First single speed conversion on the cheap- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First single speed conversion on the cheap

$19 for the 'forte" kit (I know, I know, but like I said, on the cheap).

I used everything else that I had, and plan on getting better "single speed stuff" once I figure out what works for me.

My old Klein Fervor was the candidate, pictures taken after my first 2 hour ride: 32-16 spins out fast on the road, but glad I had it in the woods!

Man, this is FUN! I'm sure I'll keep the gears on my other bikes, but this one may never go back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Suffering Mightily
    Nice! Love the fork. Enjoy!
    Without freedom of choice, there is no creativity. Without creativity, there is no life. The body dies.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    looks good. first thing i'd change is the ramped cog and chainring. i've had horrible luck with such things (falling off, especially under power) and straight cut is definitely the way to go. otherwise, have fun!
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by markf
    looks good. first thing i'd change is the ramped cog and chainring. i've had horrible luck with such things (falling off, especially under power) and straight cut is definitely the way to go. otherwise, have fun!
    The cog is not ramped, assuming he's using one of the ones that came with his conversion kit.

mtbr member
    Cog is straight. Chain ring is ramped, chain is an 8-speed.

I didn't have any chain trouble, then again, I only have 2 hours on it.

I plan on a PC-1 chain and a straight chain ring in the future. Probably ditch the tensioner for a chain tug too.

I've read a lot of useful info on this site, thanks to all.

|i|
    Those look like horizontal dropouts - why can't you use that to tension the chain?

stick
    Quote Originally Posted by robotkiller
    Those look like horizontal dropouts - why can't you use that to tension the chain?
    Aren't they track ends ? I thought horizontal dropouts faced the other direction ?

As for that, I don't see any spot for the tensioning screw, so that may not be an option. It might be possible to do with a normal axle and some levers otherwise, but with quick release I don't think you'll be able to put enough tension on the frame itself to keep the chain taut.

mtbr member
    Dash: My thoughts also, I didn't think the QR would hold, axle now is bottomed (forward).

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    The cog is not ramped, assuming he's using one of the ones that came with his conversion kit.
    i thought about that about 20 mins after i posted. but yeah, i tore apart my cassette and used a ring outta there, and combined with a ramped front ring, it was bad news. every time i put pressure on it over rough terrain, it'd bounce off and i'd crash. only did that 3x before i bought the correct rings. if it works it works, and if that's working, don't bother changing.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0