First SS bike/build, putting together build list...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First SS bike/build, putting together build list...NOW WITH PICS!!!

After finally deciding to go for it, I've decided to start planning and ordering parts for my first SS bike/build. I was hoping I'd have my frame sold so I could get everything, but it hasn't happened, so I have to do a slow build. Guess better slow than not at all.

So anyways, I am trying to do a build that is superclyde worthy, but still try to keep the weight down too.

Here's the break down so far, please feel free to offer suggestions if you see anything that might not work so well or you know of substitutions that would work better, especially if it's less money since I'm doing this on a tight budget.

Here's the list:

Frame - Misfit Psycles diSSent - HAVE
    Wheels - SunRingle MTX33 laced to Hope Pro 2's - HAVE
    Fork - Manitou Drake SuperAir - HAVE
    Headset - Cane Creek 110 - HAVE
    Brakes - BB7 Ordered
    Levers - Avid Speed Dial 7 Ordered
    Crank - SRAM X.7 - HAVE
    Chainring -
    Cog(s) -
    Chain -
    Seat - Specialized Avatar - HAVE
    Seat post - Thomson - Ordered
    Seat post clamp - Hope Quick Release Ordered
    Stem -
    Handlebar - Crank Brothers Cobalt 1 XC Bar 700mm Ordered
    Grips - Ergon GP1 Ordered

So that's the build list so far. I am a super clyde so I need parts that can stand up to the abuse, but I'd still like to keep things at or below 25 pounds. Not sure how much my RockHopper weighs, I'd guess 30ish so really anything less would be great.
    Last edited by Nubster; 06-14-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Congrats and good luck on your build. This Spring I built a diSSent and it has become my favorite ride. I put on a carbon fork and it weighs just over 20 lbs. I'm 230 and it's taken the abuse. I put on Race Face Evolve stem, bar and seatpost and am happy with them. They're new but last years model which keeps things a little less $$. Really like the seatpost as it is easily adjustable. Started with an Easton and just couldn't get it right.
    Post photos when you can.

mtbr member
    Pics for sure. I'll look into the Race Face stuff. I have one of their double cranks that I am putting on my RockHopper some day, it's a nicely made piece. I just threw the Easton bar on the list because that's the first one that I found that was somewhat what I was looking for though the more I think about it, the more I think I want something that sweeps back.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    I think after looking at the options, the crank and chainring will be the hardest to figure out. Right now, I am trying to score a SRAM X.9 crankset, if that works out, I'll probably go with an MRP Bling Ring once the new batch is out(mid-June according to them). I know that the HBC stuff is a hot topic right now, I'd probably order from him but I don't want to wait. I may order in the future once the bike is built and wait the wait, but for now, I need options that will get me parts in a reasonable time.

Just curious, what's a decent price on the X.9 crank, used but in good condition?
    Last edited by Nubster; 05-29-2012 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What I noticed when I switched over to SS is that it puts alot more stress on your cranks. The cheaper SS cranks would last me about 6 months before they were dead. When I was geared never went through a crank. Bought E.13 SS cranks this time and have been very happy with them. I am not sure what constutes for a super clyde but I am around 200 pounds. If you are more than that then I would make sure you have a decent crank to start with.

The rest it seems like you already have. Cogs I got HBC (home brew components) but they are on the expensive side and just about anything will work. For the rear cog the wider the base on it the better, the skinny ones can mess up alum freehubs.

mtbr member
    I'm 300 pounds with a lot of power from doing a lot of powerlifting. So yeah, cranks do need to be stout. I've stripped the pedal off a cheap crank before, but the stock cranks on my RockHopper have held up fine for 3 years.

I've looked at the E.13 stuff and they look really nice. I am trying to get a SRAM X7 set but if they don't work out, I'll certainly give the E.13 another hard look.

Cogs, not sure on those. I don't have time to wait on HBC so I need to find another source. I am going with MRP for the chainring. My free body is steel, I need spacers since it's for a geared bike until I can afford to have a SS rear wheel built just for this bike. Until then, I'll be sharing wheels between my two bikes. Not optimal, but it'll work.

mtbr member
    Well, I ended up getting the SRAM X7's, so I am set on cranks. Now just waiting until mid-June for MRP to put out the new batch of chainrings. Tempted to grab on of the defect ones, just not sure how being out of round will affect it on a SS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Defect ones? Out of round? Won't effect it at all. Should be just fine.

I run biopace on one my ss. Works great. Can't get anymore out of round than biopace.

mtbr member
    I just checked, all they have left are 30T and 28T rings.

mtbr member
    So cranks are on the way, need a bottom bracket, probably just go with the SRAM GXP for now, big thing I need to figure out is gearing. Suggestions? The areas I ride are mostly pretty short steep climbs. I'm big and powerful and a masher for sure and in average shape, certainly not great shape but I didn't just get off the couch for the first time in 5 years either. I was thinking 32T up front since that's what I ride 99% of the time now on my RockHopper, no idea about the rear.

mtbr member
    I have a 32 up front and a 20 on the rear. The place I mostly ride also doesn't have too long of climbs but some can be steep. I can clear all but the steepest of the hills with the gearing as is. I do end up spinning quite a bit on the flats though. If I get to the point where the hills feels too easy, I'll drop the rear to an 18.

mtbr member
    I have a brand new Niner 20 tooth cog for sale in the classifieds if you are interested ...

Singlespeed Cogs and a Crankset - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Shipped price is $27 (would cost at least $40 shipped if bought new).

32 x 20 is a good starting point...

PM if interested...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Get Surly cogs. They're available in just about any size that you could ever want, they're cheap and they're nearly indestructable. A big, powerful dude like you doesnt need to save a few grams with an aluminum cog.

I'm not a big guy but I put some power down... I've destroyed a few different brand aluminum cogs and even some cheaply made steel cogs. If you've got short steeps, then you'll appreciate a stronger cog - in that you won't eat your stem when it breaks.

The spiderless chainring... I dont have any personal experience with these, but just be aware that they can be flexy. A buddy of mine had a white industries eno and it was flexy enough that he was dropping his chain. He replaced it with a stout 4 arm crank and its' been fine since. Not saying that you'll have issues, but something to keep in mind if you do happen to have some probs with droppage.

Stem, just get whatever fits you and falls within your budget... for the most part, a stem is a stem. The seatpost - as a big guy, get something burly. I'd go with thomson. Also, unless you really need the QR seat clamp, I'd go with a regular old binder bolt. save a couple bucks, a couple grams, and the headache of a slipping post.

Chain... get a singlespeed chain. KMC or SRAM. SRAM PC1 is available just about everywhere for around $10. Its hard to beat that.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. I looked at the Surly cogs. They look nice. Still not 100% sure which direction I will go. I was thinking the Surly or perhaps I'll spring for a King Kog.

So on the chainring front...I am wondering what my options are for my crank. I guess it has a 120bcd so it doesn't look like there are going to be any 32T options. I am guessing the only way to get a ring that small without going spiderless is to get a bashring that will allow a 32T chainring to be attached. So if that's the only way, it doesn't seem that I would really save any cash over getting an MRP Bling Ring. I was hoping to get an cheaper temporary ring until I could get a hold of an HBC ring.

I am excited though because my first parts ordered should be here tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Fiddly? Can you explain? I just ordered one but I'm not above returning it. I do use a Thomson stem on my RockHopper and it's rock solid.

After looking around, seems that there really aren't any 120BCD bashguard options out there either. Figures I'd choose a crank that has such a stupid bolt pattern. Maybe I'll sell the stupid thing and get something else that I can actually use.

HOV
    mtbr member
    I'll second the recommendation for anything Surly that has teeth on it. Nice fit and finish, decent price, good materials.

I've had a Thompson seatpost, it was too fiddly for my tastes. However, a Thompson seatpost clamp - that's well worth the money. Excellent binder.

mtbr member
    Thomson is the way to go on the seatpost ... not sure what people mean by "fiddly," but they are light AND strong AND the clamp and adjustability are the best there is. Get an Elite and you'll be happy ... get a Masterpiece if you have a little extra $$ to spend and you'll be in sub-carbon weight class.

As for cogs, the Surly's have worked fine for me. Kings are really nice, but 20 tooth is the largest they make, and they're a bit pricey.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Crank is here, more stuff set to be delivered next week, all that's left to order is the chainring, cog(s), and a chain. I need a stem as well but I'll use the one off my RockHopper for now and probably go into my LBS and use their adjustable stem that way I can get the size dialed in before having to buy and return several stems.

So, needless to say, I am very excited. Heading in next week to get my headset pressed in and I need to get a bottom bracket tool...otherwise, I should be ready to roll very soon. The thing that will hold me up is waiting on the chainring, and no, not talking about HBC either, though I have one ordered from them as well.

mtbr member
    Ok, so here's the list again...

Brakes - BB7 Ordered
    Levers - Avid Speed Dial 7 Ordered
    Crank - SRAM X.7 - HAVE
    Chainring -
    Cog(s) -
    Chain -
    Seat post - Thomson - Ordered
    Seat post clamp - Hope Quick Release Ordered
    Stem -
    Handlebar - Crank Brothers Cobalt 1 XC Bar 700mm Ordered
    Grips - Ergon GP1 Ordered

I want to place my last order today if possible so if anyone could chime in on those last things I need to get...

-I'm going to get a Surly 20T cog to start with
    -Probably ordering either a Salsa chainring or Surly chainring, 32T (I ordered new cranks that will accept 104BCD, Truvativ 2011 AKA 1.1 G GXP Single Speed). That will hold me off until my HBC ring gets here end of the year for next season.
    -Chain, undecided but likely something KMC or SRAM.
    -I'm guessing I also need a single speed conversion kit since I'm going to be using my geared rear hub for now, I was looking at the Surly kit for $40. If there are others or if you'd recommend piecing one togther, let me know. I was also wondering if anyone used the locking spacers and how they worked out for you.
    -Stem, I'll likely buy that local.

I think that's it. I need new tires too but I'll probably get them next month before my first race that I'm entering, that is if the current ones last that long. Anyways, I appreciate the help and hopefully very soon I'll be able to post up pics of parts and the actual build.

mtbr member
    Well, trying to decide on a chainring...Surly for steel and durability, Salsa for blingy red, or a Renthal SR4 for, IMO, a pretty tough looking chainring. I know it's not all about the looks but when the prices are pretty close, as long as the quality is close, I guess going for looks is ok.

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Well, trying to decide on a chainring...Surly for steel and durability, Salsa for blingy red, or a Renthal SR4 for, IMO, a pretty tough looking chainring. I know it's not all about the looks but when the prices are pretty close, as long as the quality is close, I guess going for looks is ok.
    Don't forget about Rennen. Available in a bunch of sizes and ano colors.

I have a red Salsa ring on my SS. Matches great with the other red accent parts on the bike.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    I like the cheapo SS conversion kit that Pricepoint sells, assuming you don't need a tensioned. Great thread!

Sent from a boring meeting using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    No, shouldn't since the frame as sliders. I just need the spacers and lock ring. I hate that there are so many choices...lol...makes it hard. Now I am looking at the Misfit COD Cogs. They are aluminum and I think I'd rather have steel for durability but that 6.5mm base sounds nice too.

For you powerhouse mashers, have you ran into to any issues running aluminum drivetrain parts? I have a steel cassette, steel freehub body, and of course the chainrings are steel so it hasn't been a problem so far on my geared bike. I'll probably still end up with the Surly cog, but I do really like that wide base and black annoed gear from Misfit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    Don't forget about Rennen. Available in a bunch of sizes and ano colors.

I have a red Salsa ring on my SS. Matches great with the other red accent parts on the bike.
    Thanks for the heads-up on Rennen. Good looking stuff.

mtbr member
    List update....

Brakes - BB7 - HAVE
    Cable - Jagwire Ripcord - Ordered
    Levers - Avid Speed Dial 7 - HAVE
    Crank - SRAM X.7 - HAVE
    Chainring - Race Face Single Ring 32T - Ordered
    Cog(s) - Surly steel, 20T - Ordered
    Chain - KMC Z610HX - Ordered
    Seat post - Thomson - HAVE
    Seat post clamp - Hope Quick Release - HAVE
    Stem - Thomson (HAVE) for now, will buy new once I get size dialed in
    Handlebar - Crank Brothers Cobalt 1 XC Bar 700mm - HAVE
    Grips - Ergon GP1 - HAVE

So, bunch of stuff came in today. New crankset shipped out today, ordering the remaining components tomorrow, getting the headset pressed in this week, so...I should be up and running sometime next week. Last thing to decide on is a chain.
    Last edited by Nubster; 06-13-2012 at 11:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Last parts ordered! Should be in business by next weekend

mtbr member
    It's a ROLLER !!!!!

All remaining parts have shipped, should be here mid-week next week so I am hoping for some first ride impressions by next weekend

Anyways, here's some diSSent porn...don't mind that some bits are borrowed or left over from my RockHopper, those will be replaced in time, everything is just thrown together at the moment cause I wanted to see what it looked like to this point....

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Looks great love red accents. Welcome to the family.
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Niner Jet 9
    Misfit diSSent 1x11

Misfit Psycles
    how are you not going nuts missing that one single little bit...i say take it for a hike and ride it down where you can.

It's a ROLLER !!!!!

All remaining parts have shipped, should be here mid-week next week so I am hoping for some first ride impressions by next weekend

Anyways, here's some diSSent porn...don't mind that some bits are borrowed or left over from my RockHopper, those will be replaced in time, everything is just thrown together at the moment cause I wanted to see what it looked like to this point....

Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere View Post
    how are you not going nuts missing that one single little bit...i say take it for a hike and ride it down where you can.
    haha...I actually thought about that. A 29er balance bike...AWESOME!

mtbr member
    More parts arrived...only thing missing is a chain. I have two ordered and tracking says they will be here Thursday....today's new arrival and a little eye candy...

mtbr member
    Well....IT'S ALIVE!!!!! Just finished getting things together and took a quick little jaunt up the street. I can see that I am really going to love this bike. The gearing is probably just right to start. No issues up the initial hill out of my driveway but I can tell the bigger climbs I have on my normal laps around town are going to hurt...a LOT! I'm extremely happy and excited to get this thing dialed in and start ridding the piss out of it.

Last edited by Nubster; 06-20-2012 at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    looks good so far! I'm willing to bet it induces smiles on the first ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    looks good so far! I'm willing to bet it induces smiles on the first ride.
    I rode probably less than 1/4 mile and it already has

mtbr member
    I got in about 5 miles this even and other than some fit issues that need dialed in, this thing is freakin' AWESOME. Climbs like a mountain goat. I was worried about climbing a couple of the bigger climbs in my loop, which aren't that bad in reality but would have me dropping my gears way down sometime on my Rockhopper, as low as 32x36 I made the biggest climb tonight with my 32x20 and it felt like I climbed it faster (not easier...lol) than I have ever climbed it before. The bike just felt...right. I'm very happy

mtbr member
    Second run on my new SS and POP!!!! Lost a couple chainring bolts. No idea what happened. I was doing a very short, slightly steep climb in town and I guess I torqued on it a bit too much. Limped home to find two chainring bolts missing. Got them (all 4) replaced today with some new steel bolts and blue locktight. Otherwise, loving this bike. Climbing what hills I have in town is so much easier. Tomorrow I'll finally get some dirt time!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    looks good

mtbr member
    Thanks. Got some trail time today. About 6.5 miles. It was AWESOME. Couple short steep climbs I couldn't make but overall, the rest of the trails felt better and faster and easier than my geared bike. Only issue was on the hard climbs when I had to put down some torque, the chain would skip a tooth on the chainring. Any idea why? Chain tension, chain line, am I just too much of a powerhouse? I didn't look closely yet, I will tomorrow though. Any other time on the trail it was perfect.

mtbr member
    Things are pretty much sorted with the bike now. I just thought I'd throw up a little up date. This is officially my only mountain bike at the moment and honestly I don't feel the need for another. If I do feel like I need another bike, I have a John Henry frame collecting dust that I can build, probably into another SS. Nothing has really changed on the bike other than the saddle and grips. I'm shipping a SS Chris King hub out on Tuesday to have a wheel built so I'll have a dedicated SS hub/wheel in a couple weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing what this CK stuff is all about. Only future upgrades I see in the future is maybe a new bb since the one I have is starting to make a bunch of noise. I thought about trying hydraulic brakes but honestly the BB7's have been prefectly acceptable. Besides, I think going hydraulic might negate part of the reason I love this bike so much, simplicity. Anyways, I'll leave you with a few photos since everyone likes pictures....

mtbr member
    I just noticed too that it's two days short of being one year since I started this thread...lol

one chain loop
    that aka crank is begging for red spiderless rings..
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I ordered one...a year ago. Should be here any day now :/

Misfit Psycles
    You done did a great job on that build...and despite that...it looks so much better dirty.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Very nice ride!!

You ever find out what was causing the chain to slip when you first built it?
    www.getbusylivin.org
    Salsa El Mariachi--SS
    Gone-
    Trek SuperFly FS 7
    Airborne Guardian
    Redline Monocog Flight

mtbr member
    Not being able to tighten down the dropouts enough. They'd strip before they got tight enough. Still having the same issue, just not as much. I grabbed some grade 8 bolts and split washers and go as tight as I can and it holds for a little while but starts to slacken up after 50 or so miles. Kinda irrataing really. I'm thinking VERY hard about getting either a cusom Ti frame or taking a chance on one of the Canfield Nimble 9 frames.

Misfit Psycles
    Before you do that:
    The Mk.ii offered much improved slider throw over Mk.i but the horizontal nature of the slide was not my favorite.
    The current (domestic) frame has a superior slider system that offers even more throw and less propensity for chain-slap and slip.

diSSent ALC

If you are that frustrated I would consider a credit (for the olde frame) towards the new...

Email me: peter at misfitpsycles dot com if I can help...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Did you decide not to get your Custom titanium frame? I wanted to add that since you said you're pretty clyde, I'd recommend a single speed cog that has a wider base like Chris King and J.C.B. smallers based cogs can really chew up your cassette hub body. I only weigh 170 and I did a good job of notching up a hub body running 32/17.

mtbr member
    No, still thinking about it. I have a steel free body on my hub so it's not too big a deal. The Surly cog on there now is fairly wide, but I do actually have a new rear wheel being built as I type this and it's on a CK SS hub and I have a 20T CK cog for it too.

And Peter, thanks. I'll certainly shoot you an email and see what we can workout. I do love the frame.

mtbr member
    Well...I loved the frame but im done with it now. The chain got loose costing me a chainring and three mile hike out of the woods. Needless to say...not a happy camper.

Last edited by Nubster; 06-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.

SCRUBDUNKER
    Should have removed the paint from the drop outs, roughed them up and gotten some knurled washers.

mtbr member
    Might work. I think its a design issue as well. Might try that but one way or another a new frame is in order. Im not dealing with this everytime I ride.

SCRUBDUNKER
    It's not.

mtbr member
    It is. Even Peter will say that the slider design is not so hot hence the redesign. If it wasn't a design flaw then the supplied bolts that came with the frame would have worked just fine and I wouldn't be having this problem. They didn't and I am.

Misfit Psycles
    products evolve - that said, your situation is worth special consideration - email sent!

diSSent dropout discussion: HERE
    diSSent slider discussion: HERE
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    I hope I am not coming across like I'm bashing this bike frame. That's not what I'm trying to do. Maybe it's just frustration coming out but for whatever reason, I just can't get this setup to workout properly. Might be the frame, might be the components, could be me or some combination.

Misfit Psycles
    I hope I am not coming across like I'm bashing this bike frame. That's not what I'm trying to do. Maybe it's just frustration coming out but for whatever reason, I just can't get this setup to workout properly. Might be the frame, might be the components, could be me or some combination.
    meh, frustration is exactly and totally how I'd be feeling at this point too...just thought it worth noting (to others) that your experience isn't the 'norm'.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    you wouldn't be the first person i've seen that has blown up that raceface ring. I'm sure there's a good reason the new models don't have those cutouts anymore.

mtbr member
    I noticed that when I was looking for a replacement. Luckily my HBC spiderless ring is due to be delivered tomorrow...believe it or not. One year to the day that I ordered it. Of course, who knows, I might be getting an empty package or a letter telling me to pound sand. My luck it will just be the totally wrong ring that I won't even be able to use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere View Post
    meh, frustration is exactly and totally how I'd be feeling at this point too...just thought it worth noting (to others) that your experience isn't the 'norm'.
    I believe that. And just to say, this frame is great otherwise. The ride, the geometry, the build quality, it looks badass....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You have a Siren John Henry, right? Build that up!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    It doesn't have SS friendly dropouts. I know I can use a tensioner. I've thought about it. Just haven't gotten around to trying it out.

mtbr member
    Ready for action. Heading out for a ride this afternoon. Hope everything holds up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If the Siren fits well, I would just send it to them to swap out the drops (for track ends, or swing). Siren's are ridiculously nice bikes.

mtbr member
    I actually sent Brendan an email last week but in his usual fashion, I don't expect to hear back until the third email to him and about 2 weeks time. I can't say for sure, but I'm about 90% sure Brendan and Dan Wilcox are brothers or some other close relation. At the very least, they took classes at the same back alley business school.

mtbr member
    BTW, the Siren at this point is up for sale if anyone is interested. Size large, never built. Just collecting dust in my closet at this point.

John Henry Siren size large, never built. - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Made an upgrade to the rear end of my bike today....

Laced to a new MTx33 rim like I'm already running. Can't wait to give it a run.

mtbr member
    That King SS hub sure is pretty!

and you're gonna LOVE that thing!

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Oh man, I love that hub. Where'd you score that bad boy?

mtbr member
    Last year out of the classified section! Just finally got around to having it laced up.

mtbr member
    What's the main difference you've noticed? I'm about to get my DT 240s hubs laced to some Stan's Arch EX but I have to come up with $140 worth of DT Revolution spokes and $150 to pay my buddy that is gunna build them ($75 per wheel).

mtbr member
    I haven't rode it yet but just messing around with it, it's much quieter than the Hope which isn't a big deal, I liked the noise. But the main difference is engagement. I never noticed when I was on a geared bike, but on my SS, the Hope sometimes take an 1/8 of a pedal crank to engage which kinda sucks when you're on a climb. The CK, at least playing with it, is nearly instant. Of course the build quality is top shelf but I can't say there's any complaint with the Hope either. IMO, Hope represents the best bang for the buck but CK is definitely one of the, if not the king of the mountain in mtb hubs. And that's coming from someone that resisted CK for years. If it wasn't for the fantastic deal on the CK, I still would be riding on the Hope and perfectly happy.

mtbr member
    Fist ride on the CK. I'm a convinced. It's definitely a sweetass hub. It felt smoother though that might just be in my head, but the engagement is MUCH better than the Hope. Instant hookup. I just did a couple laps around town. I can't wait to get out in the woods with this thing.

mtbr member
    Nice! I decided to go with DT Swiss for the star ratchet that's supposed to be more reliable and can have same engagement as CK with the upgrade kit. The main selling point for me was that it's a forged hub, not a CNC'd chunk of Alu. so it will last longer and can be re-laced multiple times.

mtbr member
    Can't say I've really ever heard of CK failures though. Sure it's happened, but it doesn't seem to happen often. I've never read of one. It's all good though. I paid less for this CK hub than I did for my Hope Pro II, so certainly no complaints/regrets from this guy.

mtbr member
    Well, if I found as good of a deal on some CK hubs as I did on these DTs I definitely woulda snatched em up. I got the front and rear hub for $350. Before I bought my new frame I was looking at building new wheels for my GT and even with my 30% discount from the shop I work at, it would have cost $735. So when I saw that I could get both for under the price of one of them I was like HOLY CRAP! I can't wait to get em laced up. Did you notice any difference in how the bike handles? Is the weight difference noticeable when you're on the bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austinTRON View Post
    Nice! I decided to go with DT Swiss for the star ratchet that's supposed to be more reliable and can have same engagement as CK with the upgrade kit. The main selling point for me was that it's a forged hub, not a CNC'd chunk of Alu. so it will last longer and can be re-laced multiple times.
    The upgrade kit takes you to 36 not 72. Something about the DT system makes the hubs feel like you have more POE than you do though. Either hub should last long enough that you need to lace another rim to it
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    The upgrade kit takes you to 36 not 72. Something about the DT system makes the hubs feel like you have more POE than you do though. Either hub should last long enough that you need to lace another rim to it
    Only time will tell. I've read tons of arguments on both sides and it is not unlike the Shimano vs Sram threads. Some people have tons of luck with one, some do not. Thanks for pointing out the POE of the DTs, I've read a lot of details about the star ratchet upgrade but it was a while ago and was just a drop in the ocean of crap I read on these forums, and I've slept since then, lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austinTRON View Post
    Did you notice any difference in how the bike handles? Is the weight difference noticeable when you're on the bike?
    Yeah, I got my CK for $220 shipped.

Handling, no. Like I said, it felt smoother but I think that just in my head. I think that the difference in noise between the Hope and the CK give the illusion of a smoother roll.

As far as weight, the CK is actually 12g heavier! Not that it's enough to tell. Plus I inadvertently jumped from a 20T cog to an 18T cog so that extra effort riding last night negated any benefit I got from the CK hub...lol

Hope Pro II w/ steel free body = 363g
    CK Single Speed = 375g

mtbr member
    sslos has a nice set of ss king wheels for sale in the classifieds.

That's where I picked mine up last year and they are great.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    sslos has a nice set of ss king wheels for sale in the classifieds.

That's where I picked mine up last year and they are great.

SPP
    I am very wary of buying custom wheels online. Could have dishing issues, radial hops, tensioning issues, pawls that skip in the hub, etc. etc.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to give a shout out to the great customer service I received from RaceFace. Even though it's been slightly more than a year since I bought my ring (though it's got less than 200miles riding time on it), the decided to warranty the ring and send me a new one. Didn't quiet expect that but I think it's because maybe there's a design flaw. IMO at least. I only think that since the new rings seem to not have the large cutouts which as I found out, weaken the ring.

So even though I have my HBC ring, I was thinking of building this bike in to an around town workout bike and build my new frame (Canfield Nimble 9) in to my dedicated trail bike. So I can use the new RaceFace ring on this bike and the HBC on the new build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hmmmm nimble 9....

mtbr member
    That thing is awesome, I would frame it and hang it in your man cave.

mtbr member
    Thought about that. I kinda hate to send it back to them. But I also hate to spend $30+ on another chainring too.

Members who have read this thread: 0