Fixed great mtb and cornering...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fixed great mtb and cornering...

Quick question for all you fixed riders: how do you handle cornering? I ran fixed on my fat bike for a ride, but couldn't figure out how to successfully corner with any speed at all. No matter what I tried my pedals dug in... Is this a bb height issue, or a technique thing? I would really like to figure it out because running fixed was fun as hell aside from that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That's part if the joy of riding fixed gear off-road. The other part would be smacking rocks, logs, and such while riding straight ahead. You could try 160 mm cranks or run a freewheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DualRollers View Post
    Quick question for all you fixed riders: how do you handle cornering? I ran fixed on my fat bike for a ride, but couldn't figure out how to successfully corner with any speed at all. No matter what I tried my pedals dug in... Is this a bb height issue, or a technique thing? I would really like to figure it out because running fixed was fun as hell aside from that.
    IMO "the fun as hell" is all that matters. I'm no super rider but I love riding SS, rigid, and FG. It seems counterintuitive to be an average Joe and raise the technical bar with FG even hirer but I like it! And that's what makes me feel like I'm just riding and not judging if I should "do this" or "do that". Ride a fixed bike, get off and push if I must or retry that tricky section. It makes me feel like I'm doing my own thing and not thinking to be something more than I am.

When my crank digs in on a curve then it doesn't mean I need to change my gear - it's just riding.

Moderator Moderator
    Nose wheelie around all corners.

-Walt

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    running fixed gear makes you worse at corner at other non fixed geared bike.

mtbr member
    Learning to time / position your crank positions while cornering will definitely help.

Are you running super low tire pressure? The deformed tire is likely eating up your pedal clearance with the ground...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by paqrat View Post
    Learning to time / position your crank positions while cornering will definitely help.

Are you running super low tire pressure? The deformed tire is likely eating up your pedal clearance with the ground...
    _FIXED_ gear. You don't really have a choice as to your crank position when entering a corner...it is where it is.

Which is also the answer here. It is what it is. You'll have to adjust your riding style to compensate...you'll be taking corners slower and more upright to avoid pedal strikes...which are also just going to happen. Par for the course

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Nose wheelie around all corners.

-Walt
    Or even just wheelie. Walt is on the right track here, just think outside of the box.

mtbr member
    When the left cranks down, turn right 😂👍

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Fat bikes often have low BBs and the wide Q-factor makes matters worse. Cornering when fixed is a challenge.

As for timing the cranks, you can do it just like you do when going over obstacles: stop the cranks and skip the rear before the corner (or obstacle) to have the cranks in a desired position when it's critical. It's hard as hell, I'm still struggling with it.

I like fixed MTB riding, but my fat bike is and remains singlespeed (or geared sometimes).