Thread: first ss ride

first ss ride

I know few of you know me at all but I have been on mtbr since, 1999 and maybe 1998. I just got my ss built up. Bthor got me sold on getting it completed when he got his Strong bling bike and asked (challenged) me when i was going to get really riding again.

My ss is a modified jumper, an Azonic Steelhead with a really long seatpost. I built it mostly from spare parts and a few choice additions. Gt chromoly 180 cranks, bmx chainring, dirtjumper 3 fork, 410mm thomson seatpost, loveseat saddle, rhyno lites, world force risers, platforms. She's not the best looking thing but she rides well and I am not worried about commuting with her b/c she's a ton cheaper than my Strong. It's a really comfortable bike with the loveseat and risers. Platforms make riding, especially just to the store, coffee shop, the train, work, chipotle or whatever really simple.

Last night was my first SS ride on the cobbed together Azonic. I took off to a little offroad location about a mile from my house called windmill hill. I did a double loop and rode to the next town and back in a couple of hours. I wasn't that much slower than with my other bike, I am slow either way though. I was seriously winded a ton more and I couldn't climb some technical stuff without a smaller gear. Jumping was really cool with it.

I think I get the ss thing. Simplicity.

SS observations:
    1. Not for those of us with large arses. Riding more might help that.
    2. Quiet
    3. Simple
    4. This bike just feels durable
    5. Jumping was fun, not really worried about killing the bike, just worried about me.
    6. Felt weird on the road spinning like crazy with long cranks and platforms.
    7. Momentum is everything.

I liked it.

locked - time out
    I recently built up a SS Steelhead as well. I was riding it mostly in the skatepark, but recently started hitting the trails on it instead of my AC1 - I've been having so much fun that I am actually starting to compile a list of upgrades (I ordered an Endless 18 tooth cog this morning and am starting to consider a new wheelset). I am really enjoying the simplicity of the bike compared to the AC, which needs something replaced everytime I so much as think about sitting on it. There is also something very gratifying about riding the same terrain on the SS as I did on the AC, I just about killed myself several times before becoming re-accustomed to the unforgiving nature of a hardtail with a 100 mm fork though.

I'm also enjoying how many climbs have gone from boring grinds to kneecap shooting, lung puking "challenges"

The man who fell to earth
    Welcome aboard ganze, glad to see you gave it a try. Chances are you'll never look back if you give it half a chance. Just take your time, ease into it and let the SS specialized muscle groups acclimate - don't let yourself get discouraged before giving it a fair try. And if you feel persistent pain of any type or another (knees,neck, wrists etc), then check bike fit and tweak as necessary. But once you're dialed in and you get conditioned, you'll never look back. And the old wive's tale that SS-ing is bad for your knees is just that, an old wive's tale. It's made my weak knees stronger (just make sure seat height is proper).

Oh yeah, what is that avatar? I'm guessing a big block chevy with dual quad tunnel ram, but I can't really tell.

banned
    Apr 2004

Single Speeding hurts so good

Quote Originally Posted by Ganze
    I know few of you know me at all but I have been on mtbr since, 1999 and maybe 1998. I just got my ss built up. Bthor got me sold on getting it completed when he got his Strong bling bike and asked (challenged) me when i was going to get really riding again.

My ss is a modified jumper, an Azonic Steelhead with a really long seatpost. I built it mostly from spare parts and a few choice additions. Gt chromoly 180 cranks, bmx chainring, dirtjumper 3 fork, 410mm thomson seatpost, loveseat saddle, rhyno lites, world force risers, platforms. She's not the best looking thing but she rides well and I am not worried about commuting with her b/c she's a ton cheaper than my Strong. It's a really comfortable bike with the loveseat and risers. Platforms make riding, especially just to the store, coffee shop, the train, work, chipotle or whatever really simple.

Last night was my first SS ride on the cobbed together Azonic. I took off to a little offroad location about a mile from my house called windmill hill. I did a double loop and rode to the next town and back in a couple of hours. I wasn't that much slower than with my other bike, I am slow either way though. I was seriously winded a ton more and I couldn't climb some technical stuff without a smaller gear. Jumping was really cool with it.

I think I get the ss thing. Simplicity.

SS observations:
    1. Not for those of us with large arses. Riding more might help that.
    2. Quiet
    3. Simple
    4. This bike just feels durable
    5. Jumping was fun, not really worried about killing the bike, just worried about me.
    6. Felt weird on the road spinning like crazy with long cranks and platforms.
    7. Momentum is everything.

I liked it.
    I like how it makes me ride to failure and how it makes me a faster mountain biker without training, just riding and hammering.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have just buit one my self using used parts off my old FS bike. I hope to ride it this
    week if it doesnot rain me out. I think this bike will get me in shape faster than my fs
    will

427 ford/shelby

Oh yeah, what is that avatar? I'm guessing a big block chevy with dual quad tunnel ram, but I can't really tell.[/QUOTE]

It is a new shelby aluminum 427 built to take the place of the old iron ford 427 FE since good 427 blocks are so hard and expensive to come by. This one has with 8 stack efi. I believe it is the Saleen S7 motor specifically. I am a total car and truck dork sorry.

I rode my geared bike last night and still loved it too. Although creaks and shifting probs kind of threw a wet blanket on the ride. Luckily I use thumbies and I just went to friction mode. Gotta spend some maintenance time, I may even try an old suntour 8 speed thumbshifter to see how it feels... but that belongs in another forum.

I believe it about ss helping some knee probs. Without clipless I have way more angles to work for my ankles and knees. I was more sore last night than the night before after my long ss ride.

ganze