First ride report and fork question...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

First ride report and fork question...

I finally completed my first SS build and got to take it out for her maiden voyage. It was a blast, I knew that I was going to love it but had not idea how much I would l love it. My favorite things about it: 1. the rigid fork - allows you to get out of the saddle and stomp some climbs. I did climbs that I used to struggle with on my geared bike. 2. The silence created by the missing parts and the lack of chain slapping the chain stays. It was outstanding. The whole damn ride was outstanding. I did take some punishment with the completely rigid aluminum bike, but it is that type of enjoyable punishment most people pay for.

Which brings me to my question: I have a alum fork on the bike, would a cro-moly fork like a Kona P2 take away some of the pounding? How noticeble would it be?

I have pics of the bike and will post them sometime this weekend

Dirt Donkey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_donkey
    I finally completed my first SS build and got to take it out for her maiden voyage. It was a blast, I knew that I was going to love it but had not idea how much I would l love it. My favorite things about it: 1. the rigid fork - allows you to get out of the saddle and stomp some climbs. I did climbs that I used to struggle with on my geared bike. 2. The silence created by the missing parts and the lack of chain slapping the chain stays. It was outstanding. The whole damn ride was outstanding. I did take some punishment with the completely rigid aluminum bike, but it is that type of enjoyable punishment most people pay for.

Which brings me to my question: I have a alum fork on the bike, would a cro-moly fork like a Kona P2 take away some of the pounding? How noticeble would it be?

I have pics of the bike and will post them sometime this weekend

Dirt Donkey
    amen.
    as to for the fork, something like the p2 will take away some of the sting (I'm running a tange cro-mo non-susp corrected on a '93 steel frame). A fat front tire will help more (ie a 2.3-4). I bought one of the kenda kinetics 2.35 at jenson on closeout, it makes a huge difference compared to a 2.1. If your hands can take a fatter grip, that'll also help (ie oury's).

Members who have read this thread: 0