. Should be fun, it was the first time!

MC
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Whenever I ride fixie off-road, I like using tires that are more worn down. It makes it a little easier to skid and position your cranks for obstacles better.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat

Remember that feeling when you first rode a singlespeed, the feeling that you wanted to shift. Well, fixed riding makes you want to coast. I got over this last time I had a fixie, I'm sure it will pass.

MC
    The bike won't let you forget,
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Whenever I ride fixie off-road, I like using tires that are more worn down. It makes it a little easier to skid and position your cranks for obstacles better.
    I find that rear tires need to "season" on my off road fixies. When they get to be "just right" you can control them in practically any situation as long as they keep contact with the ground.
    "Roll your own......." Smokebikes.com

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    I find that rear tires need to "season" on my off road fixies. When they get to be "just right" you can control them in practically any situation as long as they keep contact with the ground.
    I really dig my Python on the rear because of its relatively low knob height. Also, when playing around in the parking lot or riding to the trailhead, I "season" 'em by skidding a bunch. Trackskids are too much fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

skidding

Since your tire are hooking up so well, I bet you could stop even faster w/out trying to skid. Plus skidding brings a greater possibilty of fish tail.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg
    The bike won't let you forget,
    You doing 12 hours of Lodi again this year? Also, do you ride fixie all the time?

All skidding aside......

Skidding on the trail in these parts (Pisgah) is a no-no.....
    Unless you just gotta.

mtbr member
    Gabe,

You have my total respect if you can ride Fixed in Pisgah, singlespeeding was hard enough for me! Hopefully I will get to that level some day.

Skidding around us is a huge no-no too. I figure you need the skill though "just in case" unless you run a rear brake(huho, here comes PVD...).

Whats your favorite Singlespeed/Fixie trail in Pisgah?

MC
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

I struck a nerve...

Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    Skidding on the trail in these parts (Pisgah) is a no-no.....
    Unless you just gotta.
    How do you get over rocks and logs while riding fixie without a rear brake (or even with a rear brake)? Do you try to position your pedals properly so they don't strike the obstacle? Does that involve backpedaling (even a tiny bit) where you end up losing traction for a microsecond or more? If so, to me, that's skidding.

BTW, every trail I've been on, skidding's for squids. I never do long or stupid skids just for the hell of it ON THE TRAIL.

mtbr member
    Drevil or anyone:

Do you run a huge front tire at low pressure to help with the unweight of the rear wheel? The first fixie offroad rider I encountered had this setup and it seemed to help him loft the rear wheel for crank position resets.

Also, any recommendations for bar height? Right now I still have the bars about 2"s below the saddle. I think level or slightly above would be much more comfortable, especially on decents.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    Gabe,

You have my total respect if you can ride Fixed in Pisgah, singlespeeding was hard enough for me! Hopefully I will get to that level some day.

Skidding around us is a huge no-no too. I figure you need the skill though "just in case" unless you run a rear brake(huho, here comes PVD...).

Whats your favorite Singlespeed/Fixie trail in Pisgah?

MC
    Thanks man.....I'm strange like that. I like it all here in WNC but I'm partial to Bent Creek, since it's literally in my back yard.........

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    You doing 12 hours of Lodi again this year? Also, do you ride fixie all the time?

I'll be at Lodi, and fixed is a possibility. Even if you weren't talking to me

Anyway, I put my fixed ENO wheel on my Fango this weekend here in icy Maryland, and it was the most fun I've ever had on a bike!

mtbr member

Gabe is old and ugly...

He can ride a fixie though..except when he`s looking at my back wheel...Damn Idiot
    Attached Images Attached Images

Harrumph
    Unfortunately no, I'm not in VA anymore. I moved from a crappy area in VA to a crappy area in TX. And at the moment the Fixie is the only bike I have with me, so despite owning a fairly pimped XC bike the Fixie is the only thing seeing any miles. I'm planning on doing a few races on it next month, but I'm out of shape so we'll see how that goes. And Lodi is perfect for SS, and even Fixie. There were a few extended downhills where I was RPM limited, but with a 19lb ridged Klein I was able to make up that time in the twisties and the climbs. The Fixie is a good "pacing tool" in a 12hr, you have to go a certain speed for momentum, but you can't go too fast. And when you can't stop pedaling it helps with the muscle cramps.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Members who have read this thread: 0