Fixed on dirt is teh stupid fun roxor my soxor hella gnarcore...- Mtbr.com
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Fixed on dirt is teh stupid fun roxor my soxor hella gnarcore...

Damn, gotta' stop reading the DH forum.

So I took the Surly Dingle cog equipped crosser/commuter for a sping today. 42x17 on ~ 7 miles of road out to the local default trail, Hall Ranch. Loosened the wheel up, moved the chain onto the 21T "cog" and started on the dirt.

Wow! Granted, I did avoid the normal rocky stem climb up that I take on the big bikes, but holy carp, that was stupid fun. Not at all the same as hitting it on the big bikes; a different kind of fun. Back to back from having ridden the big squish earlier in the day down at Dakota Ridge/Red Rocks.

I'm already shopping for parts... I can run a bit fatter tire in back, about up to 40mm wide. 29er disc fork and a wheel to go with? Avid BBDB road version? Something in the 45-50mm width up front tire-wise. Yep. Doing it.

(no dingle cog in this pic)
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Really I am that slow

Welcome to the Dark Side!

Hehehe another front range Dave thats fixed
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Awesome subject line. Had me rolling my eyes for a second.
    Sweet ride too - nice snowy evidence on the tires.

meh... whatever
    welcome to the enlightenment of fixed mtn riding!

a few of us around here ride fixed mtn (on 26" mtb, 29ers, and 'cross bikes), and one of the guys has a pomp as well. he runs a ti unicrown fork on his and loves it.

instead of investing in a 29er fork with avid road discs i would suggest spending the same $$$ and getting a carbon 'cross fork and sticking with your paul motos. the avid roads seem to be a hit or miss brake. some work well, and some dont work for crap. those moto's will pull you down just fine no matter what kinda muck you ride in (especially with kool stop salmons), and the carbon 'cross fork will be way smooth. and with a 'cross carbon fork you can run as fat of a tire as you want.

the winwood dusty cross fork is a scant 550g, is $275, and will take any frickin tire you want to stuff in there.

i have carbon forks on all my road fixies, my redline monocog flight mtn fixie, and am about to put one on my kona tiki fixie (hybrid 29er flat bar mtn/road fixie).

enjoy the zen!
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Poorly Disguised Poser

Question...

Can I get a close up of the lower portion of the head tube? Something looks odd there.

Nice looking bike!
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by unit
    Can I get a close up of the lower portion of the head tube? Something looks odd there.

Nice looking bike!
    looks like a spacer to extend the head tube length.

Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    looks like a spacer to extend the head tube length.
    yep. long story as to how it ended up that way, but in the end, i prefer having the slightly slacker angles with it.

sticking with getting an avid road disc (i've used the mtb version on several mtbs for a few years, before swapping to hydro...) and would rather have that.

$275 for rigid fork on this bike would be obscene. kona typeII 29er fork for me. i like the way those forks look, and handle. (at least from my experience on the 26" versions.)

i figure this is a cheap and easy way to try the larger wheel koolaid. if i dig it, i can then get a frame and build it up proper, already having a front end. and the old fork/canti setup will go back on the on-one. if i don't, no big deal, and not much money spent - then i can ebay the stuff.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    yep. long story as to how it ended up that way, but in the end, i prefer having the slightly slacker angles with it.

sticking with getting an avid road disc (i've used the mtb version on several mtbs for a few years, before swapping to hydro...) and would rather have that.
    the road and mtn version of the avid cable disc are virtually the same except that they're designed for different actuation ratio from the levers. ive never had a prob with the mtn discs and have used them for years also, but have had numerous problems, and know several people who also have had, with the road versions... even when i used them with known good pads and finally with mtn levers (which have twice as much leverage) to see if it was simply a leverage issue. i hope you have good luck with them, but i would get the mtn version and use the diacomp v-brake road lever. now THAT combo works awesome.

$275 for rigid fork on this bike would be obscene.

its only money... whattaya trying to do... die rich???

kona typeII 29er fork for me. i like the way those forks look, and handle. (at least from my experience on the 26" versions.)

excellent fork. its what is on my tiki now and it rides wonderfully. the carbon cross forks just ride much, much better IMHO.

[i]i figure this is a cheap and easy way to try the larger wheel koolaid. if i dig it, i can then get a frame and build it up proper, already having a front end. and the old fork/canti setup will go back on the on-one. if i don't, no big deal, and not much money spent - then i can ebay the stuff.
    oh i dig it... youre talking about riding fat tire 29er mountain! i thought you were simply outfitting the pomp to do dirt duty fixed.

in that case def go for the project2 29er fork, as a cross fork a/c would be too short for the 29er mtn frames out there.

good luck with your project! (and with the avid roads...)

I've run bb7 roadies, Shimano road levers, and Midges for the last six months and have nothing but praise. Once my setup got dialed I've had 1 finger braking in all conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by monogod

oh i dig it... youre talking about riding fat tire 29er mountain! i thought you were simply outfitting the pomp to do dirt duty fixed.

in that case def go for the project2 29er fork, as a cross fork a/c would be too short for the 29er mtn frames out there.

good luck with your project! (and with the avid roads...)
    exactly! i may just ride the bike with the beefed up front end and tires though, and not go the full on new bike 29er route. i'm actually doubtful i will do the full thing, but this way it give me more options if i decide to.

i like high front ends/slack angles, so the kona 29er fork should work out just right on the front of the il pompino. that paired with the 46cm wide bars makes for handling that feels sorta' similar to my other bikes. i'm a small, skinny guy, but still love me some wide handlebars.

on the brake thing, i plan to keep drop bars going, and i really like the feel of the cane creek aero levers. very, very comfy. thus the road version of the brake. if i have trouble, i can always swap to the dia-compe lever/mtb caliper version later.

JAK
    mtbr member

lover of scrubs...

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover

I'm already shopping for parts... I can run a bit fatter tire in back, about up to 40mm wide. 29er disc fork and a wheel to go with? Avid BBDB road version? Something in the 45-50mm width up front tire-wise. Yep. Doing it.
    FWIW, I've had have my Spot CX fixed and roda it last winter and summer and it has been like that teacher we all had that would slap the yard stick on your desk whenever they caught you sleeping!!

I thought about a disc gig up front, but I found with my experience that I prefer the canti's on a nice compliant fork to be the catsass. Since your legs do all the rear braking, I wanted my front brakes to be similar...for me, canti's were the choice. I also couldn't go faster than I could pedal, so I concluded that the disc was overkill. And finally, since I already have a 29er fat tire bike, I was looking for something 'more different'. I stick with skinnies...they'll have you stickin to pickin yer lines thoughtfully. I like how this bike keeps me honest in my line picking, pedal positioning and runnin' me legs at 1,000,000,000RPMS! I call it the CoYote...flat back and fast legs. I run the same 42X17-21 with sub elevens and dig.

Have Fun Freakin' out!
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK
    FWIW, I've had have my Spot CX fixed and roda it last winter and summer and it has been like that teacher we all had that would slap the yard stick on your desk whenever they caught you sleeping!!
    too late. alrady bought the disc, and am working on the fork/wheel. already have a 1-1/8" headset... (the front end as is is setup with 1" stuff, in reducer cups that'll have to come out)

i'm looking at running my current 38mm front tire in back, and a panaracer something or other 45mm up front. a little more cush, a little taller front end (like i prefer) and i can still throw my rack and fenders on for wet weather commute time.

i've got a big squishy and a burly hardtail that i very much enjoy the trails on, and don't plan to change them. that and a fixed road bike, and the crosser/commuter above have my stable fairly well set. this is just an experiment... if i like it, then a budget build rigid 29er will be in the works, likely a 1x9 skinnier tire counterpart to the really fat meats i run on the other bikes.

thanks all, for the advice/tips! i'll post up more as the parts arrive/things progress. headed out for a ride now on the big squish!

mtbr member
    where did you get that kickass saddle???

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    where did you get that kickass saddle???
    cover from a crap/cheap old wtb something or other + comfy performance bike house brand ti railed thing = pimpy sparkly green fashion whore saddle!

mtbr member

Head tube extension?

[QUOTE=unit]Can I get a close up of the lower portion of the head tube? Something looks odd there.

Ditto what he said. Please explain what you did there. Looks to me like you have some sort of head tube extension. Inquiring bike mechanics want to know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sweet ride scrublover, I'm going to act as if I saw none of this so I don't get any "ideas" myself!!...It DOES look fun though!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

Members who have read this thread: 0