Thread: fixie question

Welcome to the Gem...

fixie question

http://classifieds.roadbikereview.co...uct=6919&cat=7

that's a link to a road bike wheelset. my buddy wants to convert his roadie he got for free into a fixie. could i convert that hub to fixed? do i need to find him a fixed specific hub?

not a mountain question, but i figure you guys would know. thanks.
    Ibis Tranny 29

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallanaga
    http://classifieds.roadbikereview.co...uct=6919&cat=7

that's a link to a road bike wheelset. my buddy wants to convert his roadie he got for free into a fixie. could i convert that hub to fixed? do i need to find him a fixed specific hub?

not a mountain question, but i figure you guys would know. thanks.
    That has neither freewheel thread or a disc mount. The only other (non-destructive) option is a Surly Fixxer, but I don't know if that will either because only some types of Shimano hubs work with it.

The destructive method would be to fill the freehub pawls with epoxy or that liquid metal stuff, or weld it...but I wouldn't do it.

You can find cheaper fixie specific rear wheels than that modifying that setup to work.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Welcome to the Gem...
    good to hear!!

now... could you point me in the right direction?
    Ibis Tranny 29

I am the owl
    What kind of drop outs? You'll likely need the ENO eccentric hub if they are vertical.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Welcome to the Gem...
    not in the budget, my man.

he said... look for a bike for me in the $150 range. i said he'd be better off to put it towards a new wheelset for the frame he has now.

when i get it in my possession i'll examine his options, for now i just need to be directed to a cheap set of wheels that are going to be good for a non-aggressive road rider.

thanks guys.
    Ibis Tranny 29

FTM
    Wait on the wheelset, the bike he has might have a freewheel (if it's old enough) and in fact work just fine for fixed riding with some minor adjustments.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    if it's an old cheap road bike 9 times out of 10 it has some sort of horizontal dropout system and is easily made fixed. I actually got a 1984 $15AUD frame from a garage sale and then got a $150AUD brand new flip flop fixed rear wheel made and the rest is history... I'm sure in the US you could get it done for chump change.. why buy two wheels when you probably only need one

Welcome to the Gem...
    that's the thing. his wheelset is falling apart right now. he's not even able to ride, his wheels are in such rough shape. he told me to find him a new bike, and i'm like NOOO.

sooooo, i'm looking for a nice set of wheels for a roadie for around $150 or so.

i'll take a look at it tomorrow. maybe even tonight, and keep you guys posted. any ideas on where to shop for these wheels?
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You can usually find a set of fixed gear wheels on eBay for $150. They'll probably have Weinnman DP18 rims and Formula hubs. The hubs are good. The rims are strong, but kinda heavy. The wheels will probably have to be brought up to proper tension. Then you'll need a cog and lockring and also get your chainline straight, which may require a new bottom bracket.

Welcome to the Gem...
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    All crap. Get Formula hubs at a bare minimum. They are just like Surly hubs. 7901 Angular contact sealed bearings.

So find Formula hubs laced to some rim. DP18s are good for what they are, cheap, strong, heavy. I have a set on my commuter. Before you buy check to see if it has machined sidewalls. If you run brakes you'll probably want that. They're also available in colors.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    maybe look at the I.R.O. Cycles website. IIRC, they do frames and decently priced starter build kits, wheel deals and such.....

mtbr member
    If you have an old bike it might have a threaded cass. Remove the cass. and thread on a fixed cog. You can get two cogs and use one as the drive cog and one as the lock ring. I did that on an old road bike and didn't spend a dime.

FTM
    before buying anything, make sure you can turn the frame into a fixed gear (ie not vertical dropout).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTM
    before buying anything, make sure you can turn the frame into a fixed gear (ie not vertical dropout).
    very true, you won't be able to do a thing without vertical dropouts.

Welcome to the Gem...
    Quote Originally Posted by shitbirdbicycle
    very true, you won't be able to do a thing without vertical dropouts.
    errata... with vertical dropouts.

i gotcha. i'm taking a look at it today.
    Ibis Tranny 29

Welcome to the Gem...
    Ibis Tranny 29

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    errata... with vertical dropouts.

i gotcha. i'm taking a look at it today.
    ENO eccentic wheel, round file/Dremel, half links, ghost ring

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    ENO eccentic wheel, round file/Dremel, half links, ghost ring
    Ghost ring on a fixed gear? You first...
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Ghost ring on a fixed gear? You first...
    Er, delete the ghost ring as one of the reliable options to convert to fixie...but has anyone tried it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I got the same wheelset from them. It's been going fine and I've beaten it to **** this winter. My only "complaint" is that I had to bring the spokes up to tension once. I'm very sure that you will have to do the same. It's a strong rim and hard to get it to too out of true, so even an idiot like myself couldn't mess it up too bad.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by FTM
    you can magic gear a vert drop frame and ride it fixed.

you can also grind about 1/3 off the axle to make a ghetto ecc hub.

also, the surly fixxer will work on any shimano hub EXCEPT except the 2004 dura ace, any dura ace made prior to 1997, or on the silent clutch.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Welcome to the Gem...
    i talked with him... he's borderline clueless about this stuff, but he's pretty sure they're horizontal drops... lol.

we should be good to go.
    Ibis Tranny 29

Welcome to the Gem...
    they're track ends... the backwards kind. perfect!!

here's some pics of this beast torn apart. it needs some TLC. should be a nice project though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    They are called semi-horizontal drop outs

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    your jabber has track ends....semi-horizontals work fine though.
    from experience it may end up costing him more to fix up this old bike than picking up something from bikedirect.com. when the wheels are going to cost him 150-160, it won't take much to get to the $300 it costs for a decent bike shipped from bikesdirect.
    just something to think about....good luck

meh... whatever
    they're track ends... the backwards kind. perfect!!

here's some pics of this beast torn apart. it needs some TLC. should be a nice project though.
    those arent track ends, they are horizontal dropouts. and they will work fine fixed.

ive converted a ton of these old bikes to fixies, and some old steel frames have a high cool factor and are worth spending money on for a fixie conversion (wheelset & various parts) but that ross is not one of them. i certainly wouldnt spend 300 clams on it. its an old high-ten steel frame with pressed drops on the frame and fork. very generic and low end.

for just a little more than what it would take to do a decent conversion with wheelset and new parts your bud can pick up a nice new cheap track bike to put around on that will be way cooler. when considering projects like this always remember something... no matter how much money is spent to polish a turd, all you end up with in the end is a shiny turd.

however, if he insists on converting it to a fixie he should just do it on the cheap and ghetto fix the rear wheel. 99.9% chance that thing has a freewheel cassette, so just remove it and ghetto fix a cog and viola! done. ive posted step by step instructions on how to properly ghetto fix one of these hubs so i wont waste time doing it here again. just do a search for it.

also, to replace that old crank with a more modern one he will need to get a bb shell adapter, which is pretty cheap. just be sure to save the left hand bb ring for ghetto fixing the hub.

if he wants to be a real hipster remove the bars and flip them around and then cut them off at the bends to make some mini-bull horns, and put the front brake lever on backwards on the left side so the blade is pointing forward.

then all he'd be out is tires/tubes, bb shell adaptor, and some bar tape.

Welcome to the Gem...
    alright... thanks for the info, guys. i really appreciate the heads up monogod. i knew it was junk, but i didn't know it was that far on the spectrum. those pressed dropouts really said something though, lol.

so, bikes direct

any other places i should look at? i'll let him know what's up. thanks again.
    Ibis Tranny 29

Welcome to the Gem...
    http://windsorbicycles.com/track.htm

my buddy is about 5-8. what would be a good size track bike for him?
    Ibis Tranny 29

one chain loop
    http://windsorbicycles.com/track.htm

my buddy is about 5-8. what would be a good size track bike for him?
    measure the inseam and compare it to stand over height. let him do it, awkward.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

meh... whatever
    alright... thanks for the info, guys. i really appreciate the heads up monogod. i knew it was junk, but i didn't know it was that far on the spectrum. those pressed dropouts really said something though, lol.

so, bikes direct

any other places i should look at? i'll let him know what's up. thanks again.
    no prob man.

its not that the bike couldnt be done, cuz it could be done on the cheap (ghetto fixie) and would make a good bike for commuting and locking to a pole somewhere. low desirability for thieves and not much money lost if it did get jacked. just dont put more than $50-$75 bucks or so into it.

the windsors are decent bikes, and bikes direct has them for $300. just needs a front brake.

they also carry a motobecane with brakes for $350. and yes, you want at least a front brake.

Welcome to the Gem...
    so... my buddy has about a 31" inseam roughly.

do we go with an exact fit, or something a bit smaller so his nuts have some safety room?

i only know mountain bike measurements. what's up?
    Ibis Tranny 29

One gear to rule them all
    so... my buddy has about a 31" inseam roughly.

do we go with an exact fit, or something a bit smaller so his nuts have some safety room?

i only know mountain bike measurements. what's up?
    I would say that you are looking for a 53/54cm road frame.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

Members who have read this thread: 0