Fixed offroad EBB vs Horizontals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Fixed offroad EBB vs Horizontals

I am getting a 29er SS/fixed bike built up and I am having a hard time deciding between track ends with V brakes or an EBB with a disc mount. I will have a disc in the front and I am planning on running the bike fixed most of the time. I don't live in a wet climate and make a few trips to the mountains a year to ride where discs would be nice in the rear while SSing. Any opinions? Thanks.

R I D E S T E E L
    Good question. I'm building a 29er as well and have been wondering the same. I'm leaning towards horizontal drops on the rear for now, simple and lighter. Debating a disk on the front...

I'll but curious to see what others chime in with.

Tool
    A couple of makers have sliding drop outs w/ disc mounts. That said, the EBB builds I've seen are pretty nice.

What's the Hurry?
    Quote Originally Posted by Higbee
    I am getting a 29er SS/fixed bike built up and I am having a hard time deciding between track ends with V brakes or an EBB with a disc mount. I will have a disc in the front and I am planning on running the bike fixed most of the time. I don't live in a wet climate and make a few trips to the mountains a year to ride where discs would be nice in the rear while SSing. Any opinions? Thanks.
    imho it depends on how often you like to change gearing. if you only use one gear nearly all the time ebb is best, however with horizontal t-ends you could use a flip-flop hub and have a to the trail gear and an on the trail gear, no brake adjustment if set up carefully, although this would be problematic with direction specific tyres.
    regards, david
    What are we going to do tonight, Brain? Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world

King Pin

Smile

I ran the Ti Sofa King with Bushy EBB fixed for a long while, and the combination of my huge size/big fixed gear ratio had that thing a creakin' and such. Never a problem running SS. Vbrake front.

On the Vulture, with it's pinch-bolt EBB, running a big fixed gear, never a peep. Disc front.

IMO, the best of all fixie worlds would involve your choice of pinch bolt EBB OR track ends. I'd go for the pinch bolt EBB if you're planning on running a rear disc in the future, as it makes changing the rear tire so much easier.

My new Karate Monkey will serve dual fixie/SS duty, with Vbrakes.

mtbr member

horizontal

that's just my preference. Nice simple but I run a flip flop with different cogs and rim brakes.

FTM
    Track ends.
    You'll quickly find you don't need a rear brake when riding fixed. If you are only going to ride SS occasionally then you really won't have to deal with dialing in the rear Vs very often. I've seen a lot of questions/advise about EBBs posted to these forums but not many (besides this topic) about track ends. Why have the extra weight, moving parts and hassle if you don't need them.

I run a front disc brake and no rear brake. I can add a V brake if I ever decide to run it with a freewhweel but don't see that happening anytime soon and I ride in the San Gabriel Mountains almost every day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards the horizontals because and like keeping things simple. Adjusting the gearing without having to mess with the saddle position would be nice since the bike will be used as for off and on road duty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Don't do it with an EBB IMO.
    You can stretch your chain by large amounts on a fixy offroad in a short hard ride and adjusting an EBB on trail is a PITA.
    I've done disc at the front and nothing on the back on an EBB but as I live in England and ride through winter this setup gets very scary down steep muddy stuff as you use the front brake so much the grip on the mud tyre eventually lets go and then well it's quite amusing I imagine watching me one foot out the other foot spinning round trying to regain control.
    I switched to the same frame but with track ends and used Vs front and back and had more control overall.

As you don't live in wet climate you'll be fine on one brake but I'd still advise against the EBB for the on trail adjustment faff and personally I'd go track ends and slotted disc mount if you want that option in the future and a set of brake bosses as well.

What's the Hurry?

Best of all worlds?

You could use these for a really versatile frame...
    regards, David
    What are we going to do tonight, Brain? Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherWingnut
    You could use these for a really versatile frame...
    regards, David
    Except they make the frame look ugly IMO.
    That type of thing is the "best" solution but not the nicest looking.

What's the Hurry?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomL
    Except they make the frame look ugly IMO.
    That type of thing is the "best" solution but not the nicest looking.
    Agreed...But they do have a built in chain tug (addon chaintugs are ugly and a PITA when removing the wheel), so zero axle slippage. No brake issues, easy to run a rear disc regardless of wheel position in ends, non drive side "end" can be changed when running fixed for smoother looks and replaced with disc in correct position in a matter of minutes when reverting to ss. Vert d/outs, so m/gaurds (fenders) not a hassle if required.
    So, not pretty, but a good, does it all solution imo.
    A very nice example

Regards, David

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

EBB v track ends

You'll never have to fix your track ends beside the road.
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    If running fixie most of the time on this frame, I'd get track ends and a disc mount. The seatstays will look cleaner without the V-brake bosses, and obviously I wouldn't have the disc caliper mounted when running fixie. Wheel removal will be more of a hassle when running a freewheel, but if you're not racing, it's not a big deal. For a hub, I'd get a freewheel/disc, then use a Boone fixed cog so I could run fixie or free/disc.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great points. Drevil, I like the sound of the horizontals with the disc mount. I have to admit I like the clean lines on the stays sans the canti mounts. This might be the way to go, best of both worlds. The wheels are built with Surly disc hubs and the Boone cog was ordered last week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

crank clearance?

I've been considering riding an EBB fixed and have wondered if the EBB gives the user some ability to adjust the bottom brackt for better clearance. If the EBB is rotated up how much height are we talking about anyway? I suppose by pairing the EBB up with an ENO hub would a flexible setup.. or nightmare.

Members who have read this thread: 0