mtbr member

Fixed gears ... gears

Hello I love riding fixed gears on the road and I would like to try it also offroad.

I'm wonderin which gears is the best to start, I've done single speed riding on my old 26" wheeled bike with 36-20 that equals to something like 32-20 on my soon to be 29" fixed bike.

Is it better to start with an easier gear like 32-22 or a little bit harder for the downilll like 32-18.

Frame will be the Surly Karate Monkey or maybe the Kona Unit 2-9

Thanks a lot
    my blog: BICIFISSA

'Calm Down'
    Depends on your trails. Here in the Midwest I used to run 34x17 most of the time on my 26" bike. On my 29er I run 34x18 free and 36x17 fixed. You definitely don't want to run an easier gear fixed off road, unless of course you really want to work on your spin.

There's an interesting set up artical on 63xc.com that covers gearing -> Click Here

jw

Quote Originally Posted by Aldone
    Hello I love riding fixed gears on the road and I would like to try it also offroad.

I'm wonderin which gears is the best to start, I've done single speed riding on my old 26" wheeled bike with 36-20 that equals to something like 32-20 on my soon to be 29" fixed bike.

Is it better to start with an easier gear like 32-22 or a little bit harder for the downilll like 32-18.

Thanks a lot
    Last edited by GrumpyOne; 08-24-2007 at 07:25 AM.
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Here in AZ I use a 38:18 on my fixed monkey. I tend to not use it on very steep climbs, but I like the big gear for descending.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm running 36:18 on a 29er, which is the same that I run free. Last year before I got my crankset I ran 32:18, which had me spinning like a Hamster on crack. I live in SE Michigan.

mtbr member
    Run a fixed that will let you climb most of your hills. Use a flip-flop hub so you can switch to freewheel for the downhills.

Dr Gadget is IN

Close

Quote Originally Posted by Aldone

Thanks a lot
    I just happen to have a medium KM/rigid/fixed currently running a 34/20. I started with a 34/22 since I was just starting out with SS/fixed, but after 3 months that was too easy - a slope that barely required standing didn't give enough resistance, so it was standing/spinning time. 34/20 does everything except high speed descents - but on those it still lets you control your speed w/o brakes.

Anyways - 34/20 with 175 RotoR cranks, and I ride on this trail: http://www.hornytoadhustle.org/expert_map.html

I do run brakes front/rear, but there are only a few places where I have to.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Who turned out the lights
    I just run the same gear whether fixed or free, but mostly b/c I don't want to move my EBB around and it's just an easy wheel switch. 34x20, but we don't have a lot of really big climbs/descents.

My only thought is that the bb on the KM is a little bit low. I got a good # of pedal strikes on it in rocky areas. My Rock Lobster has a bit higher bb (+/-12") and I don't get as many pedal strikes.

Have fun.

First off I ain't fast on da fixie...........that said, here in Pisgah NC, I run a 34/18 on my 26" bike. I built it with a 73 ST and a 72 HT. The cranks are 165mm which gives me plenty of clearance when things get tight on the single track. I think the most important thing you want to be able to do when ridding a fixie is to be able to "reel it in" at any time, if you are pushing gears that are too hard or fast, you will/can find your self in some big trouble in an instant. I like to be able to lock up the rear end at will when blazing downward. My .02 .............peace
    "Roll your own......." Smokebikes.com

Harrumph
    Talk to your local SS'ers and find out what they are running. And then go a few teeth over them. I run a 34/16 (26in wheel) and it allows me plenty of gear for climbing and braking, but lets me go more than 10mph on the flats and downhill.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by bh357
    I ran 32:18, which had me spinning like a Hamster on crack.
    Thanks for the visual - and the laugh.

Boss can't figure out what is so funny about me working on the company website.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I am using 38:16 and 34:20., using dual cogs and dual chainring.
    I have tried 38:17, but did not like the gearing, it was to heavy in the forest.

(I want to try 36:18 or 35:19 some day)

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by atlek
    I am using 38:16 and 34:20., using dual cogs and dual chainring.
    I have tried 38:17, but did not like the gearing, it was to heavy in the forest.

(I want to try 36:18 or 35:19 some day)
    What crank / hub / cog setup are you using? Got pics?
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Ozark Native

same as SS

ridin fixed ist different when it comes to gears it has alot to do with riding technique. its just a hoot. dont over think it just ride

love the unit! 32/18
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0