First real SS ride report and a gearing option question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

First real SS ride report and a gearing option question

Hello,
    I just went on my first real SS ride and I am HOOKED. I havent had as much of a zen feeling on my bike since I decided to go back to hardtails after years on my full suspension. I had not anticipated how much enjoyment SS would bring me until I was alone in the woods with only the sounds of my tires on leaves and my own pounding heart.

The gearing I am currently running is 34-16. I think the prior owner of my rig must have had viking power legs because this feels too hard for east-coast trails/hills/tech (I live on the MA/NH border)

My question is this:
    I have two options here. The bike currently has a SS-specific rear wheel with a Phil Woods hub and 16T freewheel. I also have a rear wheel with a Chris King cassette hub on it that I could use with a variety of single cogs.

If I am going to ease up my gearing a bit, which would be preferred of the following two options:
    1. Keep the Phil wood wheel on there with the 16T freewheel and swap my front ring from a 34 down to a 30/32 to ease things up a bit. this also gives me a bit more clearance up front with a smaller ring.
    2. Swap to my Chris King wheel and throw a 18T cog on there and keep the 34T front ring. I will have great engagement/bling factor but my "silent" rides will have a lot more angry bee sounds.

If I stick with the freewheel, i have less engagement points, but keep things a bit more 'classic" with the SS-specific wheelset.

Any opinions?

mtbr member
    both work. personally i would put on a larger freewheel on the back something like a 18t or 19t depending on how steep. you can also get an white ind. eno trials freewheel with it's ridiculous engagement point. if you look hard enough you can find a freewheel with a large number of engagement, point.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt
    both work. personally i would put on a larger freewheel on the back something like a 18t or 19t depending on how steep. you can also get an white ind. eno trials freewheel with it's ridiculous engagement point. if you look hard enough you can find a freewheel with a large number of engagement, point.
    I actually have a White Ind Trials freewheel but its on my trials bike and i have NO interest in attempting to remove it from the crank arm (FFW).

What would be the advantage of doing that over the King Hub option? It seems with the king hub I can also dial in my chainline a bit easier with spacers than the freewheel option which requires me to fiddle with my BB spacing. I already have a steel shell on the king hub as it was also used for trials for a while. My only issue with the king hub wheel is that my rim will need to be smoothed as its currently heavily ground to work with hydraulic rim brakes for instant lockup thats required for trials riding.

mtbr member
    get a new rim. does the SS have V-brakes?
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt
    get a new rim. does the SS have V-brakes?
    Indeed. It is disc front, V-brake back. I suppose i could get a six pack and some spokes/nipples and just rebuild it some night but Im trying to avoid having to do much more work......

Members who have read this thread: 0