first single speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

first single speed

hey guys
    i want to build my first single speed but i am not sure what parts to use to do it. i know theres a bunch of different tensionors (sp) but i dont know which one is the right one. also im not sure what gear ratio to go with. i just want something that is going to be easy to ride on the street as well as the trails. o yeah the frame i am using is a haro escape 8.1 so it has vertical dropouts. thanks for any help Brandon

Premium Member
    You should just use your old derailleur for a tensioner. It works better than a SS tensioner anyway, I've used both.

mtbr member
    well my old derailer is on a different bike right now. i was looking on unreal cycles website and then have a dmr tensoiner there for 30 http://www.unrealcycles.com/item.php?view=191 and the gusset single speed kit for 22 http://www.unrealcycles.com/item.php?view=122. has anyone had any experiance with them

mtbr member
    Check out the FAQ link on the right side of the page ----->

Tons of good information there.

It could be any derailer if you have one. It doesn't matter what speed.

mtbr member
    ok thanks

mtbr member
    I haven't tried a derailleur.
    I started with a Soulcraft Convert. Beat the snot out of the old Single-ator.
    Now am using an ENO Eccentric.
    Smooth miles to you, Watto.
    raise the prayer flags of the temple of one gear.

slowvelo

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Here is my take on the Gusset SS conversion:

The product performs well. However, installation was not a smooth as expected. Also, I contacted Gusset Bikes regarding the lockring issue - and yes, they are aware of it - but only willing to say use a different lockring, duh.

Product Used For: 3 Month
    Product Strengths:

The steel cog is nice and strong. Installation was somewhat easy, It only takes a few minutes and some tinkering (c-weakness section).
    Product Weaknesses:

The delivered lockring appears to be too deep for the Mavic cassette hub body. Upon tightening the lockring to spec, the cassette hub body was Locked up. So, I removed the delivered lockring and replaced with an XTR lockring from a 12-34t cassette. This modification works fine, no more locked hub body. Also, the spacers inside diameter is a bit small and may not fit all cassette hub bodies (Hugi on Rolf wheels). The fit issue was solved with a bit of grease and a good whack. Also, the narrow cog can damage the freehub if used for an extended period of time.

My Bike:

I am using this system on a Moots ybb with a Surly Singleator (pushing up) in combination with a Surly 34t steel sprocket and a Sram 58 chain.

Members who have read this thread: 0