first rigid need advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

New question here. first rigid need advice

Looking to buy a single speed rigid 29er. Never ridden rigid before but looking forward to it! Anybody have any experience with bikesdirect.com? Debating between motobecane outcast ss 29er (aluminum frame) and the dawes deadeye ss 29er (steel frame). Anybody ridden either of these? both are rigid bikes and wondering whether steel or aluminum is better on a ridgid bike for cross country riding. Any advice?

mtbr member

Steel is real, don't forget your LBS

I wouldn't touch one of those with a 10 foot pole. Even if most bikes are Taiwanese made catalog frames, you can't expect much service from that site. Steel is the answer you're looking for. Aluminum would pound ass rigid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I ride rigid aluminum. Tires are far more important than frame material, don't listen to anybody who tells you otherwise. I have liked both the bikesdirect bikes I've purchased; as long as you're okay with most of the parts being bottom of the barrel at the sub-$400 pricepoint (which is perfectly reasonable) they're a great deal. My friend has a motobecane outcast, and it's been a pretty decent bike for the price; both of my BD bikes have been roadies.

Quote Originally Posted by jonzinmj
    I wouldn't touch one of those with a 10 foot pole. Even if most bikes are Taiwanese made catalog frames, you can't expect much service from that site. Steel is the answer you're looking for. Aluminum would pound ass rigid.
    Have you ridden one?

On another note, all my local bike shops are staffed and run by jackholes. Don't support your LBS unless they earn it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alobbesta
    Looking to buy a single speed rigid 29er. Never ridden rigid before but looking forward to it! Anybody have any experience with bikesdirect.com? Debating between motobecane outcast ss 29er (aluminum frame) and the dawes deadeye ss 29er (steel frame). Anybody ridden either of these? both are rigid bikes and wondering whether steel or aluminum is better on a ridgid bike for cross country riding. Any advice?
    Buddy of mine just got the SE Stout no ride on it yet but says he like it. Ever look at a Monocog 29er? Thats what I have and have been bullet proof for the past 2 seasons. Only real issue I'v had with it was the rear hub having some issues with engagement. But frame and other parts are pretty solid. Should check it out
    Rolling the Fattys

mtbr member
    If I were u I would get steel Dawes deadeye it's a decent entry point and cheap you will be able to experience a rigid 29er and the parts are fine for the price
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks all. ill have to check out the monocog

master blaster
    i rode my 26" rigid bike (ti frame, steel fork) for months before i got my 29" rigid bike (steel frame, steel fork) and i must say there was a huge difference between the steel frame and the ti frame.
    ive ridden a few bikes in aluminum and was never a fan. i can only imagin what a aluminum full rigid bike would be like (beyond unforgiving i imagine)
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I picked up a Windsor Cliff 29.1 from bikesdirect a few months back. I don't have a lot of miles on it as its just a spare bike, but riding rocky singletrack is was suprisingly much more compliant than i expected. Far exceeded my expectations for a sub $400 bike.

If you have a bike shop local check them out. For me the nearest lbs is 25+ miles away and online is just easier to gamble with. As long as you don't expect the same service online as you would locally I don't think you'd be disapointed.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    A friend of mine has an Outcast and loves it. He also had a nice parts bin to upgrade it with, and has been riding for a long time so knows what he wants. If you are less experienced, you might be better off shopping locally.

Out spokin'
    Personally I've owned aluminum frames and steel frames (still own both). Aluminum makes a great material for full suspension frames -- it's light and rigid stuff. In a rigid bike, aluminum felt to me like I was riding a block of granite, albeit a lightweight one. Yeah, I can tell a difference between an aluminum and steel frame, which is not to say that even a steel rigid is going to be uber comfy. Personally I like a compliant frame AND large volume tires.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Single Speed Nation
    I've had an aluminum hardtail for the past 6 years. I just picked up a fully rigid Steel bike. Other than the lack of a front fork (which on my hardtail was really only useful for the larger hits) the steel bike seems far more compliant than my aluminum hardtail. It's much more comfortable to ride. There IS a huge difference between steel and aluminum.

BTW, both bikes have fat, compliant tires. My hard tail is riding on 2.5's, and my rigid is on 2.35s, so I believe that shouldn really make a difference. Neither of them have kevlar sidewalls.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My friend and I both had 2008 SE Stouts which is the same aluminum frame as the Motobecane. I loved mine and he is still riding his with about 1700 miles on it. I just switched to a steel frame and can't tell much difference. I guess it depends where you ride but the aluminum will hold up fine for you.

Members who have read this thread: 0