First SS Advice- Mtbr.com

Thread: First SS Advice

AussieLostInNyc

Idea! First SS Advice

After much rationalisation I have decided that there is no point in getting a FS bike having just moved to NYC. It will not get the use it deserves. I have decided to enter the realm of SS
    and give my body a good workout tearing around the streets and cycle ways.
    I now need to decide what.
    The price of the 04 Solo One fits the bill and seems a good start.
    The alternative is building one(task beyond my skill at the moment). There are plenty of
    bike 'chop shops' in my neigbourhood that would keep cost down but I have a karma issue
    with that. I could get my LBS put together a 1x1 (frame is $260) but would the cost exceed
    the Solo One by a whole lot for a basic rig to last for a while? I am 6'4 and 180 pounds.
    Any advice or should I just walk in and buy the Solo One and if so should I swap anything out at time of purchase, say avid disc breaks for the front?
    Thanks, I am really looking forward to sinking myself into this as the weather is great and I am sick of walking!
    Gumby

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby
    After much rationalisation I have decided that there is no point in getting a FS bike having just moved to NYC. It will not get the use it deserves. I have decided to enter the realm of SS
    and give my body a good workout tearing around the streets and cycle ways.
    I now need to decide what.
    The price of the 04 Solo One fits the bill and seems a good start.
    The alternative is building one(task beyond my skill at the moment). There are plenty of
    bike 'chop shops' in my neigbourhood that would keep cost down but I have a karma issue
    with that. I could get my LBS put together a 1x1 (frame is $260) but would the cost exceed
    the Solo One by a whole lot for a basic rig to last for a while? I am 6'4 and 180 pounds.
    Any advice or should I just walk in and buy the Solo One and if so should I swap anything out at time of purchase, say avid disc breaks for the front?
    Thanks, I am really looking forward to sinking myself into this as the weather is great and I am sick of walking!
    Gumby
    Look at a Bianchi SASS or PISTA if you'll be riding mostly in the city. I'm not sure I'd want any suspension let alone rear suspension for a bike ridden in the city, and I have no problems riding my rigid bikes on trails. The Bianchi SASS also has better parts, and the PISTA is even cheaper.