First SS, Looking for suggestions...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

First SS, Looking for suggestions...

I am going to build up my first singlespeed from my "old" race bike that has been sitting in my cellar.. I have a 1994 Barracuda A2T to work with.. It is one of the "orginal" Cudas when they were still hand made and all of that jazz..

Any suggestions on setup, parts, etc.. is greatly appreciated.. I am thinking i am going to stick with front suspension, but will upgrade the front fork, and above and beyond that I have no clue what I am doing.. Crank suggestions?? Setup suggestions?? All are welcome.. Looking to keep it affordable, but not too cheesey.. Not afraid to spend a few bucks to make it worth my while, but don't want to break the bank..

Thanks in advance, and here is a pic of what I am starting out with..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mattylmbr; 03-06-2007 at 06:11 PM.

mtbr member
    This is the best piece of advice I can give to a new SSer. I wish I could take credit for it but.....
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    Commit to it, it will suck at first. Once you are over the suck, it's the poop.

mtbr member
    get a SS conversion kit from jenson or pricepoint. replace that with your cassette. you will probably need a tensioner so pick up a singulator at the LBS. take off your chainrings except for the middle, switch out your bolts with shorter ones. go ride. see how you like it, and if you do, get a new crankset and eventually SS specific frame/complete
    Singlespeed since September 24, 2006.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    Is your rear wheel cassette or freewheel? if it's cassette, you can get a singlespeed cog for like five bucks and then either use pvc pipe spacers -cheap- or get a fancy spacer kit -less cheap. If it's a freewheel type wheel, I think you can screw a BMX type freewheel on it, but you may have to fool around with the chainline.

The cranks you have on should work just fine. Provided your BB is on working order, all I'd do is buy a singlespeed ring -you don't have to but you will drop the chain less if you do- and some short bolts -track or BMX bolts, your shop will probably have them. Get steel ones for less money!

Then you can screw around trying to find a "magic gear ratio" or buy a tensioner. I've never used a tensioner meself, luckily the frames I've used had either track ends or horizontal drops, but people swear by the Rennen tensioners. Oh, if you are willing to spend some money you could get an ENO hub and build a new wheel and you won't need a tensioner.

The FAQ on the top has a lot of other info you may find useful as well. Cool bike, by the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here's a cheap tensioner.

An old derailleur works well as a tensioner. Stick a piece of brake cable with the lever end attached through the barrel adjuster to the clamp. Clamp the cable leaving the part of the cable that would be secured in the lever on the outside of the barrel adjuster. Now once you've got some system of spacers and a cog on the freewheel, you can just turn the barrel adjuster to fine tune the chain line. Run the chain so that the cage of the derailleur is running at almost the limit of its throw. This is basically what the Rennens, Surly singleators, etc. do.

As for spacers, I say spring for the Gusset conversion kit for something like $20. You get two big Al spacers and two cogs, a 16 and an 18.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    SS chain
    Pyramid tensioner works fine
    If you have a cassette rear hub get some spacers
    Get a rear 16 tooth cog
    Take off the large and small chain ring
    Get some ss-chain ring bolts (or some spacers)
    Get some brake levers (ebikestop.com has avid's for 9.99)

Now the fun part:
    Remove your derailers and derailer cables.

Never ride a geared bike again....
    For more tips and things to ponder go to my website www.single-mission.com

Tony
    Bike Building and Painting

Crystavox Single Speed Bikes

Is dang happy!
    With that frame I would go with a rigid fork and big 2.0+ front tire.
    Wide bars with lots of rise/ 50mm or more.
    DIY tensioner (MRP roller) + BMX cog and chainring with no ramps.

If you have the $$$ get a ENO rear hub and you will not need a tensioner.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

singletrack bound
    If you have a Shimano rear hub "LX XT XTR", the Gusset single speed conversion works real well. Gives you a couple of spacers and a 16t & 18T cogs. The freehub body held up real well on mine (one year of heavy use) until I built up a new set of Paul hubs and went SS specific. Also, the conversion kit will allow you to try the two choices of cogs and what you may like the best for the type of terrain you ride. I rode the 16x32 for six months and switched to a 32x18 and have found I like that ratio the best so that's what I went with when I built the new wheelset. Good Luck and enjoy.....I just got back from a ride......Tone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the help folks!! Guess I'm on my way, and I'll keep you in the loop with how it is coming!!

mtbr member
    I just converted my Barracuda A2R.

I got some spacers from the LBS for free for the rear and bought an 18T cog for the back and a DMR STS chain tensioner ($30.00 total from universal cycles). Just used the middle ring from my crankset for now but will get a new chainring soon enough. need to get new brake levers too as I just took off the shifters from the combo set. feels so much smoother than a geared buke to me plus tearing apart the bike was half the fun. rGood luck and keep the updates coming.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ordered today:

Surly Singleator
    Gusset SS conversion kit
    SRAM ss chain
    Avid Brake levers

Now I have some progress to make..

Members who have read this thread: 0