mtbr member
    Apr 2004

First SS question

Anyone ever heard of Salsa SS, Juan XT. I can get this for 1800 to 2000 dollars

My local bike shop can get me this bike. Looks good on paper. I am not the kind of guy to build my own bike but would like to have a decent first bike.

The manufacturer has a suggested list of standard component that looks okay to me.

Please advise

Dan

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan001

My local bike shop can get me this bike. Looks good on paper. I am not the kind of guy to build my own bike but would like to have a decent first bike.

The manufacturer has a suggested list of standard component that looks okay to me.

Please advise

Dan
    I was checking out one down at WebCyclery and it is very nice. It felt weightless too. I'd say it is more than decent. I think the one I was looking at was more like $1600, but I can't recall for sure. Might want to give WebCyclery a call and see if they still have it.

King Pin

... and if we just ... Mmmmmm...Scandium!

Salsa's Scandium SS frames are sweet! I haven't owned one, but I've ridden a friend's....

Those Salsa frames are really really nice, and even lighter than my King Pin. I like 'em. If I had the dough, or was willing to part with one or two of my other SS frames, I'd buy one in a nanosecond!

If you can afford it, I'd certainly recommend. Not that that means anything.....but I have titanium and aluminium and 4130 steel and good Columbus steel frames, and would imagine Scandium is just as strong and supple as any of 'em, with a good weight savings!

Steamroller

Custom price range

Please advise

Dan
    How big are you? What is your previous riding experience? Will you want a suspension front fork? Do you plan to race? Do you want a bike that is as light as possible, or one one that is built to last a while and can take some abuse?

I think the Salsa is probably a real nice bike, but I'd guess that price is a bit high. You may want consider a custom frame, there are some fine builders who could do you up a custom SS bike, with a frame built for you, in that price range.

If you are looking to jump right past the typical $400-900 ready made SS bike that many people get as first SS bikes, you have a lot of nice options. You may want to check out a 29"wheeled SS bike. You could do a custom 29r or could get a Karate Monkey or a Fisher Rig well below the price of the Salsa.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Mangina?

Please advise

Dan
    bah.. got a spot brand!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    How big are you?
    190 pounds
    What is your previous riding experience?
    I can ride about anything xt wise . I ride fix f=gear Road bike only
    Will you want a suspension front fork?

yes
    Do you plan to race?

No but I am a course setter for my own race

Do you want a bike that is as light as possible, or one one that is built to last a while and can take some abuse?

I usually destroy everything that I own, so it has to be sturdy bike

I think the Salsa is probably a real nice bike, but I'd guess that price is a bit high.
    That was also my feeling

You may want consider a custom frame, there are some fine builders who could do you up a custom SS bike, with a frame built for you, in that price range.

My problem is to find someone capable to build me one. Can you recommend one.

If you are looking to jump right past the typical $400-900 ready made SS bike that many people get as first SS bikes, you have a lot of nice options. You may want to check out a 29"wheeled SS bike.

Is it not hard to d find 29" tire, tube etc..I want to make sure that they are readily available if I go that route.

You could do a custom 29r or could get a Karate Monkey or a Fisher Rig well below the price of the Salsa.
    Thanks for your reply

Dan