Thread: First ride!

Low Rep Count

First ride!

OMG! I thought I was going to die!

So, it was my first ride on my new bike (GT Peace-with a few parts swapped out) as well as my first ride out on a bike in like 3 months. I decided I would do the short loop at our trails which is only about 3.6 miles. Total ride from where the car was parked maybe 5 miles. OF FRICKN DEATH!

In the beginning, things were going great. All my handling skills were there and I was booking! Then I lost site of the trail markers at an intersection so I got a little break while I tried to figure out which way I needed to go. Then I noticed that I was getting winded so I took another break. Then another, then another. Finally, I was getting winded and my legs felt like lead. I swear I probably gained about 4" in girth on my quads/calf muscles while riding yesterday. They felt huge!

The bottom line is that the bike handled well, and had no mechanicals or flats! That alone was a plus. But my body is just out of shape. Even though I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and lift, I haven't been doing cardio and I certainly paid for it. When I got off the bike to walk, both calf muscles started cramping. I couldn't even frickn limp since both of them were cramping. Just sad.

Well, now that the first ride is out of the way, I got no where to go but up! Can't wait to get back out there. Unfortunately, it won't be happening today but I will be out on it tomorrow and Friday. Super stoked. So glad I did a ss swap on my xc bike last year to try it out and then finally picked up the real deal this year. A new passion and desire to ride again has hit me! Loven' it. Now I just need more money so I can build a custom set of wheels and get rid of the cheap brakes that are on this thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You can always gear down for the first couple rides until you start getting your legs back.

Low Rep Count
    I am riding an 18/32 right now. I actually did ok on the hills. I rode up every one of them following the short white loop out there. I rode the loop backwards though (at trail head I started off to the right and finished coming back from the left side if you were standing there with your back to the parking lot) so I was able to skip the steep switch back climb that is in there. I'm sure that my cardio will come back around soon enough though.

I think I would have to go get another cog if I wanted to gear down and I would prefer to suffer and get stronger than spend the money and be a wuss!

Low Rep Count
    Sorry I know I would have to get another cog. What I meant was I think the 18 is the largest that I have at the moment. Either that or I would need to swap out the chain ring which I know the only thing I have is a 34 or a 28. One is too big and the other would be way too small.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Personally, I think 32/18 is pretty good for Schaeffer, and I always ride the white loop "backwards" myself; I think it just flows better that direction.

Low Rep Count
    I think yesterday was the first time I rode it backwards. Last year I spent more of my time out on the long loop. I would have died out there and not made it back to my daughters soccer practice to pick her up if I had gone that far out yesterday. But soon enough! That is my goal anyway! Ride all three loops in one day on the ss. Shouldn't be that difficult. Sure I might have to walk in some places but I will bang them all out in ride session.

Members who have read this thread: 0