Fixed gear cog questions...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Fixed gear cog questions...

I am building up a budget singlespeed and I have a question about mounting a fixed gear cog on the rear hub.

The hub I have is an old style hub threaded for a freewheel. Is it possible to mount a fixed gear cog on a freewheel-threaded hub? I don't know if you can use a lockring because it isn't "stepped" like I've seen with other fixed specific hubs.

I'd really like to use this hub and I want to make this bike a fixie, so any info would be great!

Thanks!

KavuBiker

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Yup, many do, without issues. I use blue loctite, and even though some don't think it's a good idea, I like putting a BB lockring on there as well. I use a Surly rear hub.

Quote Originally Posted by KavuBiker
    I am building up a budget singlespeed and I have a question about mounting a fixed gear cog on the rear hub.

The hub I have is an old style hub threaded for a freewheel. Is it possible to mount a fixed gear cog on a freewheel-threaded hub? I don't know if you can use a lockring because it isn't "stepped" like I've seen with other fixed specific hubs.

I'd really like to use this hub and I want to make this bike a fixie, so any info would be great!

Thanks!

KavuBiker

"Mr. Britannica"

yes

You can thread on a cog as long as it's not a real small one (13, 14?). You can use a lockring, but it will have to be an old BB lockring, English threaded. It obviously won't be reverse threaded, so won't be as secure but a bit of blue loctite (not red) should do the trick as long as you don't go nuts with backpedal pressure. I did this for awhile. You might also need to redish the wheel for ideal chainline, but sometimes this isn't absolutely necessary (I never did it).

mtbr member

... and if we just ... I was thinking of an 18T cog...

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    You can thread on a cog as long as it's not a real small one (13, 14?). You can use a lockring, but it will have to be an old BB lockring, English threaded. It obviously won't be reverse threaded, so won't be as secure but a bit of blue loctite (not red) should do the trick as long as you don't go nuts with backpedal pressure. I did this for awhile. You might also need to redish the wheel for ideal chainline, but sometimes this isn't absolutely necessary (I never did it).

I'll start looking for a BB lockring. I'll also be building a new wheel on this hub (no dish in the wheel).

Any way I can really make sure that this won't come unthreaded? I don't really plan on changing the cogs.

Thank you!

KavuBiker

badjenny fan club founder

Loctite? Lockring? Ha!

I commuted about 10,000 miles over 5 years on my fixed road bike with an old Suntour freewheel hub, no lockring, no Loctite. I actually greased the threads in the cog, to make sure I could get it off when I wanted too. And when I did want to, damn it was tight! I never had any unthreading problem, but I don't pedal-brake really hard too often. YMMV.

voodoo child
    Any way I can really make sure that this won't come unthreaded? I don't really plan on changing the cogs.
    Red loctite is stronger than Blue. JB Weld is stronger than just about anything. If you use brakes to slow/stop rather than skid stops, the
    blue loctite will probably be sufficient.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

do these things and all will be well

obtain a high quality track cog. the best currently available is Euro-Asia, your shop can order them, or you can get one from www.bicycleclassics.com, they come in sizes as large as around 22t if I recall. the reason for this is because these and other pro quality track cogs have thicker flanges, so more threading. with a thin less expensive cog, there's a good chance you will spin the cog on the hub threads, destroying the threads, the larger the rear cog, the greater the chance of this happening. been there done that. old suntour, shitmano, or campy track cogs are also good, but the EA is the easiest to locate these days.
    it will thread right on an english-thread freewheel hub. Use copious amounts of blue 242 threadlock and you Will Not spin it off, indeed, you will likely break your chain whip trying to remove it later, unless you first heat up the cog for a couple of minutes with a soldering iron, or for a shorter period with a torch. If there's room on the threads and it makes you feel happy, feel free to use a lockring from an english threaded bb, but with the loctite, the lockring is basically doing nothing for you.
    you may well have to move the r side axle spacers to the l side to get a perfect chainline, which means you'll have to redish an existing wheel, that's easy. if it's an old wheel, put a drop of penetrating oil at each spoke/nipple juncture before starting, to eliminate the heartbreak of seized nipples and rounded flats on them.

mtbr member

Sounds good!

I'll have to try the blue loctite! I was going to JB Weld that sucker on there, but I don't really want to destroy the hub/cog.

By EA cog, you mean the EAI cog, right? That is what I was going to get. I was figuring an 18T so that shouldn't be a problem to find. I think I might still try the lockring with the blue loctite, just in case. Can't really be too careful, but what you said just boosted my confidence on this project!

Thanks all!

KavuBiker

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly
    Red loctite is stronger than Blue. JB Weld is stronger than just about anything. If you use brakes to slow/stop rather than skid stops, the
    blue loctite will probably be sufficient.
    The blue 242 will hold just fine, even under skids w/o a lockring just make sure everything is clean when you install it. I have had no issues with mine, and even broke my last chainwhip trying to get it off.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

JAK
    mtbr member

Hey Kavu...

By EA cog, you mean the EAI cog, right? That is what I was going to get.

KavuBiker
    I have two EAI cogs and they are too wide for my Phil hub. There is no room for threading on a lock ring. They must be for the step-down style threaded hubz?? I just noticed this a couple weeks ago and ended up tossing the Surly cogs back on. Just make sure you do not get the wide ones. Anybody else run into this??

KlearAboveVisibilityUnlimited!
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... KAVU represent!

Quote Originally Posted by JAK
    I have two EAI cogs and they are too wide for my Phil hub. There is no room for threading on a lock ring. They must be for the step-down style threaded hubz?? I just noticed this a couple weeks ago and ended up tossing the Surly cogs back on. Just make sure you do not get the wide ones. Anybody else run into this??

KlearAboveVisibilityUnlimited!

KAVU rules! They make some great stuff, tough outdoors clothing! I represent them actually.

KavuBiker