mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Fixed Chain Tensioner

My mtb has vertical dropouts and I plan to use brake cable to secure a large cog to my spokes, making a fixed. I was wondering, does anybody know of a chain tensioner that would work in this instance,would hold up to reverse chain pressure, etc? Thanks.

mtbr member
    brake cable?
    large cog to spokes?
    chain tensioner?

are you stupid or are you just a troll?

Drinkin' Buddy

NO tensioner will work with a fixie

Also, you would rip out the spokes with what you describe. Best spring for an ENO wheel to try fixie with a vert. dropout frame.
    Got Beer?

mtbr member
    cityslicker,
    thanks for private message. your immature name calling will really get you somewhere in life. I think you really are best off using the brake cable through a large cog method, as it will surely take you out of the gene-pool quickly so you cannot breed and make more incompetent morons like yourself.
    FF

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thats brilliant,i need a good laugh!

mtbr member
    Pretty funny.

Just make sure you use normal round spokes not CX-rays or other bladed spokes as they may tend to cut through the brake cable that's used to secure the cog to the spokes.

I'd also suggest a 3/32 cog since a 1/8 cog, being thicker, will possibly have too little clearance and may cause the chain to rub on the spokes.

For a chain tensioner, simply use an old derailleur.

Other than that, sounds like a really well-though-out plan!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'd probably back up that cable with a zip tie or two, you know, to be safe and all.

For a tensioner, I'd try a 'ghost ring' (do a search) which should work fine for both fwd and rvs pedal action.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by cityslicker26
    My mtb has vertical dropouts and I plan to use brake cable to secure a large cog to my spokes, making a fixed. I was wondering, does anybody know of a chain tensioner that would work in this instance,would hold up to reverse chain pressure, etc? Thanks.
    You will hurt yourself and the bike. Remember, skin and broken bones grow back. The bike will cost you more to repair than to just build a new fixed rear wheel, and then find the magic ratio with this calculator http://www.eehouse.org/fixin/

I have two fixed gear bikes, and your idea terrifies me!
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    You'll want to perform a quick stop on a slight downhill to insure that you're using enough brake cable. Looking forward to seeing the results on YouTube.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

trail rat
    Not enough blood and broken bone bike crashes for you now?

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Trollicious!

MLH
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Fixies do not work with tensioners for various reasons: 1) fixies need to be properly aligned; 2) If the wheel is going faster than you are pedaling, you will throw the chain and most likely have something horrible happen; 3) You will not have the direct connection with the rear wheel, so it will be more like a SS that will surely put you in the hospital a la point 2 As far as securing a cog to the spokes: maybe not the best idea. If you do try it your way: good luck and please post pictures of the bike or your injuries.
    Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Optimism Fading

Okay, okay, the large volume of negative responses is a little dismaying. But, I still don't see why the tensioner won't work(ignoring the fixing the cog to the spokes thing)-I mean say I buy a DMR STS tensioner, adjust it to the perfect angle, and take links out of my chain so that the chain is perfectly snug-would the tensioner not hold up to the reverse pressure? Thanks.

trail rat
    would the tensioner not hold up to the reverse pressure?
    It only takes once riding a fixie with a slack chain to scare the bejesus out of you. You want NO CHAIN SLACK when back pedalling. A tensioner is designed to take up slack. Guaranteed blood; the "cityslicker" will be your blood on the pavement.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html
    You Can NOT use any sort of pulley type chain tensioner on a fixed gear bike!

You cannot use a derailer on a fixed gear bike, even as a chain tensioner, because when you resist the rotation of the pedals, you would bend the derailer. This presents a problem if you want to use a frame with vertical dropouts as a fixed gear, because there's no easy way to adjust the chain tension. This is also true of chain tensioners sold for singlespeed coasting bikes, such as the Surly Singleator.

Even the chain tensioners used for downhill mountain bike racing are not strong enough to withstand the stress of resisting the pedals. These tensioners have to clamp on to the chain stay, which is more or less round. There is no way to make one that would be secure, short of installing some sort of brazed-on fitting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Defeat.

Okay, okay, I'm sold, I give up, etc. So, does anybody know how to convert a vert dropout into horizontal? Thanks for all your help and for saving me money in parts and medical bills.

trail rat
    Okay, okay, I'm sold, I give up, etc. So, does anybody know how to convert a vert dropout into horizontal? Thanks for all your help and for saving me money in parts and medical bills.
    Try this calculator to see if there is a magic ratio that works with the vertical dropouts you have, and use a rotofixed cog, or suicide cog on your current wheel

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Magic!

Well, according to FixMeUp, with my 16.813" chainstay I can run a 32 x 13 and a 42 x 23 with my current set of chainrings, neither of which I would consider 'desirable' but both of which are a start, at least if I really want to do a fixie. I might just try a singlespeed with a couple different cogs and my derailleur for now and go fixed later. It's to be determined although fixed has such appeal. Do you think brake cable would work? A friend I have(bigfish) rode his like that at least 1.5 mi daily and his held up for two years, before he finally bought a fixed hub with a new wheelset. Thanks for all your help and I'd like to hear about others' experiences with FixMeUp if there are any out there.

ballbuster

see you on the other side!

I'm going to vote for Troll. C'mon, 4 posts and he lays this on us?

MLH
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Magic gear or chop off your dropouts and weld horizontals on or the eno eccentric hub.
    Mike

Custom User Title
    i had a mate once who build their whole bike up out of brake cables and it was brilliant and everything and stuff

Retro Grouch
    Well, according to FixMeUp, with my 16.813" chainstay I can run a 32 x 13 and a 42 x 23 with my current set of chainrings, neither of which I would consider 'desirable' but both of which are a start, at least if I really want to do a fixie. I might just try a singlespeed with a couple different cogs and my derailleur for now and go fixed later. It's to be determined although fixed has such appeal. Do you think brake cable would work? A friend I have(bigfish) rode his like that at least 1.5 mi daily and his held up for two years, before he finally bought a fixed hub with a new wheelset. Thanks for all your help and I'd like to hear about others' experiences with FixMeUp if there are any out there.
    The Surly fixxer. These are not cheap (about$60) and require some mechanical expertise (more than wiring a cog to your spokes) but it will make a fixie hub out of your freehub.

http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/fixxer_pop.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    still can't tension it though..

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I can't stop laughing.... !
    Bike Building and Painting

Crystavox Single Speed Bikes

- factotum -
    Drill holes in steel cog (Shimano DX) to fit a disc hub.
    Screw cog to the disc side of your hub. As you're going fixie you won't need a rear brake anyways. If you don't have a disc hub - nevermind.

Members who have read this thread: 0