Fixed Obsession.- Mtbr.com
    King Pin

Bonking ... not feelin' well Fixed Obsession.

Fixed.

Ever since my good ol' Tucson friend paid a visit, I've become somewhat infatuated with the whole fixed-gear thing.

Hence, I've recently put together a nice black Surly frame...and the fixed hub wheelset will be built manana. Front brake ONLY, of course. Am I nutso??

WTB dirt drops courtesy of Matt Chester. 287V lever on the left. Avid Vbrake up front. 32/16 to start off.

I've done an exhaustive search, and found some fixed gear stuff. Will I die doing this??

Just wanting to get back to the roots...........I REALLY need to attempt this transformation. Should be fun...??

Bikes not Bombs.....

Have you been to Fixed gear Mecca.......?

I love two websites

The fixed gear gallery and Bill Ron's site = www.billronbikes.com

Anybody have any others to add to the list?

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

"Mr. Britannica"

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Just wanting to get back to the roots...........I REALLY need to attempt this transformation. Should be fun...??
    If you've never done it, are you "getting back to the roots?"
    Good luck, regardless!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Sheldon, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    If you've never done it, are you "getting back to the roots?"
    Good luck, regardless!
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/index.html

mtbr member

Squalor
    Jan 2004

Not Nuts...

You will probably like it!

I bought a Karate Monkey a little over a year ago to try out the 29er thing. Loved it...bought a IF 29er frame, and fixed the KM.

It really is a lot of fun. I ride the KM fixed 2 teeth lower than my freewheel SS IF.

The best advice is to start off on a trail you know pretty well. You kind of know what to expect, so it makes the first few rides a little less stressfull.

Also really try to ride "loose". You ARE going to have pedal strikes, and you WILL get kicked in the rear a few times untill you get the hang of it, but if you ride "loose" it is much easier to take it in stride.

After a while the freewheel will feel all shoddy. I still take the freewheel bike to harder or new trails, but I probably log more miles on the KM at my local loop.

Good Luck and remember..."loose"

Lance

mtbr member

Depends on your definition of "nutso"

Fixed.

Ever since my good ol' Tucson friend paid a visit, I've become somewhat infatuated with the whole fixed-gear thing.

Hence, I've recently put together a nice black Surly frame...and the fixed hub wheelset will be built manana. Front brake ONLY, of course. Am I nutso??
    Personally I have no interest in riding fixed off-road. Just doesn't sound that appealiing. But countless others say the same thing about riding a singlespeed, so I say if you think it's something you might like, go for it. Who cares if people think you're nuts....

I think I'll stick to fixed on the road though. After my usual commute tomorrow I'll have turned over 1000 miles on the IRO Jamie Roy I built up in early March...

-Trevor

blame me for missed rides
    speaking of fixed gear off-roading, has anyone tried fixed gear full suspension? because riding fixed gear off-road means a lot of pedaled downhilling (so you butt has to be on the saddle), a full sussy fixie is a more comfortable descender.

just a thought

mtbr member

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by weather
    speaking of fixed gear off-roading, has anyone tried fixed gear full suspension? because riding fixed gear off-road means a lot of pedaled downhilling (so you butt has to be on the saddle), a full sussy fixie is a more comfortable descender.
    just a thought
    Why does one's buttocks have to be on the saddle when pedaling? I thought that was one of the beauties of riding fixed... that being the ability to (or training one to...) pedal while slightly off the saddle in anticipation of bumps.

"On any road bike, the rider must learn to un-weight the saddle to ride over bumps. Most cyclists coast to do this. A fixed-gear rider will learn to "post" over bumps without breaking stride." --SB. I would imagine the same is applicable to off-road riding.

Not to mention that fact that there are few FS bikes that could handle a fixed set-up.

dd..''

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lanpope

It really is a lot of fun. I ride the KM fixed 2 teeth lower than my freewheel SS IF.

Lance
    Good advice. It will slow you down until you learn how to use your chain to stop. The front break only is hazardous in slick conditions unless you know how to use both together. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by weather
    I started fixie off-road with a front shock - because I thought I needed it, but have since gone full rigid. There's a limit to how fast you're legs can spin, and since you "have" to spin, it means pedal strikes on a really rough decent if you don't pick your line carefully. Posting works just fine.

I do have a URT that I could ENO into a fixie, so I might try it out one day, but for now, keeping it light and simple is where I'm at (as far as fixies are concerned...).

A front brake is good.

Cheers,

Tom

hispanic mechanic

I love my fixie 'cross bike off-road!

Riding fixed gear on trails is certainly different, and not for everyone. That being said, I have so much more fun riding my Cross-Check on trails now that it's fixed. When I ride the fairly basic trails that are near my home, I always seem to grab the fixie now.
    So, no. You're not nuts.

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Fat Boy Deluxe

Not Nuts

Fixed.

WTB dirt drops courtesy of Matt Chester. 287V lever on the left. Avid Vbrake up front. 32/16 to start off.

I've done an exhaustive search, and found some fixed gear stuff. Will I die doing this??

I wouldn't say your nuts, but it's definitely not for everyone. It takes a lot of concentration in the beginning, which at least for me was hard to get around. One of the reasons I started singlespeeding was because I hated thinking about shifting...

Depending how you look at it, really tech sections either become really hard (sometimes walkable) or the just become more fun and you technically improve a great deal. The only beef I have with fixed gear riding is really long downhills, like fire road stuff. Spinning 30+ mph for a couple of miles downhill can sometimes take some of the fun out of enjoying a long thoughtless downhill where speed is the game (I don't clip out just because it's a long downhill).

Then again, on the technical side, I actually think it makes stuff easier. Last year at ECNASSCU, I dabbed in a lot of the rock gardens (was on a regular ss), this year I cleared all the rock gardens (rode fixed) and I believe it was the control the fixie brought to my riding that helped me.

Try it, but give yourself a good month of riding before really assessing how you like it. There is a pretty big learning curve when it comes to rock gardens, logs, and downhills - or in some cases the logs on the downhills, ha.

Have fun!

DT

hidden persuasions

Well said DT...

Quote Originally Posted by DmofoT
    I wouldn't say your nuts, but it's definitely not for everyone. It takes a lot of concentration in the beginning, which at least for me was hard to get around. One of the reasons I started singlespeeding was because I hated thinking about shifting...

Depending how you look at it, really tech sections either become really hard (sometimes walkable) or the just become more fun and you technically improve a great deal. The only beef I have with fixed gear riding is really long downhills, like fire road stuff. Spinning 30+ mph for a couple of miles downhill can sometimes take some of the fun out of enjoying a long thoughtless downhill where speed is the game (I don't clip out just because it's a long downhill).

Then again, on the technical side, I actually think it makes stuff easier. Last year at ECNASSCU, I dabbed in a lot of the rock gardens (was on a regular ss), this year I cleared all the rock gardens (rode fixed) and I believe it was the control the fixie brought to my riding that helped me.

Try it, but give yourself a good month of riding before really assessing how you like it. There is a pretty big learning curve when it comes to rock gardens, logs, and downhills - or in some cases the logs on the downhills, ha.

Have fun!

DT

looks like we might have a new discussion board spin off...???
    The one major flaw in a democracy is that the majority could be wrong.

mtbr member

ride with me some time

The past few days have been interesting, riding wise.

On Wednesday, the last nice day, I rode to and from Hartland/Milwaukee. Nothing out of the ordinary on my ride in, but on the way back home, boy! I got honked at right before crossing the bridge that separates Milwaukee and Tosa, and then again in Pewaukee…but the worst was the woman in Brookfield who gave me indescribable hand gestures because I guess I had the right of way on a left turn lane. I was waiting behind a car to turn left, and also waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear (Pilgrim and North Ave.).

The car in front of me turned, but I couldn’t because there was another car coming, and me, being the vehicle made of flesh and a 20something-lbs. bike under me, I waited, light turned yellow, and I turned. Little did I know that I upset the lady behind me. As I got on my way on east North Ave., she slowed down, and yelled and cursed and gave me hand gestures…all this with her window rolled up. Oh, she was pissed!

So I biked my Surly Pacer up the hill, and then down the next…and another stoplight. I happen to slowly pass next to her car on what I had for a shoulder on the road, and waved/smiled, perhaps making her think that I knew her or something. She looked away in disgust. People like her shouldn’t be driving.

But before that, I got honked at by that bridge. Who knows why. And the honk in Pewaukee was because in down town Pewaukee, with all the people walking and enjoying the day, it so happens that there’s no room to move aside for cars. SO I took over the lane and cruised at a comfortable and leisurely Pewaukee style 20 mph. I guess the lady in the Ford Exploder behind me didn’t find it amusing that people were relaxing on the beach, leisurely walks, etc. Even Seester’s was serving margaritas outside.

Well, as soon as I approached the railroad tracks, which is right where there’s a bike lane, she honked (a long, angry honk), and revved the engine and sped off into the lameness of her fast McLife. Idiot.

Yesterday I had to drive so I could do some deliveries at all 4 El Rey stores for the grand opening of the North Shore Bank at the Nana’s store.

Today, despite the rain, my bike is carefully tucked under the stairs of 316 North Milwaukee Street. It’s a Surly Pacer, and I made it a fixed gear bike by using an ENO eccentric hub. Works like a charm, and it gets me home quicker than if I used my cross bike, which has a freewheel. My bikes ROCK!