first ride on gears in awhile- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

first ride on gears in awhile

and I felt unconnected to the trail, forgot how to shift properly, annoyed at how loud the drivetrain was, concerned about the rear derailleur (forgot how loud that thing is back there!). I'm doing a long race this weekend and I finally got the geared bike back. but I'm not totally convinced I need it anymore. I'm thinking about dropping down to one bike, the single, for financial reasons until I can afford one of those big wheel bikes the kids are talking about.

does anyone here ride a geared bike still? What are your thoughts? When I first started to ss I thought it'd be a great way to train for riding the geared bike, now it's all I really feel comfortable on. About the only time I long for gears is on the road and on the flats everywhere else feels great with one gear.

large member
    After riding a 26" SS for the majority of the year, I'm building up a 1x9 29er. After the first 3 months on the SS, I went back and rode my geared 26" FS bike. It felt disconnected, sluggish and sloppy. I attributed most of this to the FS aspect however. The SS is a steel hardtail and the new 1x9 29er will be as well. I should have it built up next week and I'm looking forward to seeing how it feels riding some gears again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Geared FS 26"

p,
    I bought a 29 SS this spring.
    I have ridden it all summer.
    My Reba barfed on a ride last month, and I have not put the rigid fork back on it yet.
    I resurrected the Sugar 2+, as I was wondering what my old flame felt like.
    I have had 2 rides on it the last couple of weeks.
    My impression is that everything is a compromise..........................
    There are things I like, and dislike about both bikes.

As far as the shifting problems, well that is not really an issue for me.
    I learned how to use thumb shifter, rapid fire, gripshift, rapid rise trigger shifters, and now SRAM trigger shifters.
    I feel just as connected to the trail on either bike, just in a different way.
    I will say that I am definitely faster on a geared than a SS on most 'race type' terrain.
    On the road, I don't necessarily go much faster with gears, but the reality is I have to ride roads to get to the trail.

I am having another 29er being built right now, but still plan on keeping the 26" geared FS bike.
    Flexibility is the key in my mind.
    If I were to own a single bike, it would be a 29er with Paragon dropouts (SS or geared).
    Aggressive geometry, running disc brakes with quality components (not blingtastic).
    Rigid and suspension fork.
    I think that would about cover it all........................for now.

my .02

C.

Quote Originally Posted by plume
    and I felt unconnected to the trail, forgot how to shift properly, annoyed at how loud the drivetrain was, concerned about the rear derailleur (forgot how loud that thing is back there!). I'm doing a long race this weekend and I finally got the geared bike back. but I'm not totally convinced I need it anymore. I'm thinking about dropping down to one bike, the single, for financial reasons until I can afford one of those big wheel bikes the kids are talking about.

does anyone here ride a geared bike still? What are your thoughts? When I first started to ss I thought it'd be a great way to train for riding the geared bike, now it's all I really feel comfortable on. About the only time I long for gears is on the road and on the flats everywhere else feels great with one gear.

Having a nice day!
    I recently made some improvements to my FS bike so I have been riding it exclusively for the past two weeks to dial things in. Hopped on the SS today for a lunch ride at the local trail. Boy, did I get lazy! I was sitting a lot more and I just wasn't charging like I typically do on the SS. This doesn't seem to be a problem when I ride the SS more the FS. In fact the changes I made have made the FS better for short standing climbs. That said, I like them equally. There are just some times when gears and a little cushion are good to have. At least for me.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I kinda blew it. I started riding SS in the Summer and haven't been on any geared bike since. Now that the days are shorter, the only opportunity to ride my road bike is on the weekend, but since it's getting colder, Id rather ride one of my MTB's which are both SS's.
    Singlespeed by moonlight is quite a treat though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    After spending the season on a rigid steel ss 29er, I got 2 rides in last weekend on my 7" fs bike with 1x7 and a thumbie.

The bike was a blast to ride on trails again (I still used it all summer for urban and jumping) but the der was driving me crazy after I tweaked it out of place on a skinny I slipped off of! I HATE those things sticking off the side off the bike! Rear derailleurs are in the worst location possible and, imho, have no business being on a mtn bike. They make sense on road bikes (even though I ride fixed) since they are so efficient and rarely get hit.

Anyway, rant over, I felt like I was a much better rider. I tried to ride like I was on my ss, carrying as much mo as possible and rarely shifting. The extra gears were nice, but not worth the price of having that ugly appendage sticking to the back end of my bike. If it wasn't fs it would be gone!

I was definately WAY stonger and faster than before I rode ss.

mtbr member
    Since putting gears (1x9 Duraace/Thumbies) on my Implant, I've hardly ridden it, I was riding it everyday as a SS! Part of me attributes this to the bad weather and the fact I'm spending a lot of time in the gym lately, but I think it's mostly down to not enjoying the bike as much with gears to worry about and numb the experience. So I will have to get a steel SS 29er built up soon, and I'm on that!

Members who have read this thread: 0