First SS, Any Suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

First SS, Any Suggestions?

Hey Guys,

I am getting ready (in the next week or less) to order up some parts and build my first Singlespeed.

I am currently riding a 2002 Surly Instigator and love it to death. But I am ready to try something elce. The instigator that I have is roughly 36Lbs. due to heavy components and a DH/Free Ride component group it is nothing short of a beast. In a SS I am looking for something relitivly tough and not obsurdly expensive. My brother has a 1x1 and I liked it, so I am thinking of getting the same deal, just in my size. I was going to keep it complely rigid so I get a lot better with my technical riding blasting down single track runs and so fourth. What I am really asking is this, would a Surly 1x1 be a good starting out SS bike? I am going to be build it ground up, and want to use it for more agressive single track type riding, so I will be putting some avid's on her. I am also going to sharpen my skills and possibly then some in the trials area so I was going to put the Shimano Saint setup on it because it has that sweet BB and a bash guard. Mostly because I am not sure how tuff a Truvative Stylo would be. Gear wise I think I will be running 32/16.

I think this bike will be good to start with, and if my instigator is any testimant to how Surly's hold up, it will definatly take some abuse. So after all my blabber I just wanted to know if it would be a good rig, since all you know best. Since I also do not know a whole lot in the way's of SS Crank Sets, are there any other good Setups with Bash Guards around? I work at a shop so I can get Employee Discounts or atleast Cost on this stuff, so I can get fairly good quality. But with the overall build I was hopeing to keep it under 1000-1500.

Anywho, sorry I rambled, but any help would be awesome!

-Julian

Bikes not Bombs.....

Excellent choice for a first bike.

The 1x1 has a lot of history and many devoted followers. My advice would be to buy one, wear out the components and then replace with better components as needed. Keep the cost down until you are sure you are in love with the SS thing. Then upgrade as you budget allows.

Welcome and show pictures when you have time to post them for us to see. We are just a little bit bike crazy here....

-JS-
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I will make sure to post a pic of the bike the second it is done! Also I agree, if I really get into SS I will get the super nice stuff, assuming I can afford it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

On-One?

I just was cleaning up some stuff at work and saw that I could get on-one imbred's rather cheap. So I was wondering how they hold up aginst a 1x1. Not gloat but I want a rigid SS that can take some very agressive riding through single track and DH type trails, with out a prob. Frame and Fork Wise side by side 1x1 vs. Imbred. I will be good to whatever I get but I want to ride hard and still get the best bang for the buck. Anyone ridden both? Or have a good idea how tuff they each are?

TR
    Angry bunny
    Haven't ridden either one but keep in mind that the Inbred does not have disc mounts on the frame.

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm MonoCog

Think about it. It'll take a beating.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

ballbuster

Don't take it anywhere with....

... monster hills the first time out, or you will just be turned off by it. Get some hills in of course, but nothing like Henry Coe or Briones the first time.

King Pin

... and if we just ... Surly....surely!

I'm biased in having owned previously a 1X1, and just built up my second.

My bling bling Ti bike has been a garage queen since the new Black build. I love 'em!

No experience with the others, but I reckon the Inbred or Monocog or any other similiarly low-priced steel frame will please you as well....would me at least. Well, I'd pick the Inbred or Surly first.....8^) Surly's ride nice!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hill's dont phase me at all. I rode my brothers 1x1 which is a little heavy at like 28lbs. My instigator weighs about 36lbs, the sheer weight drop makes a normal 32/16 geared single nothing short of bliss. I know the 1x1 is tuff, ive seen my brother waste people on DH trails who had full blown DH bikes, no question there. Just wondering if the On-One is just as sturdy of a setup. Quite honestly I can't wait to get on a SS again no matter what it may be so long as I can ride her good.

Thanks for the input though guys, its a huge help.

ballbuster

IRO frame, $200

Just saw an ad for this. If you click from the MTBR home page, Francois may see a couple of bucks from it. So go to the Hot Deals section of the home page.

http://www.webcyclery.com/js/.docs/p...t_details.html