First time in 15 years- Mtbr.com
    Apr 2007

First time in 15 years

Went for a ride today on my new Jabber. Was a good ride and was going down the last downhill part. 20 ft in front of me, I see a huge squirrel dart across the path. Thought nothing of it, but it runs out in front of me again. But this time, instead of running across, he stops half way, does a 180, then tries to head back. No time to react--THUMP THUMP. Ran right over the little guy. I turned around to see if he was alive and couldn't find him. In 15 years of mountain biking, I've never hit anything. Or even come close. Thought it was pretty funny. Maybe it was a dare and he lost. I just hope he's not friends with that Monty Python rabbit.

At least I was on a 29er. 26" would've been instant death.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    so instead of instant death, now it's just a slow, agonizing death? i wouldn't exactly call it funny, but at the same time you can't empathize too much for a squirrel. you're right, it almost seems like they do it as part of a dare.

my friends and i joke that squirrels do it for the adrenaline rush. they sit on the curb and at the last second they dart in front of your truck and zigzag a few times, before barely clearing your tires. i can just imagine them hanging out in the oak trees afterward.

"man, my feet are shaking so bad!"
    "i know dude! that was TOO close!"
    "ya, you are nuts. your wife be so pissed! it's mating season!"

openwound
    I almost hit one recently. The little bugger jumped out onto the trail right next to my right foot. He got going in the same direction as me. He ran along for maybe ten (but it felt like twenty...) feet then, thankfully, dove off into the weeds. I would not want to hit an animal. That would suck.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Went for a ride today on my new Jabber. Was a good ride and was going down the last downhill part. 20 ft in front of me, I see a huge squirrel dart across the path. Thought nothing of it, but it runs out in front of me again. But this time, instead of running across, he stops half way, does a 180, then tries to head back. No time to react--THUMP THUMP. Ran right over the little guy. I turned around to see if he was alive and couldn't find him. In 15 years of mountain biking, I've never hit anything. Or even come close. Thought it was pretty funny. Maybe it was a dare and he lost. I just hope he's not friends with that Monty Python rabbit.

At least I was on a 29er. 26" would've been instant death.
    if you were on a 26er you would either be going so fast that you would have avoided the whole situation, or you would have been able to maneuver around it due to the nimbleness of the bike.

Harmonius Wrench
    About a week ago I was cruising some single track on a Soul Cycles Dillinger, (single speed, of course), when I went into a sweeping left hander. I am committed to the corner when I see a squirrel coming around the bend, full bore running right at me. I was so surprised, I didn't do anything but keep pedaling. The little rodent jumped off the trail inches before impact. I actually laughed out loud, it was so awesome.

Suicide Squirrel!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Bike Geek
    Squirrel killer!!! Just kidding! I almost ran over a meter long monitor lizard once...looked like a small gator from afar. Good thing it ran away, probably got scared when it saw & heard me screeching to a halt.

Apr 2007
    Ok, just to clarify, I don't go running around looking for lil' critters to run over and kill. I guess it was just time for this squirrel to chase nuts in heaven. My apologies to any activists in here.

Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    if you were on a 26er you would either be going so fast that you would have avoided the whole situation, or you would have been able to maneuver around it due to the nimbleness of the bike.
    Touché

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Ok, just to clarify, I don't go running around looking for lil' critters to run over and kill. I guess it was just time for this squirrel to chase nuts in heaven. My apologies to any activists in here.

Touché
    So you unintentionally smacked a squirrel while riding. The squirrel was at fault -- failure to yield trail. Personally I'm not going to feel the slightest tinge of guilt laughing at this situation. Wouldn't change the squirrel's fate anyway and besides, it's not like you came after him with a claw hammer or something.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Apr 2007
    At least a few of you see the humor.

Seems like a hot topic at Passion

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=630271

local trails rider
    I was thinking of that Passion thread the other day when taking a "shortcut" during my commute... and almost hit a fieldfare on the trail (just found out they are called that in English). The silly chicks sit on the trail and, in their panic, forget how to fly.

I try not to run over animals, but I think I hit one of those birds last year, and ran over a viper some years back. Fortunately, every moose that I've seen has decided to run away from me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I almost bought a small rabbit yesterday. But rabbits are smarter than squirrels, and he realized he was in for it if he didn't dart back the way he came. Scared the hell out of me though. I have enough trouble in fast downhill off-camber corners!

smell the saddle...
    Maybe he was messing with you because he knew your mtbr name is "p-nut"

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    Maybe he was messing with you because he knew your mtbr name is "p-nut"
    Well, let it be known this is what happens if you mess with me.

Members who have read this thread: 0