a fixed rider coasted today...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

a fixed rider coasted today...

..and it was awful.

I felt out-of-control the whole time, kept hitting my turns way to the outside of where I wanted to, and lifted the front end unexpectedly on a few of the steep climbs.

I suppose I cleared some log crossings and stuff that is more difficult fixed, but I'll take the occasional pedal strike or walking around an obstacle over what was happening today.

Yikes. I think it's all of you coasting-types that are the crazy ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ink1373
    ..and it was awful [...] I think it's all of you coasting-types that are the crazy ones.

Please, let's not start a fixed vs not-fixed flame war here; the 29er vs 26er battles are bad enough!

Switching from anything you're really used to is always an adjustment - my pickup truck is a standard shift and my wife's Honda is an automatic. It still takes some getting used to when I change between them, but each has its advantages.

Riding fixed offroad is a unique challenge, as it is on the road; I think most people prefer to be able to put their feet where they want to when obstacles approach. Sure, they're missing out on some fun aspects, but the only people who I think are "crazy" are the ones who don't ride at all.
    "America is the greatest country in the world, but that's a lot like being the prettiest waitress at Denny's."

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    err...i was just sharing my experience. i'm hardly starting a flame war. my closing comment was based on the number of times that I've been called "crazy" for riding fixed (every time anyone notices or asks).

mtbr member
    You're crazy.

banned
    content deleted as it could possibly offend someone some where some how some time
    Last edited by 29Colossus; 03-22-2007 at 07:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ink,
    I know the feeling. I have been riding fixed for year and I jumped on my wife's geared bike a couple of days ago for a short spin. I was fine while pedaling but as soon as I slowed down to stop I almost fell over. It was very funny. There sure would be an adjustment period to switch back to a freewheel for me.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Fixed gear...unless you have to find a reason to be different, it has many more drawbacks than benefits. Why do you fixies handicap yourselves? Why?
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    Fixed gear...unless you have to find a reason to be different, it has many more drawbacks than benefits. Why do you fixies handicap yourselves? Why?
    my internet-sarcasm detector is confused a bit here.

SCENARIO ONE- you are serious:

Well, I suppose it's good that you coast. For me, coasting all the time would feel like searching for a reason to be different. Normal is fixed. I've ridden fixed in the city for years, and I haven't seen a good reason to change that while doing other types of riding (offroad, touring, what-have-you.) Handicap, drawbacks? Like, I might not go as fast, or it might be really hard? I'd rather go slow, have a hard time, and have tons of fun...and trust me, it's tons of scary fun.

SCENARIO TWO- you are kidding:

Yeah, I'm mostly in it for the internet message board glory.

Pick the appropriate scenario and ignore the other...happy trails.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    ..and it was awful.

I felt out-of-control the whole time, kept hitting my turns way to the outside of where I wanted to, and lifted the front end unexpectedly on a few of the steep climbs.

I suppose I cleared some log crossings and stuff that is more difficult fixed, but I'll take the occasional pedal strike or walking around an obstacle over what was happening today.

Internet translation;
    I ride fixed gear offroad so I am badass. Not enough people noticed I rode fixed gear offroad on my ride today so I had to come on this forum and make up some lame thinly veiled post just so I could reference the fact that I am a badass offroad fixed rider. Did I mention I ride fixed gear offroad?

Don't get upset with me I just ran this through the Babelfish ego translation software.
    "Do not touch the trim"

banned
    content deleted as it could possibly offend someone some where some how some time

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Internet translation;
    I ride fixed gear offroad so I am badass. Not enough people noticed I rode fixed gear offroad on my ride today so I had to come on this forum and make up some lame thinly veiled post just so I could reference the fact that I am a badass offroad fixed rider. Did I mention I ride fixed gear offroad?

Don't get upset with me I just ran this through the Babelfish ego translation software.

Ahh, the Babelfish. You make me want to re-read Hitchiker's Guide. Thanks for all the fish!

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    I must have missed something? Where does he come close to acting like that?

What is wrong with riding fixie? It sounds like he had a great time.

Some of you sure are hostile.
    Come on. Re-read his post. I actually thought he was making fun of the "fixie" people at first until he replied like he was serious. Hardly hostile, I'm laughing over here.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well, it looks like this message board has exhausted it's usefulness completely. It was worth a try. The internet is a vat of poison, and I'm done swimming in it. Thanks to anyone who tried to make it something else.

banned

Art is Resistance
    I don't understand how people can get so sucked in to one style of bike, and can be incapable of riding anything else!

Seriously, a bike that coasts and you can't make a turn? That's like the guys that ride duallys, and think hardtails are only for moronic luddites. Or the whole 29'er revolution.

I'm not great cyclist (far from it) but there's a lot of different kinds of mountain bikes that i can ride just fine. Even cross bikes on some trails, etc.

A bike's a bike. Ride it, enjoy, repeat.

mtbr member
    Post deleted due to its author realizing that he made a grave error. My sincere apologies to ink1373 and anyone unlucky enough to have read the original post in which I addressed ink1373 regarding comments that another MTBR member wrote. Man, I gotta stop reading this stuff so late at night.
    Last edited by Joe Sausagehead; 06-19-2006 at 10:54 PM.
    "America is the greatest country in the world, but that's a lot like being the prettiest waitress at Denny's."

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    ..and it was awful.

I don't understand....I can jump from my fixie to coastie, geared or singlespeed, rigid to full suspension. and feel comfortable within a minute. what is it? you can't hack it? Ink is obviously an ill experienced cycilist, at worst an incompetent one. whatver you do dude, don't take those training wheels off.

love bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    how bout the downhills? i'd think i'da tried fixed already but man i love bombin the hills.

fixed on the street i get (and ride), but off road??? maybe i just i gotta try it sometime.

props to you and all your psychotic breathren who take a fixie out on technical singletrack!

mtbr member

28"

Easy there. I didn't see him trying to start anything at all. And ohhh yeah... there is no "battle" over 29" and 26" wheels. 29" wheels are better for EVERYTHING. I can say that because it only has to matter to me to be true.

Fixed in the woods scares me! haha. I can't imagine it! I might have to try it sometime.
    I like 28" wheels on 12" mountain bike tricycles...fixed with sreamers.

mtbr member

In the last 7 days

I put 20 some odd miles on my fixie, did a 2 hour ride on my 18 speed road bike, did a couple of hours on my SS mtb, and got my dualie all tuned up for a trip to the mountains. While it is a pisser climbing with a rear suspension (imho), i have no trail rash adjusting between the bikes. I must have totally mad riding skilz!

Rick
    "Oh, and how dare you accuse me of lying, drinking, getting high" DessertRagged

silly person
    Dec 2005
    I'm beginning to agree with the babelfish translation.

mtbr member

Let me try this again...

Some unsolicited advice for Ink1373:

1) Don't post stuff that insults 98% of the readers here (i.e., people who ride bikes that coast)

2) Don't post stuff that degrades the bikes that 98% of the readers here ride (i.e., ones that coast)

3) If you ignore 1 and 2, don't storm off in a huff when you receive negative comments from those you have insulted. The internet isn't a "vat of poison" without your help.

Rivet's "internet translation" seems to be the most accurate analysis so far.

banned
    Last edited by 29Colossus; 03-22-2007 at 07:04 PM.

Needed Less ~ Did More
    All his post said was that he rode a bike with a freewheel, it felt weird to him and although he did clear some stuff he would not normally, he prefers a fixie.

Perhaps I am not getting the anger, hate and insults you did from the post, who knows...

Some good reading here, infact the whole site is pure gold!

"So: "Why?" Inquiring minds want a justification. A reason. Arms are crossed, feet are tapping. Why would one suffer the scourge of smacking pedals on bits of Mother Earth? The endos brought on by an inability to sit snarkily behind the saddle down some wasted chute of a downhill? The ego deflation of being dropped by *anyone* with a freewheel on a long paved downhill while you comically twiddle your 50-something inch gear in a futile attempt to exceed school zone speeds?

Why? Why? Why?"

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sausagehead
    Some unsolicited advice for Ink1373:

1) Don't post stuff that insults 98% of the readers here (i.e., people who ride bikes that coast)

2) Don't post stuff that degrades the bikes that 98% of the readers here ride (i.e., ones that coast)

3) If you ignore 1 and 2, don't storm off in a huff when you receive negative comments from those you have insulted. The internet isn't a "vat of poison" without your help.

Rivet's "internet translation" seems to be the most accurate analysis so far.
    Last edited by Singlespeedpunk; 06-20-2006 at 08:47 AM.
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member
    Ha! This thread is hilarious. Some people take their hobbies too seriously, me thinks. If you reread the poor guy's first post, he's only saying that freewheeling messed HIM up because it's not what HE'S used to. I don't see anything in there that should be offensive to anyone else.

Here is my own version of what he said:

So I went to the ballpark today and accidentally got mustard on my hotdog instead of my usual ketchup. Gross! Me and mustard are not fond of one another and I almost had to throw my 7 dollar doggy away.

Why anybody likes mustard I'll never know.

Since this statement happens to be true for me (I hate mustard), am I going to get mauled for offending all the mustard lovers? Hang on, lemme find my flame suit...

velocipede technician
    my internet-sarcasm detector is confused a bit here.

SCENARIO ONE- you are serious:

Well, I suppose it's good that you coast. For me, coasting all the time would feel like searching for a reason to be different. Normal is fixed. I've ridden fixed in the city for years, and I haven't seen a good reason to change that while doing other types of riding (offroad, touring, what-have-you.) Handicap, drawbacks? Like, I might not go as fast, or it might be really hard? I'd rather go slow, have a hard time, and have tons of fun...and trust me, it's tons of scary fun.

SCENARIO TWO- you are kidding:

Yeah, I'm mostly in it for the internet message board glory.

Pick the appropriate scenario and ignore the other...happy trails.

mtbr member
    WOW! Someone has some sensitivity issues I think. Were you REALLY insulted? Was ANYONE really insulted? If you were insulted, it was the wrong chioce to make in a pile of reactions you could have chosen.

Insulted?

You have got to be kidding me. We are talking about BIKES people. BIKES!

Yo, Colossus. Chill a little, please. I personally wasn't insulted in the least, but looking at the posts here, others certainly were. And then Ink got all bent out of shape and said the place was a "vat of poison." I was just pointing out to him why his post was met with resistance. If you take a look at my first response, you'd see that I was trying to diffuse the inevitable flame war from the onset. And now I'm the one getting slammed? Whatever.

banned
    Last edited by 29Colossus; 03-22-2007 at 07:04 PM.

lotto baby
    totally didnt work... damn

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    You are a fine God of man Sausagehead.
    This makes so little sense it's making my head hurt.
    "Do not touch the trim"

lotto baby
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    This makes so little sense it's making my head hurt.
    now what doesn't make sense to me is this whole "all mountain" thing.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkenstein
    now what doesn't make sense to me is this whole "all mountain" thing.
    but you get to ride the WHOLE mountain! normal mountain bikes aren't allowed in certain areas, but ALL MOUNTAIN bikes give you the secret password to unlock the best levels.

mtbr member
    I'm with you I cant stand mustard. Personally I only like mayonaise on my hot dogs & french fries

mtbr member
    Riding fixed off-road (just like riding rigid or SS off-road) is a handicap, pure and simple. I would expect fixed riders to appreciate the advantages of freewheels just like I expect rigid riders to appreciate the advantages of riding with suspension or SS riders to appreciate gears.

I love riding rigid SS, but you won't find me getting confused by gears or unable to steer accurately because of suspension and resulting flex.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member

You can't be

Serious?

I HAD to say that.

Rick
    "Oh, and how dare you accuse me of lying, drinking, getting high" DessertRagged

conjoinicorned
    but you get to ride the WHOLE mountain! normal mountain bikes aren't allowed in certain areas, but ALL MOUNTAIN bikes give you the secret password to unlock the best levels.

ha ha ha it's so true.

sometimes a handicap is fun, can make an otherwise boring trail interesting...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Riding fixed off-road (just like riding rigid or SS off-road) is a handicap, pure and simple.
    Its only a handicap if it conflicts with your goals, please don't assume that your goals are shared by other riders

Alex
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -

silly person
    Dec 2005
    The reason I don't approve of the original post is because the OP is claiming that he
    kept hitting my turns way to the outside of where I wanted to, and lifted the front end unexpectedly on a few of the steep climbs.
    This sounds to me like he's making stuff up to try and demonstrate that fixies are better than coasters. Can someone explain the physics of why he's lifting the front end on climbs on a coaster but not on a fixie. I have a friend who will also make up lots of arguments that fixies are better than coasters. Some of them are quite ludicrous. Frankly I find it annoying. I appreciate arguments that are debated with logic, I appreciate arguments that are debated with emotion, but I don't accept arguments that are debated using ********.

If he said, I rode a coaster off-road and it was hard. I didn't enjoy it as much as on my fixie. etc, etc I'd be fine. But to imply some BS that fixies give more control in general is a pet hate of mine.

(I'm aware that in some very rare circumstances fixies do give more control)
    Last edited by Martin.au; 06-20-2006 at 05:22 PM.

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin.mac.au
    This sounds to me like he's making stuff up to try and demonstrate that fixies are better than coasters. Can someone explain the physics of why he's lifting the front end on climbs on a coaster but not on a fixie.
    Possibly different frame geometry? He didn't say it was the same bike he normally rides so its a bit difficult to make a direct comparison....it was an opinion, not a scientific test.

I have a friend who will also make up lots of arguments that fixies are better than coasters. Some of them are quite ludicrous. Frankly I find it annoying. I appreciate arguments that are debated with logic, I appreciate arguments that are debated with emotion, but I don't accept arguments that are debated using ********.
    Is INK your friend? Are his arguments the same? No, he is just posting a personal opinion which you have mis-read and flamed. Please define better too as I don't want there to be any confusion.

If he said, I rode a coaster off-road and it was hard. I didn't enjoy it as much as on my fixie. etc, etc I'd be fine.
    Thats what he said. Unless I'm reading it wrong in which case the education system has a lot to answer for.

But to imply some BS that fixies give more control in general is a pet hate of mine......(I'm aware that in some very rare circumstances fixies do give more control)
    So its true (in certain circumstances, and not that rare) but still BS? Make up your mind

There are a lot of people here who really take this stuff to heart....time to ride more and log-on less for me I think...

Alex
    -

silly person
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedpunk
    Possibly different frame geometry? He didn't say it was the same bike he normally rides so its a bit difficult to make a direct comparison....it was an opinion, not a scientific test.
    So if it's geometry how is it related to fixie or coaster?

Is INK your friend? Are his arguments the same? No, he is just posting a personal opinion which you have mis-read and flamed. Please define better too as I don't want there to be any confusion.
    Nope.
    Yep.
    His personal opinion just met my personal opinion.
    You don't need a definition of better.

Thats what he said. Unless I'm reading it wrong in which case the education system has a lot to answer for.
    Semantics are fun on the internet.

So its true (in certain circumstances, and not that rare) but still BS? Make up your mind
    Yes it's rare. No it doesn't apply offroad. To say a fixie is overall better and easier to control than a coaster is BS.

So far he sounds very similar to this friend of mine. I still agree with the babelfish version.

Needed Less ~ Did More

Mleh...

"___________________________________________"

(insert reasoned argument in space porvided, I can't be bothered)
    -

Looking to Start Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky 7
    Ha! This thread is hilarious. Some people take their hobbies too seriously, me thinks. If you reread the poor guy's first post, he's only saying that freewheeling messed HIM up because it's not what HE'S used to. I don't see anything in there that should be offensive to anyone else.

Here is my own version of what he said:

So I went to the ballpark today and accidentally got mustard on my hotdog instead of my usual ketchup. Gross! Me and mustard are not fond of one another and I almost had to throw my 7 dollar doggy away.

Why anybody likes mustard I'll never know.

Since this statement happens to be true for me (I hate mustard), am I going to get mauled for offending all the mustard lovers? Hang on, lemme find my flame suit...
    HELL YA DUDE!!!! I flippin HATE mustard. Girlfriend loves the yellow garbage. Can't eat a hot dog without it. Personally Mustard makes me want to throw up. The smell alone is of rotten fish and overcooked endtrails.

Now that my friends is a reply that is almost as rediculous as this entire thread (minus the poor fellas first post)
    Evolve or Die

velocipede technician

why?

why is it every time we talk fixxie we get in a fight?

King Pin

Hope

Fixie riders are a masochistic bunch, for sure. Something about the "connectedness to the bike" had me hooked a long time ago....I truly enjoy slowing down and taking in the scenery a bit. Much faster on the climbs, due to steeper gearing.....I really enjoy the flywheel effect of that rear wheel!

Most of my offroad riding involves coasting these days, but I still dust off my two fixie bikes quite often, and enjoy the simplicity (and challenging difficulty!).

Calm/relax/breathe......it's just a bike.

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Its only a handicap if it conflicts with your goals, please don't assume that your goals are shared by other riders
    Exactly!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

condiments

mustard rules, mayo is a vat of poison

Members who have read this thread: 0