First race tomorrow...doing on my SS...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First race tomorrow...doing on my SS...

I got talked into entering a race tomorrow and since my geared bike is in pieces, I'll be doing it on the SS. Should be a good time. I think the beginner loop is like 8 miles. I'm just hoping the new slider bolts hold better than the stock ones or it might be a long lap. This is my very fist ever and kinda nervous about it but very excited too.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

Hammer Nutrition
    If you are worried about something new on the bike give it a good shakedown prior to know it is working well and calm any fears. Then at the race it's all you and the bike, no worries.
    Plus, you'll probably find that you prefer racing your SS after this in future events
    Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-BlogUpdated when I feel like it or when I get mail

mtbr member
    Racing single speed is more fun...You kind of feel like an underdog riding with geared bikes, I've got a few cheers of "GO SINGLE SPEEDER!" when I've raced.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrampBredo View Post
    Racing single speed is more fun...You kind of feel like an underdog riding with geared bikes, I've got a few cheers of "GO SINGLE SPEEDER!" when I've raced.
    or "you've only got one gear, USE IT!" (cause I'm slow!)

mtbr member
    Good luck in the race! SHould be fun!
    2013 Specialized P 26 AM green/purple. Nuff said

Giant Faith

mtbr member
    Good luck Nubster ... ride it like you stole it

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Wow...I certainly was not prepared. First of all, the bike broke down on me right out of the gate. Drop out stripped out and I lost all tension on the chain, not to mention the wheel was twisted. Had to go back to the staging area and replace a drop out, after all ready replacing one before the race started. Those stock drop outs from Misfit Psycles are absolute garbage. Both stripped out in a matter of an hour. So, back in the race after the pit stop and basically the trails just kicked my ass. Lots of climbing and technical rock gardens that I just wasn't ready for. Both in skill and fitness level. I finished my race as a beginner and reflected on the whole ordeal. Except for the handful of times I was off the bike on the side of the trail at the top of a climb gasping for air 99% sure I was getting carted off the mountain by an emergency crew, I had a BLAST!!!!! I definitely don't think I am ready to race with a SS, barely ready even if at all to race period. But it was a great time and I look forward to the next on in a couple weeks. I will say this, there were some guys in the SS class, which is an expert level class, that were just crazy fast. It blew my mind how fast and strong they rode and doing so while riding 3 times the distance I had to ride as a beginner. Certainly gave me a whole new level of appreciation for SS'ers.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

AZ
    banned
    Welcome to the dark side. Props for hangin in there and finishing.

Teen Wolf
    oh man you killed it.

mtbr member
    haha...it almost killed ME!!!!

mtbr member
    Usually my only goal is to finish, so nice work. Also, the best way to be a better racer is to ride more. Sounds like a perfect excuse to get out on the bike.

mtbr member
    Heck yeah. Plans for tomorrow definitely include some dirt under my wheels. Took off the last couple to recover, it was really that bad. I think that it was just a combo of things, not being ready, out of shape, crazy heat and humidity, nerves, broken bike that had my all jacked up...so hopefully kinda getting the first one out of the way, next race maybe will go a little better. I know the terrain should be better at least, much less climbing though more technical stuff, so I guess it's a trade off. Still had fun, plan to do more, and definitely will be riding more. Even thinking about looking at another road bike to help with training.

Robtre
    Aside from the bike malfunctions, sounds like my two first races I did this spring. Singlespeeders are fast. I am a clydesdale 6'5" 225 and the average SS racer I raced with were 5'10" 165lbs. Props for finishing though. I wont race any race that doesn't have a clydesdale category.

mtbr member
    The race series I am in has a clydesdale division but it's a sports level division and the clydes are the typical 201 pound clyde rather than what I feel a true clyde should be. They need a fat out of shape division IMO...lol

OTB Pro
    I was just scanning through the forums like always and realized that I'm pretty certain I talked to you right before the race started. Sucks you had some malfunctiions. I also felt as if I was dying in that heat but met my goal of at least finishing. I'll most likely be seeing you in Davis if you decide to race that one also.

mtbr member
    Are you the guy from WVU?

Yeah, I'll be there in Davis. I think I have a deathwish...lol...I am pre-riding that course though to see if it's SS suitable or if I need to get my geared bike bike in shape to ride. Looking forward to it though.

OTB Pro
    Yea man that's me. I guess it just depends on what trails they run for the course if its SS suitable or not. Its a death wish either way with all of those rocks. haha

**** yeah nubbles! You better ride that thing at Davis. I've never ridden there but I mean, how hard can rocks be? My usual stratagem with rock gardens is to haul ass and hope I don't hit a pointy one before I get to the other side. Congrats on finishing your race; I know all about those jerk-bag fast SS dudes. I will never podium in my local races because all the SS dudes around here are around 2+ min faster than me; I'm slow as hell. One dude has the nickname Quadzilla, how intimidating does that sound?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meyer378 View Post
    Yea man that's me. I guess it just depends on what trails they run for the course if its SS suitable or not. Its a death wish either way with all of those rocks. haha
    No kiddin. Supposedly the beginner loop has little to no climbing but is pretty technical. I plan to go up this coming week to check it out. I'll post up what I find.

Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    **** yeah nubbles! You better ride that thing at Davis. I've never ridden there but I mean, how hard can rocks be? My usual stratagem with rock gardens is to haul ass and hope I don't hit a pointy one before I get to the other side. Congrats on finishing your race; I know all about those jerk-bag fast SS dudes. I will never podium in my local races because all the SS dudes around here are around 2+ min faster than me; I'm slow as hell. One dude has the nickname Quadzilla, how intimidating does that sound?
    haha...Quadzilla, that's awesome!

Yeah, these guys are really fast. I want to try to see how they did overall at the last race. My understanding is a couple of them generally finish routinely top 10 and even top 5 overall, and that's out of 75+ racers. Even though I know I'll never match them, it's nice to see that SS'ers can kick some ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    My understanding is a couple of them generally finish routinely top 10 and even top 5 overall.
    One thing to remember is that the work required to get you and your bike over a course is the same whether youíre riding SS or gears. When Iím climbing next to gearies thatís what I tell myself: It may feel like Iím burning way more energy, but Iím not.

Now there is some interesting coffeehouse discussion to be had about how gears allow your body to use its energy more efficiently, and about lactate thresholds, and about the work required to support your body weight if you are standing while a gearie is sitting, but my general thought is that give or take a little bit, itís the same work to be performed.

And if your SS weighs less than a geared bike, you win :-)

mtbr member
    You guys on the single speeds kill it out there. I've always been impressed with what you can do with one gear.
    Some day I'm going to try one.

Dive Bomber
    I am planning to race next saturday-sunday, I don't know the track yet since it's out of my town.
    It's XC race not uphill race which is my expertise but wish me luck.

I am currently training or should I say sparring using my steel bike with any fast rider I can find mostly they're roadies, to build both strength and confidence. I already train to walking and running for short steep climb.

Not my first race to be exactly will be the 4th race since I begin to ride 2 years ago and as usual I already prepared to get left behind on the start and pass through the slower ones.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good luck man, don't over think it. Just pedal.

Kicker of Elves
    When did single speed racing get serious? Not directing this at anyone here particularly but I thought we were all supposed to drink beer and stuff before the race to help with our hangovers. The last race I entered I actually saw a guy drinking something that resembled...Cytomax (gasp), all the guys in my race had shaved legs were wearing...get this...fancy clothes.

And yep, they smoked me.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Winning is fun too! You should try it sometime
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I'm thinking about winning my next race, just for the hell of it. I haven't decided yet thought. I'll either win or come in last, just depends on my mood that day.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Envisioning the victory is the first step!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Dive Bomber
    Okay, I've tried the track which is dirt narrow single track and not my expertise at all. Still fun with my DJ frame zero travel, a pair of 2.25 Ardent and my 700mm handlebar wich might hit trees and brick walls LOL.

I should say hardpack to loose if it's too dry become sandy and hope it's not gonna rain tomorrow because it's gonna slippery muddy.

Mostly flat and technical stuffs with some roller coaster down and up a typical steep wall climb 30-40 degree.
    AND the bad news is I hurt my leg while practice on steep short descend with curvy turn - now my right leg below the knee hurts because I hit the frame and crank/pedal when I fall. Hit my bone but no bruise and few scratches.

But fear not, I still doing the race stand and hammer all the way IF the track is dry - if it's wet I am gonna sleep.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    I hope to ride my first race on my SS in August. I have no race experience to advise from, But have ridden enough on busy trails to know NOT to get behind anyone on an uphill.

Dive Bomber
    I've done the race master A age 30-39 I am 33 and got place 31st from 60 riders, I am having fun.

The distance is around 4.7KM per lap and the race is 3 laps.
    It's true how annoying to ride behind gears especially on singletrack if they slooow and doesn't understand to give way. I got exhausted from the 1st lap because this lame rider killing my momentum but luck is on my side I can pass him and in the steep wall like climb I got stuck and have to pause pedaling and shift to wall running which cause the cleat riders behind me falls LOL.

I use toeclip and expert on walk or run on track, so I could leave them right away. In the end it's only two riders behind me who finished the race. My bike setting and tire pressure is perfect since I use rigid.

Now my lower back is hurt from stand hammering and push the bike LOL.
    Last edited by jackspade; 07-15-2012 at 02:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GrampBredo View Post
    After the feeling of achievement when you finish the race, the above and passing a geared bike tie for a close second.

Members who have read this thread: 0