First time out on a singlespeed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

First time out on a singlespeed

Finally completed my rigid singlespeed over the weekend, and rode to work and back on Sunday to test it out (I plan to use it to commute, so I wanted to test route / bike).

I enjoyed the ride, and the one steep climb was a challenge on 32:16, but very much within my capabilities. I can see myself enjoying this singlespeeding thing. All I need now is a proper tensioner instead of the rear mech I have right now, and to find some more anodised trick bits .

My only doubt is over tyre choice - I ride down the canal for about 14 miles (plus 2 road miles), which is mostly smooth flat hardpack, so I went with my 1.25" slicks with 70psi in them. However, there are a couple of rocky bits and my wrists are not thanking me for that! Any suggestions on a tyre / pressure combi thats going to be fast on road / hardpack and have a bit more give in them? Punctures are to be avoided at all costs .

Who are the brain police?
    Schwalbe Super Motos have been working for me. They're big 2.35 but roll fast and comfortable. But they're expensive.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Schwalbe Super Moto does indeed seem expensive - a pair of them would cost the same as my bike cost me!

Think I might be looking for a cheaper option!

mtbr member
    Have a look at Geax Evolution's. They roll fast, have decent tread for the rocky sections (so long as it is not too loose), are pretty bulletproof and are cheap. Only problem is that they are heavy.

I have been using them on my commuter for ~12 months and love them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Will take a look at those Geax Evolution, but not found any for sale in the UK (yet).

The rocks aint big at all, so I guess that moving up to 1.95 or bigger (semi) slicks etc might be enough. Its just my wrists are a bit dodgy today after the ride - the bikes great on the smoother stuff though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    maybe a bigger front tire for cushioning the wrists and a small back tire for speed and rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

town-and-country

you might try the Conti. Town-and-Country tire. Rolls real well, nice deep tread helps gauard against flats, and the inverted tread design works well on rocks.

sushi lover
    May 2006
    Specialized Roll X Armadillo

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=15182

high volume 2.0 with Armadillo puncture resistance... the knobs are shaped to reduce rolling resistance, excellent in dry hardpack and loose conditions (crap in mud)

mtbr member
    Maybe just ride "lighter" over the rough parts, i.e. get up out of the saddle and keep your joints relatively loose so you can better absorb the bumps without getting jarred around.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    Schwalbe Super Motos have been working for me. They're big 2.35 but roll fast and comfortable. But they're expensive.
    You could also go with Schwalbe Big Apple tires, same tread pattern as the Super-Moto and available in 2.0 as well as 2.35. They are heavier and a bit more rolling-resistant than the Supermoto, but significantly cheaper.

Members who have read this thread: 0