First SS MTB Build (Pics)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First SS MTB Build (Pics)

Hi guys,

I've been riding my MTB around in the same gear for months so I've decided to convert it to SS over the winter. I'm budget limited but luckily my frame has track ends, since I don't want a tensioner. Also, since my current bike is such a sh*tbox, I have to replace almost everything but the frame in one go.

Here's the bike:

My plan is to use Halo Combat wheels front & rear, which means using the 10T driver which is pre-fitted to the rear hub. To keep the same ratio as I currently use, I'll need a 22T chain ring up front, so it seems that will dictate BMX-style cranks. I've gone for Octane One 3-pcs cranks with a DMR spin chain ring.

My question is, since the driver wheel is pre-fitted to the hub, and the cranks will dictate a fixed chain ring position, what options do I have for altering the chain line?

Also, I guess, any other comments or suggestions?

Cheers!
    Last edited by AndyTomlin; 12-09-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Added pic & links

mtbr member

Gear ratio recommendations.

I'm a SS newbie with my first build as well this winter but you may want to check out the following link talking about small chainrings here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/a...gs-755094.html

I think they are advocating that going with a 11T cog on the back and a 22T on the front is bad practice for single speed. You would get the same ratio of 3.8 with a 16T cog and 32T chainring with more engaged teeth eliminating chain skip/slip and less wear to components.
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

I have a v-brake only SS wheelset I could sell you. Willing to work on price. PM me for details.
    Edit: And pretty much anything else you would need sans frame and pedals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    I had wondered about chain wear with a 10T, but assumed that if someone made it, it couldn't be inherently bad, right?

I guess I'll swap to a regular 8/9 speed rear hub and fit a single speed conversion kit. Any recommendations as there's a million different kinds out there? Is it OK to use the 8/9 speed 3/32" chain kits or should I try to look for one which is compatible with a single speed 1/8" chain?

Thanks for the offer, monzie, but I'd like to buy new.

mtbr member
    are you sure you want to go that small and with a fixed ratio?? you may want options in the future and also the bigger your cog/chainring the smoother and less ware there will be on your components.

The need for singlespeed
    That's an interesting downtube.

mtbr member
    What a beautiful bike, I really like the black and white color scheme! If I were you I would keep the wheels you have and remove the cassette and get a singlespeed kit for it, then take the large and small ring on the front off leaving just the middle ring. Good luck with the build!
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by unknown-rider View Post
    If I were you I would keep the wheels you have and remove the cassette and get a singlespeed kit for it, then take the large and small ring on the front off leaving just the middle ring.
    thats exactly what i did when i did my single speed build: it gives you tons of drive line adjustability. i would recommend also to get the cassette tool so you can play with it and get it dead on, it took me 3 trys to get it exactly where i wanted it.

Edit: I love the origin 8 single speed kit, its cheap, has alot of spacers to play with and the tentioner is great, it has never failed me even when im riding on stuff i probably shouldent with this baby:https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hOctpivTf...0/DSCN9938.JPG

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Gonna be a nice SS when your done. Thanks for posting the progress.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comments guys!

I think I've settled on an Octane One Orbital hub, which comes with a 14T freewheel. I'll have the Octane One D1 (ISIS) crankset up front.

I know that my frame accepts a 68mm BB, but I have no idea what spindle width I need to get the correct chainline. I'd like to order everything at once so it would be cool if I could calculate this from my chosen hub and cranks! Any ideas SS gurus?!

mtbr member
    Think I've googled my way through the BB issue. Will start off with a 113mm wide which should be fine, but can always swap it out once I know where I am.

Stripped the bike back to frame & forks today. Parts should start arriving on the 25th through January so hoping for it to be completed in February.

mtbr member
    Almost finished!

Spec:
    Marzocchi 44 RLO RC 140mm forks
    Halo Combat Front Wheel
    FireEye Excelerant Rear Hub
    WTB Graffiti 2.2 Tyres
    Funn Descender Cranks
    E.Thirteen Chainring
    Clarks S2 Disc Brakes

Missing a post mount for the front brake and a lovely green seat post, but otherwise pretty much there. Gearing is 34:16.

Here's some fuzzy camera phone pics so far:

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Have you considered a longer stem instead of sliding your seat that far back?

Ovaries on the Outside
    Love sees no color. But if you're thinking of my baby...

mtbr member
    Ah, the seat is just chucked on at the moment. I've not even ridden it yet!

Will probably play with the spacers around the stem also. Want to get the fit right before I start cutting steerer tube =)

mtbr member
    I'm liking that a lot! If I were you I'd drop that fork a little though, it looks a little too long for that frame. I'd drop it to 100mm then it wouldn't be raked out as much... Either way it's looking really good!
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat