First post First SS- Mtbr.com
    Monster Mash
    Oct 2009

First post First SS

Hi All,

Been reading the SS forum for some time now and I decided to take the plunge.

I converted my 2008 rockhopper to Single Speed mode. This was my very first bike that introduced me into riding AND it was the first time I really did some mechanic work on my bike.
    " width="549">

It is just a stock rockhopper with the single speed kit. Thanks, Chuck @ bobcat for help with the chain hell i could not figure out.

I took my bike out for its first ride today, and in all honesty I think it was the best ride I have ever been on. Was it difficult? YES. Was it humbling? YES. But, f*ckin A it was fun.

Some things I noticed:
    Don't sit and try to spin, you will just suffer.
    Stand up and smash those pedals and jerk those handlebars.
    I could not climb the very steep hills I am usually able to spin up with gears. I would just spin my back tire or come to a complete stop and not be able to pedal. Is this a strength/skill issue that will be improved with more experience?
    I was able to drink more beer after I finished my ride.

Thanks SS forum for all the info I have found here and maybe I will see some of you out on the trail.

Johnnapp

mtbr member
    Yes, you will get stronger and be able to make those climbs if you keep at it. And it is a great feeling of accomplishment when you do.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life
    Don't worry: you will get stronger, and develop new skills.
    Just make sure to take it slowly. Let your body adapt to the new demands you place on it.

openwound
    Like the others have said, you'll get stronger. Respect your knees. No shame in walking when you have to. I use those sections as the gauge of my strength. It really does feel good when i can clean them...
    Change your cog size if you're just getting blown out too easily. Work on maintaining momentum. I know it's a preference thing, but you might consider getting clipless pedals.

Members who have read this thread: 0