First ride with ALFINE tensioner- Mtbr.com
    PSYCHOLUST

First ride with ALFINE tensioner

I've been riding my SS with 35/19 gearing for a while (FIXMEUP gear calculater) as it worked without a tensioner and seemed a good ratio to start the season in the woods here. I decided to change to a 2:1 ratio 36/18 so I needed to run a tensioner again. I had once run a gusset tensioner and had constant problems with the chain slipping due to insufficient 'wrap' . I called my LBS and asked if they stocked the ALFINE tensioner and they did. ( $35.00)
    The derailleur mounting bolt is longer than most to accomidate three spacers (washers) that come with it so you can adjust for chainline. Adjustment is limited, sitting closer to the center of the hub that would be ideal for those running their chainring in the middle ring possition
    It has a bracket that sits where the "B" screw of a derailleur sits and that holds the main body of the tensioner at about a 45 degree angle ( wrap would be better if it were closer to being parallel with the chain stay). A strong spring and smooth running pullies make it quiet and very effective.

We did some tough climbs today without any slippage.
    Not a perfect solution, but far better than the standard "down sprung", single pulley tensioners

mtbr member
    The Yess ETR/D tensioner has a bit more adjustability (chainline and chain tension) than the Alfine tensioner and works very well. I haven't had the chain jump off yet and it's mounted to a Giant Anthem. There is a little noise from the chain going around the top guide but you only hear it if you are pedalling along a quiet road. It is definitely worth a try.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    if you still have problem with adjust ability just get a surly singulator
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Ovaries on the Outside
    If it works and you like it...

I think the Alfine would be great in a dingle format.

Members who have read this thread: 0