fixie mtb questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

fixie mtb questions

i would like to give this a shot on my Monocog:

1. are there any other options for a fixed cog besides Tomicog and a home-made cog? Does anyone else produce a fixed cog that would bolt onto my disc hub? (Surly, get on it!)

2. i am running 32/18 on my 26" bike now. would it be advantageous to run a larger or smaller cog fixed? perhaps 17 or 19t?

3. how reliable and strong is the six-bolt fixed cog system compared to a traditional track hub/cog system? do those six bolts tend to hold up under abuse any better than a threaded interface with a reverse lockring?
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 06-07-2010 at 08:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

mtbr member
    ok, i found them in the US: http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...4282856b6730b3

now what do you folks think about gear ratios?

another question:

3. how reliable and strong is the six-bolt fixed cog system compared to a traditional track hub/cog system? do those six bolts tend to hold up under abuse any better than a threaded interface with a reverse lockring?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    ok, i found them in the US: http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...4282856b6730b3

now what do you folks think about gear ratios?
    advantage to a harder gear is not spinning your legs so darn fast on downhills and sections you would normally be able to coast, plus more leverage to brake with the rear wheel. advantage to a lower gear is the same as for regular SS: climbing

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    advantage to a harder gear is not spinning your legs so darn fast on downhills and sections you would normally be able to coast, plus more leverage to brake with the rear wheel. advantage to a lower gear is the same as for regular SS: climbing
    Find out the hardest ratio you can push on your SS. It is sort of miserable, not nearly as bad as frantic legs on a downhill you want to be enjoying...

mtbr member
    Generally, it seems most people go with a slightly harder gear for fixed MTB vs SS, for the sake of the downhills. However, you could go the same size as your SS, but get ready for lots of spinning. Using the same size allows you to easily flip your wheel without fiddling with wheel position, brakes setup etc.

mtbr member
    Just pick up the Tomi cog, he makes good sh!t and it will be to you in a few days. You gonna go for the urban Hypster look for the Friday Night Dark rides?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    fixed gear mountain biking was the worst experience in cycling for me....period.

mtbr member
    what do you folks think about gear ratios?
    I use ~one gear higher than SS coastie.

I started using a bolt-on disc cog because I was stripping the threaded track hubs. MTB fixie puts more stress on the thread interface because you usually run a lower gear ratio than on track.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    If you can comfortably push 32x18, then I would go with a 16 or 17T for your fixed cog. Spinning like crazy on steep decents sucks like no other.

This was my issue with riding fixed in my neck of the woods. Steep climbs and steep decents. A ratio that I could push up hill was too low for going down. Fixed just wasn't fun for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by John's Smith
    fixed gear mountain biking was the worst experience in cycling for me....period.
    you must have been doing it wrong

master blaster
    my cross bike is fixed and i ride it like a mtb.
    ratio is 32x19 with 32mm tires.

i prefer to be on the brakes and control my downhill speed with a lower ratio. i rode the same set up with a 17 and didnt like it as much as the 19.

Members who have read this thread: 0