Cars Are Evil

Fixed rear hub that uses casette cogs?

I want to try fixed for a while. I'd like to be able to use the singlespeed casette cogs I already have, so I can adjust. Does anybody make a hub that's fixed and uses casette cogs?

DiscoCowboy

Not that I know of

Best/Easiest bet is to pick up a TomiCog take off your disk rotor and bolt it on (assuming you have a disk hub) flip your wheel around and ride. Other option is depending on what kind of cog you have you can drill your own.

https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...t=15071&cat=24

Whatever you end up with it's fun... hard but fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    I want to try fixed for a while. I'd like to be able to use the singlespeed casette cogs I already have, so I can adjust. Does anybody make a hub that's fixed and uses casette cogs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What about just going for a Surly fixer and a cheap cog. That way you don't have to rethread the wheel.
    http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/fixxer_pop.html

is buachail foighneach me
    http://www.midwestbiketrials.com/sto...roducts_id=146

alot of ss/multispeed stock bikes use front freewheels and fixed rear hubs. this is not the only option:

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nope, no one makes one. I think it'd be a good idea, but the body would have to be made out of some tough stuff. You can try fixing your own freehub body. I've seen one that has screws drilled and tapped to prevent it from turning for a cheap fixed gear conversion.

you sure about that schmucker?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    A.M.Y. hinted about a splined fixie/free hub from White Industries in this thread. Show us the goods, A.M.Y.!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

DiscoCowboy

The Echo fixed cog

is still proprietary to the hubs isn't it? You couldn't take say a Surly cog and slap it onto the Echo hub correct?

Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    http://www.midwestbiketrials.com/sto...roducts_id=146

alot of ss/multispeed stock bikes use front freewheels and fixed rear hubs. this is not the only option:

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I wanted to try fixed gear, so I took the freehub body off my Shimano hub, then welded all around the back of it. If you've looked at the back of a freehub before, you know the gap where the inner part and outer part off the freehub meet and you can see all the tiny bearings inside it? Yeah, I was welded that solid. It worked very well, but I didn't have much fun so the modified freehub came back off and go thrown in the parts bin.

mtbr member
    g
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Nope, no one makes one. I think it'd be a good idea, but the body would have to be made out of some tough stuff. You can try fixing your own freehub body. I've seen one that has screws drilled and tapped to prevent it from turning for a cheap fixed gear conversion.
    Wrong

Try-all and Viz have fixed 6 speed cassette hubs.

mtbr member
    They use a proprietary cog mounting system (not Shimano splined cogs) but they look really nice...Level Components.

mtbr member
    The wheel is no longer in my possession. I wasn't able to get the chainline close enough. Here's what the interface looks like:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Those mountain bikes that yet / Fresh mountain bikes beget

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

the viz looks like a pretty standard spline interface to me, but i've never used one:

Members who have read this thread: 0