first mtb season - need ss buying advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016

first mtb season - need ss buying advice

yo,
    halfway through my first season on the dirt and i have been drawn the ss - my mind isnt right and this seems like my kind of fun.

just curious which direction you would go if you were new. i say i only train on it - but i know i will eventually race it.

i can get deals on trek, cannondale, ibis, yeti, and scott. ive searched around and it appears the pivot les and giant xtc are popular ss options. not opposed to bikes i cant get deals on. i really like the idea of different wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    In my experience if you are running a rigid set up you cannot beat a 29+. Something like a carver gnarvester. It really is that big of a deal that I would not consider a SS rigid that won't fit 29+, at least in the front.

27.5+ might be good but I have no experiemce with it.

mtbr member
    Pivot Les is the best SS carbon hardtail bike on the market. It can be argued that it's expensive but my first statement cannot. Not sure the brands you mentioned above have SS bikes to be honest (Trek has the Stache which is god awful ugly)

Everyone I know that tried 27+ said it was bouncy and made it slower and switched back to 29" tires.

The Giant is a decent fast bike, great price, but the dropout system is kinda lame. After a few rides the adjuster doesn't turn because of sand/dirt. It's just clunky compared to the Pivot.

I'd run 29" tires with a 120mm Fox 34.

Just my 5cents.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    i just mentioned the other brands because i got a deal, but honestly couldnt figure out if they had easy ss conversions. from what i gathered, i should consider a frame that has a decent tension system specifically for ss - which all i could find is pivot les and giant.

i dunno if i am on the ss rigid yet. honestly dont know if i ever will be due to some hand issues.

i rode the stache 29+ before i bought my current bike and hated the bouncy feeling. i actually wanted to buy that bike so bad going into that shop but just couldnt. so i suspect i might not like the 27.5+ but i love the fact i can play around with that option.

Rides all the bikes!
    Might sound pedantic, but you didn't specify full suspension, HT, or rigid. I have seen all three raced SS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

first mtb season - need ss buying advice

not at all sidewalk. i am not ready for the rigid yet.

i really dont know much. did not know fs was even a viable option? i learned the pivot 429 could be converted - but does that mean one 'should'? not that i want to follow what everyone else is doing, but is there a reason i see a lot of ht with shorter travel forks? to be fair, i am new, have only done a handful of races, and ss is a small population.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have not kept up with it, but I thought there were some steel framed 29ers like Nimble 9 or Honzo that had droputs for SS. These might be heavier than you would like if you intend to race them eventually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Yep, Honzo St and Nimble 9 are more aggressive options that are definitely singlespeed friendly. Lots of fun but not at all lightweight. There is a Honzo in Ti though if fun and light are what you're after.

mtbr member
    Converting a non-SS bike in my opinion defeats the purpose of having a SS bike. Adding a tensioner creates an additional component that can break. Also, you now add resistance to your chain-line so you don't get that true instant power feel when stomping on the pedals. The BB conversions are sketchy and if the bikes arn't meant for it they can cause stress in different areas than intended - depending on frame design.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    i appreciate the advice! there is a pivot les demo at a local shop that i am going to ride this week. i really hope i enjoy the demo as much as i like the bike on paper.

thanks again!

mtbr member
    Pivot Les - best SS bike you can get. Try to find a used carbon 2015-16 or 17 as they can be expensive new. Add some light carbon wheels and you are in heaven. Great geometry, dropouts and awesome frame.

Forget tensioners, EBB, forget B+ with singlespped you want 29" wheels and 2.2-2.35 tires to keep the speed and momentum up to make the climbs. 100 or 120 on front fork is all you need

I run mine 34 x 19

mtbr member
    Great idea! Always best to ride before you buy! Good luck.

mtbr member
    34x19! Ouch! I see you are in the Cape.. Good for out there.. I'm in Western MA (Batch st. / Facing Rock / Earls) and I run 34x22. It's pretty punchy with a ton of technical stuff - the 22 is good for those 4-5 hour rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    In my experience, possibly the best thing I did for my ss build.was the instant engage Onyx hubs. I haven't ridden anything else since I had those wheels built can't imagine riding anything else. If you can afford it, I'd build on those.

Additionally, I have really enjoy riding an AB oval. Not sure how that would work in racing, but I like it for my everyday riding.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    i never thought about the hubs and prob was just gonna roll with dt swiss hubs and change the ratchet system. what you say makes sense and certainly something to consider!

mtbr member
    I run an Industry 9 hub - and yes the rear wheel in my opinion is the most important part of the build.

I also run an oval ring.. Just because all the cool kids do

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    wouldn't discount EBB SS's - never have a problem with them easy to swap gearing etc. I run the Specialized EBB and it is trouble free.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a Niner ROS (currently geared) but was SS. Super comfy, and I am a fan of the EBB. REALLY jonesing for the new SIR just released though. I like steel and Ti, not a big fan of carbon, so I don't follow those.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I would highly recommend the IBIS Tranny 29er.

DFMBA.org
    Salsa Timberjack Ti and build it up or the Timberjack NX1 and strip the cassette, R/D, and change the front chairing. The whole bike is $999. Check with your local dealers about who can get Salsa.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Easy decision on the ones you can get deal on... Ibis Tranny. I'd put the ibis on par with the pivot. The pivot is just more common. I was an ebb hater until I tried niner rdo with the ebb2.. it is a good setup. To me if you want light carbon race ss bike then go with pivot, ibis, or niner. Maybe even giant xtc. I haven't had any experience with the giant but may give it a go next season since I can get pro deal on them.