Fixed hub question....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Fixed hub question....

My commuter will be fixed soon.....I am looking for a good hub.

One of the choices would be this:

I understand that you can mount a cog on the disk rotor, right? On the other side I could have a freewheel, to make it a flipflop.....

An alternative could be this:

A standard double fixed hub....

What would be a better choice ?

Thanks. I am a complete newby on this....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The wait for a boone cog is probably pretty long. That would be something to take into consideration. I'm not sure what other companies are making cogs drilled in that fashion.

Harrumph
    It will be easier to find cogs/lockrings for the normal hub, and cheaper to replace.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    they arent currently on the website, but Kogswell cycles sells nice steel disk iso drilled cogs for 15 dollars each, they come in 16 and 18 tooth. They also sell that same inbred hub but branded kogswell for 50 bucks. check out http://www.kogswell.com/
    not affiliated, just a customer.
    miles

velocipede technician
    looking for 20-21" P team

French for "Suck"
    A drill-press and some cheap Shimano DX cogs can do wondrous things... But I'd say do whichever agrees with your chainline more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    A drill-press and some cheap Shimano DX cogs can do wondrous things... But I'd say do whichever agrees with your chainline more.
    That is what I was thinking. I can only see pros, not cons when compared to screw-on cogs......right ?

French for "Suck"
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter
    That is what I was thinking. I can only see pros, not cons when compared to screw-on cogs......right ?
    The only cons that I can see are if chainline doesn't work out, or if you want to run a disc brake on the rear. Otherwise, I'm surprised folks aren't purposely selling these for this application.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

ever TRIED to trill those cheap DK cogs

I got a DMR revolver hub (looks just like the one-one hub from ehat i can tell). and a Set of cheap chrome BMX cogs (i forget the brand, shimano DX knock-offs, bu the set of 6, 13T-18T was onlt $20 from universal cycles). I set up my drill press with some nice titanium and cobalt coated bits, clamped an ISO rotor to the 16T cog with some welding clamps, and proceeded to start drilling. One week, many swears, and several bits later, I have still het to finish hole #1. O don't know what these things are made of, but i can't drill it. Save your time, and spend the $$ on a pre-drilled cog.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Chainline seems to work pretty well, i got lucky with myspindle length i guess. You can always use ISO drilled spacer rings if needed. (or if you have a lathe - turn down your hub to go the other way).

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Standard thread-on/lockrings are an old design that works, but not well for off-road fixed, or heavy riders. I have stripped several lock rings.

The DMR revoilver hub is around $50. It has some extra drilling in the disc flange to make it lighter and look like a "revolver" barrelI I got mine at universalcycles.com for arounf $45 by using a 10% off coupon code. I think the coggswell, DMR, and one-one are all the same hub.

Uses a cromo steel hollow axle with bolts for bolt on, or quick release. The DMR only comes in 135mm, but i took 2.5mm off of each cone spacer on the lathe to make it a 130mm hub.

The only difficult part is finding cogs that i can actually drill through.

Another cool thing you can do with a converted ISO hub is run "LEFT" side drive. It's a novelty. I did it because i found some good cheap 170mm shimano DX Tandem captain' ccranks on ebay (2 pair for $35). The only down side to Left hand drive is that you can't run the hub as a flip flop with a freewheel.

mtbr member

me too!

Quote Originally Posted by gomestr
    I got a DMR revolver hub (looks just like the one-one hub from ehat i can tell). and a Set of cheap chrome BMX cogs (i forget the brand, shimano DX knock-offs, bu the set of 6, 13T-18T was onlt $20 from universal cycles). I set up my drill press with some nice titanium and cobalt coated bits, clamped an ISO rotor to the 16T cog with some welding clamps, and proceeded to start drilling. One week, many swears, and several bits later, I have still het to finish hole #1. O don't know what these things are made of, but i can't drill it. Save your time, and spend the $$ on a pre-drilled cog.
    Man, I had the same experience. Using either a cheap Nashbar cog or a Shimano cog, I had no luck with my drill press. Using a carbide tipped bit, I managed to get one hole in the Nashbar cog, but the bit was shot after that. Very frustrating.

I ended up with this plan: weld an old freehub to make it fixed. No flip flop, but I think most people don't flip anyway.

Eric

Members who have read this thread: 0