fixed monocog?- Mtbr.com

Thread: fixed monocog?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

fixed monocog?

I was thinking the other day about trying out fixed gear in the city, and went down to my lbs and tried out a specialized langster set up as a fixie, and, well, it could take some getting used to, but all in all, i liked it and came up with this crazy idea. I would like to build up a monocog as a fixed gear with a front brake....but theres a catch. Since the bike will see limited dirt, i was thinking about running 700c wheels with cyclocross tires and maybe a emergency brake on the front.(disc probably). Is this a bad idea? Any other suggestions for a similar build?

Really I am that slow

It well work but.....

A 700c wheel well not line up the brake posts on the stock fork or the rear brake posts. So you would need a disk fork or a surly crosscheck fork or somthing like that.

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004
    If you have a newer MonoCog then you have the ability to ad disk brakes, and should have no problem.
    bus driver wanna be

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3
    I was thinking the other day about trying out fixed gear in the city, and went down to my lbs and tried out a specialized langster set up as a fixie, and, well, it could take some getting used to, but all in all, i liked it and came up with this crazy idea. I would like to build up a monocog as a fixed gear with a front brake....but theres a catch. Since the bike will see limited dirt, i was thinking about running 700c wheels with cyclocross tires and maybe a emergency brake on the front.(disc probably). Is this a bad idea? Any other suggestions for a similar build?
    I have been running my first generation MonoCog fixed for about 3 months. So far no problems. Never looked into the 700c wheels, but with the stock wheels and slick tires I do fine. I run 38x16 and am about to change to 44x16. If you use stock wheels you will need to run a front brake, since there are no threads for a lock ring. No lock ring + no front brake = bad
    Roscoe's Chicken 'n Waffles

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Paul Comp may help

Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    A 700c wheel well not line up the brake posts on the stock fork or the rear brake posts. So you would need a disk fork or a surly crosscheck fork or somthing like that.
    I wondered about running cross (700c) wheels on my mtb and came up with the following solution - Use a set of the BMX Motolite brakes from Paul Components, allow the brake blocks to rise to a position where the will align with 700c rims and give excellent braking power

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    heres a thead from another board from somone who bought one setup that way...

http://forum.bikemag.com/forum/showf...=&fpart=1&vc=1

looks pretty cool! (scroll down for a pic)