Fixie experts question- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    SUBLIM8er
    Reputation: Axis II's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,203

    Fixie experts question

    I need an approximate BB length for my fixed project to get the correct chain line. I've got a Phil Wood MTB fixed/free hub and am leaning towards a Sugino crank. I've been unable to find a RF Turbine in 165mm which is what I really wanted. I'd like to run the chainring outboard if possible. Square taper of course. Also, I'd would welcome sugestions for a decent BMX crank that would get me the proper chainline for this setup. I like the looks of theTruvativ BMX Jr. in 165mm. Anyone using this?

  2. #2
    Not because I'm fast.....
    Reputation: 2farfwd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    748

    My experience

    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    I need an approximate BB length for my fixed project to get the correct chain line. I've got a Phil Wood MTB fixed/free hub and am leaning towards a Sugino crank. I've been unable to find a RF Turbine in 165mm which is what I really wanted. I'd like to run the chainring outboard if possible. Square taper of course. Also, I'd would welcome sugestions for a decent BMX crank that would get me the proper chainline for this setup. I like the looks of theTruvativ BMX Jr. in 165mm. Anyone using this?
    On my Surly Cross Check frame with a Phil fixed/free MTB hub/EAI track cog I used a 68x110mm BB with the chainring in the outer position and the chainline is close to perfect. The crank is a RF turbine square taper.

    The Sugino cranks are really nice if you deceide to go with that crank. Depending on your frame, you might need to pick up a couple BBs and try both. I bought a 110 and 113mm BB, tried both, and the 110 worked perfectly. Unfortunately, trial and error are the norm in the quest for a perfect chainline. Good luck!

  3. #3
    blame me for missed rides
    Reputation: weather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    789
    matt chester uses the sugino on his personal bike, so that says something about it. i use 165mm sugino on my cross bike. nice cranks.

    i think 113mm gives you the correct chainline in outer ring position for a 135mm fixed-free (113mm gives a 47.5mm chainline for middle ring, so the outer ring is 52.5mm).
    Last edited by weather; 01-09-2006 at 04:34 PM.

  4. #4
    French for "Suck"
    Reputation: Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    140

    Make friends at the local shop

    What hubs are you using? What chainline are you going for? Most 120mm track hubs have a chainline of 42mm. In these cases, most folks use a 109mm to a 113mm BB to achieve the proper crank spacing with track cranks.

    But, you're using road or BMX cranks, so you'll probably need to keep it really close to the shell. I'd say keep your spindle as short as you can without banging your cranks (or heels) into the chainstay.

    Also, become good pals with your local shop, so they'll let you try on different spindles/BB's until you find the perfect one.

    Other good inexpensive cranks are Sugino XD (available in tandem, for LHD) and the FMF cheapies. If you can find some old Soras, those are good too.

  5. #5
    SUBLIM8er
    Reputation: Axis II's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    What hubs are you using? What chainline are you going for? Most 120mm track hubs have a chainline of 42mm. In these cases, most folks use a 109mm to a 113mm BB to achieve the proper crank spacing with track cranks.

    But, you're using road or BMX cranks, so you'll probably need to keep it really close to the shell. I'd say keep your spindle as short as you can without banging your cranks (or heels) into the chainstay.

    Also, become good pals with your local shop, so they'll let you try on different spindles/BB's until you find the perfect one.

    Other good inexpensive cranks are Sugino XD (available in tandem, for LHD) and the FMF cheapies. If you can find some old Soras, those are good too.
    135mm Phil hub as stated at outset. I don't know what chainline for this hub/various crank combos- that's why I'm asking about it here. I do believe one needs a longer BB spindle for the 135 Phil hub to get the correct chainline.

  6. #6
    French for "Suck"
    Reputation: Aeroplane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    140
    Oops, went right over the Phil MTB hub part. Well, I checked their website and couldn't find anything there, but couldn't you just measure the hub itself? Then you'd at least know if you're going for 42 or 57 or whatever.

  7. #7
    surlysoul
    Guest

    I would measure the chainline

    I think your chainline on that hub is around 52, but why not just measure it? you need to know your cranks before you can even guess at bb spindle length with a new sugino crank I would bet on a 110 spindle.

  8. #8
    surlysoul
    Guest

    This Might help you

    http://63xc.com/mattc/setup2.htm

    Chainline is toward the bottom of this article

  9. #9
    SUBLIM8er
    Reputation: Axis II's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,203
    Quote Originally Posted by surlysoul
    http://63xc.com/mattc/setup2.htm

    Chainline is toward the bottom of this article
    Thanks, that helps. Couldn't find it when I went to the site yesterday.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    27
    For my fixed gear, i used a dimension cross crank, which is solid, affordable, and has a 110 bcd- i believe that they come in 165mm.

    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    I need an approximate BB length for my fixed project to get the correct chain line. I've got a Phil Wood MTB fixed/free hub and am leaning towards a Sugino crank. I've been unable to find a RF Turbine in 165mm which is what I really wanted. I'd like to run the chainring outboard if possible. Square taper of course. Also, I'd would welcome sugestions for a decent BMX crank that would get me the proper chainline for this setup. I like the looks of theTruvativ BMX Jr. in 165mm. Anyone using this?

  11. #11
    Fixed and single.
    Reputation: mordecai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    336
    Check out the Bulletproof cranks at the bottom of this page. I just bought a pair of the 165's. They look quite tuff.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed.html#cranks

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: >>ECB<<'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    ... I like the looks of theTruvativ BMX Jr. in 165mm. Anyone using this?
    I wouldn't try that if I were you...it has a weight limit of 100 pounds.

    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/truva...ets/Racing.pdf

    ECB

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by mordecai
    Check out the Bulletproof cranks at the bottom of this page. I just bought a pair of the 165's. They look quite tuff.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed.html#cranks
    i have the bullseye 165 cranks. they are quite tough, as i bash them on rocky trails all the time. they fit well on a surly crosscheck, with shimano lx bottom bracket, if that helps at all. i use the outer ring, which is quite pretty. the bullseye logo rubs off quickly, which is not so dashing. but i'm going sugino 170 on my next bike.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2xPneu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by weather
    matt chester uses the sugino on his personal bike, so that says something about it. i use 165mm sugino on my cross bike. nice cranks.

    i think 113mm gives you the correct chainline in outer ring position for a 135mm fixed-free (113mm gives a 47.5mm chainline for middle ring, so the outer ring is 52.5mm).

    113 is correct for Sugino XDs and a Phil KISS-OFF rear hub.

    I tried a 110 as well as the 113 just to be sure.

    I use a fixed/fixed, so not sure of chainline with a freewheel.

    Make sure you torque the cranks to ~30 ftlbs, and the fixed chainline should come out just right...RC

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.