FIxed gear at SM 100?- Mtbr.com
    Category Winner

Fixed gear at SM 100?

I asked this over on the enduro nut job forum, but seeing how the majority of the SS freaks hang out here I thought this would be a good place to ask.

Am I a dumbass? I am thinking about doing it just for shirts and giggles. I put my bolt-on cog and a Torx tool in a zip lock bag and packed it for the trip. I know it has been done before, but is it a really stupid course to do it on? Lots of techy descending? Long road downhills? Circus clowns running around on the course that will mock me?
    I need Ritalin.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It's been done several times over the past few years.
    I think the record stands around 9:45

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles
    It's been done several times over the past few years.
    I think the record stands around 9:45
    Yeah, I've seen that it's been done. I guess my questions are more course specific. What about the descents, roads, and clowns?
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey TD, not to hijack your thread by any means but, I am from NC too. I have talked to you before on Triangle about riding the Burn on a rigid SS. haha. It went well. I have a 1x1 fully rigid and your advice was great. Ran a big fat tubeless tire and had a great time. I just never got to meet you there haha. Oh well. NOT TO HIJACK THIS THREAD, but where did you get the disc brake cog that makes your bike fixed. I would love to try fixed sometimes and don't really want to spend $$ on another wheelset. Thanks my man, JC

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingBash
    Oh well. NOT TO HIJACK THIS THREAD, but where did you get the disc brake cog that makes your bike fixed. I would love to try fixed sometimes and don't really want to spend $$ on another wheelset. Thanks my man, JC
    Endless in Asheville.
    http://www.endlessbikes.com/
    Not sure if he is making them anymore, but try contacting Marshall. It's a pretty cool fix. You can also drill out a Shimano DX cog, if you know someone with the skilz.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Yeah, I've seen that it's been done. I guess my questions are more course specific. What about the descents, roads, and clowns?
    Descents are not quite typical East coast trails in that many are fast and smooth. The first two mountains will be some what technical, but the rest have fewer technical sections. The descent off of Hankey Mtn down through Dowels Draft is very fast and off camber.....would be interesting fixed! Probably 6 miles of that.

Lots of gravel and paved road but you will mostly be level or climbing on those.

Most of the clowns should be at the pavillion around the kegs.
    Last edited by mtnpat; 08-31-2006 at 06:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I asked this over on the enduro nut job forum, but seeing how the majority of the SS freaks hang out here I thought this would be a good place to ask.

Am I a dumbass? I am thinking about doing it just for shirts and giggles. I put my bolt-on cog and a Torx tool in a zip lock bag and packed it for the trip. I know it has been done before, but is it a really stupid course to do it on? Lots of techy descending? Long road downhills? Circus clowns running around on the course that will mock me?
    I need Ritalin.

Yo Dicky, Just do it man!
    You will not be alone out there, myself and couple others are down.

I'm figuring it'll be easier than what I went thru at the 101, it's a mile shorter right? And I don't plan to take a flyer on the first climb like I did in Coburn. I think the course will be more pleasurable than the 101, not so much of that rolling fireroad and falseflat down doubletrack. Techy descents? There's nothing in the Hundo that concerns me in that regard, for the most part it flows like butter. None of the paved/fireroad descents are too long to deal with, couple of qwik hits but nothing prolonged. Circus clowns? well maybe, depends on what sort of 'supplements' you take during the effort....

And if you have a 'goal' of other than just finishing, Tim R. set the fixy benchmark at 9:49 back in '02 or '03, Joel has turned in a couple efforts of just over 10hrs and a fella I don't know did it in 12+, I kinda think he was on more of a cross bike setup. I think it's a matter of turning over the gear the best you can and seeing where it takes you.......I'm figuring on a 10-11 hour effort, maybe a smidge quicker if I have good sensations, if not, I might regret not having lights.

DiscoCowboy

Almost had to ride fixe

at SM this year, but luckily I'll have my SS back and ready to ride
    I've been riding fixed road for quite a few years and fixed offroad off and on for about 3 (mostly off), I find it really fun and challenging, but I like the downhills too much and think being fixed would rip my legs apart after 100 miles (actually before).

Major props if you do!

I need Ritalin.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by tomimcmillar
    ... and a fella I don't know did it in 12+, I kinda think he was on more of a cross bike setup...
    You're probably talking about Dom. Go for it Dicky!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    You're probably talking about Dom. Go for it Dicky!
    yeah, that would be it, sorry about the cloudy memory, 11:41 sure ain't 12+......

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by tomimcmillar
    yeah, that would be it, sorry about the cloudy memory, 11:41 sure ain't 12+......
    You're good, slim. He got 12:39 last year. That post was from '04.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I dunno, fixed is fun and everything but IMO those descents on that course are way too much fun to not be able to moto. Wolf, Dowells, Braleys and Chestnut...you can hit 40 on the singletrack on Chestnut!

I was going to ride the SS this weekend but then it broke and now I'm riding the double-o-double-o-boing boing.

Category Winner
    One more decision to make. I normally run a Diesel 2.5 UST up front with a Spider 2.1 UST in the rear. I am thinking about swapping to a 1.9F/1.7R Karma UST. I used to run 1.5 Contis back in the day (@2000 AD) on a 63mm front travel ti hardtail, and I ran them everywhere. I was thinking I would enjoy the lower rolling resistance and weight (almost two pounds). When the trail goes down I won't have the cush of the Diesel, but I will have to descend slower with the fixie.
    Thoughts??? Over reactions?? Clown comments?
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    always go big. It just looks cooler.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    ride the diesels.
    You want to be sweatin about flatting those road tires all day long?

large member
    One more decision to make. I normally run a Diesel 2.5 UST up front with a Spider 2.1 UST in the rear. I am thinking about swapping to a 1.9F/1.7R Karma UST. I used to run 1.5 Contis back in the day (@2000 AD) on a 63mm front travel ti hardtail, and I ran them everywhere. I was thinking I would enjoy the lower rolling resistance and weight (almost two pounds). When the trail goes down I won't have the cush of the Diesel, but I will have to descend slower with the fixie.
    Tough question. I run a Diesel 2.5 front myself and these trails are my "backyard" trails. That tire has saved my a$$ more than a dozen times at speed on the great descents you will be riding. Then again, if you ride the fixie and roll them slower, this may not be as big a deal.
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed toolbag 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    my theory is that when rolling down Chestnut late in the race with blown arms and shoulders spun out on the fixie, you'll really appreciate the extra cush/margin of error that the Diesal gives you......

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    yo tommy-- what gear you runnin on the fix-o-nopolis ???

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Damn I wish my SS frame wasn't broke.

I really want to turn the screws on you all.

Maybe this year I'll make up for last year when I took myself out by augering up the trail with my face trying to be a hero before checkpoint 1.

Category Winner
    Here we go. Sounds like too much fun not to join the party.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoutside
    yo tommy-- what gear you runnin on the fix-o-nopolis ???
    32:16 on my 26".
    Rode a final tune up spin last night in Michaux,
    Buck was turning over his 34:18 on the 29er quite well,
    but he may drop it down to 32:18.

Assuming you'll be there with C'ville Mafia?
    I'm figuring to roll into the venue around noonish after the obligatory swing thru the shop and Mr J's.....

T

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Here we go. Sounds like too much fun not to join the party.
    those pictures sizzle,
    so HOT!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

fixed moving

I think there's a good number of folks coming down to Stokeville with fixie in hand... rumor has it. The course is probably a little better than the W101 for doing it with a little less furniture to stick a pedal. But, the slick off-camber stuff is gonna be a scare because you will be spinning like a hamster.

Tom- coming back for more after the 101 is a clear sign of mental clarity. Good luck to ya.

I'll be there with short cranks and 34/17 on 26"

Andy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mafia is reporting for battle

Wezz comin.

I'll either be there single or fixed........gotta see how things pan out in my brain

J

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoutside
    gotta see how things pan out in my brain
    J
    There's your first mistake. Don't go getting unnecessary organs involved in the decision making process.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Members who have read this thread: 0