First Frame build + injury report- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First Frame build + injury report

I'll start by saying this is mostly frame building material but its going to be SS and I like this board better(mods please relocate if necessary).

In early September I managed to separate my shoulder(3rd degree) playing pick-up hockey with my roommate and his teammates. Needless to say its been an incredibly lazy semester and i have been very much deprived of any biking up until the last few weeks where ive managed to ride to campus and around the neighborhood. And to add to it, in August i had purchased a diamondback podium 3 (which actually turned out to be a pretty nice riding bike for an easy $800, but thats another topic) which ive only had the chance to put about 60 miles on .

A few months before that I met fellow SSer on my local trail, and it turned out that he lived right down the street from me and has a frame building setup in his garage. So this winter I'll be fillet brazing my first bike frame (since i wont be riding )

It'll pretty much be a mimic of my current frame(Trek/GF Marlin SS) since im comfy on it. It'll have a 70.3ish head angle with treks 51mm offset fork, 16.75 chainstays with enough clearance for 2.35's

Tubes im using 29er Tubeset 35 X 969 DT :: TUBE SETS :: Nova Cycles Supply Inc.

Hopefully it turns out lighter than my current frame. I'll definitely be posting updates as progress occurs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Frame build + injury report-2012-09-06_10-46-25_511.jpg  

First Frame build + injury report-328415_10150960579147610_1546329059_o.jpg  

First Frame build + injury report-322407_10150960579502610_1351898317_o.jpg  

First Frame build + injury report-2012-11-28_21-55-13_411.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Good luck with the frame build. You may want to take it over to the framebuilding forum.
    Frame Building - Mtbr Forums

Overall the NOVA tubeset is very nice but you will have major trouble trying to Fillet Braze the NOVA stays to handle wide tires with super short stays. Other then that the build will be fine and the NOVA tubes are very light. Just make sure you don't overheat them. You may want to order a thicker headtube because the one NOVA supplies is a little thinner then you will want.

In terms of tube selection you may also want to check out Henry James. He has True Temper tubes with good selection so you can choose the exact tubes you need for your build.
    Henry James

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. Yea i did order a separate headtube and the tire measurement i took was with the axle slammed in the track drops so im thinkin ill have a little play in there

Members who have read this thread: 0