First Fixie Fix- Mtbr.com

Thread: First Fixie Fix

King Pin

... and if we just ... First Fixie Fix

Commuted to work this morning on my new Surly 1X1 fixie. Quite concerned during this maiden voyage, as I used the front brake ALOT on the downhill (paved) sections.

Coming home, took the long route, and started to play with GENTLE back-pressure on the pedals. It works! Able to slow myself by applying just a bit of resistance to the rotating cranks, even on moderate downhills...didn't have to use the brake....much.

Took the last few mile foray into the forest, and the world of dirt...and possibly hurt. No problems whatsoever on the rolling singletrack/fireroads. I'm already hooked, and starting to get the hang of it! Even at speed, a good backwards "stomp" on the strong side crankarm has the back end sliding just a bit, and slows me down very efficiently. Add some use of the front brake...and we have a winner!

32/16 is a good starting point, I'm thinking, although I use 32/18 or 19 exclusively on the Sofa King. Some of the downhill sections leave me wanting for a MUCH taller gear at times...oh well. Still in the experimental stages.

Thanks to all who replied to my previous post! A new era in my cycling repertoire has begun today!! I'm stoked...can you tell??!

(note to self....adjusting shorts and EVERYTHING else must be done whilst still pedalling, or the resulting "launch" may occur! That back wheel comes up quick!)

there is no spoon

Ride On

Have a great time. See you later this summer.

Rudi
    Don't worship the pain.

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Commuted to work this morning on my new Surly 1X1 fixie. Quite concerned during this maiden voyage, as I used the front brake ALOT on the downhill (paved) sections.

Coming home, took the long route, and started to play with GENTLE back-pressure on the pedals. It works! Able to slow myself by applying just a bit of resistance to the rotating cranks, even on moderate downhills...didn't have to use the brake....much.

Took the last few mile foray into the forest, and the world of dirt...and possibly hurt. No problems whatsoever on the rolling singletrack/fireroads. I'm already hooked, and starting to get the hang of it! Even at speed, a good backwards "stomp" on the strong side crankarm has the back end sliding just a bit, and slows me down very efficiently. Add some use of the front brake...and we have a winner!

32/16 is a good starting point, I'm thinking, although I use 32/18 or 19 exclusively on the Sofa King. Some of the downhill sections leave me wanting for a MUCH taller gear at times...oh well. Still in the experimental stages.

Thanks to all who replied to my previous post! A new era in my cycling repertoire has begun today!! I'm stoked...can you tell??!

(note to self....adjusting shorts and EVERYTHING else must be done whilst still pedalling, or the resulting "launch" may occur! That back wheel comes up quick!)
    Its great you have discovered fixed gear......the best thing I have ever done on a bike

I find running a slightly higher gear helps, I have 36:17 on at the moment for all round off-road and road commutes. With a good spin 30mph is do-able and off-road it does not feel a lot harder than 36:18. If you live somewhere really flat, 36:16 is a good gear (I used this in the rolling singletrack at Thetford, UK.....flat as a pnacake!)

Enjoy

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

King Pin

Bonking ... not feelin' well Whaz flat?

Exactly the problem up here in Northern Arizona....nothing is flat! Neither paved roads nor dirt trails.

Still in the experimental stages. 32/16 is too low for alot of road stuff...yet still too tough for ME on most of the trails. I'm working on that. Plenty of road (commuting) miles and gently increasing my offroad mileage should have me in screamin' good shape on this fixie in short order....or so seems that way after just a few days!

I'm hooked, fixie is WAY hard and WAY too much fun at the same time!

hispanic mechanic

Glad to hear you had fun!

Yeah, It's tougher in the sense that you can't just relax on the downs, and you have to be maintaining momentum. But I think it's a great way to keep the learning process going. I don't think I'll be doing any Rudy-esque 24 hour action on the fixie any time soon, but one never knows...
    As far as the gearing goes, you've got to try some different stuff. The taller gear seems pretty brutal at first, and there's stuff that I just can't ride, but it helps on the way down. Play around with it- besides, I think there's someone in the Tucson area who knows something about off-road fixies. Maybe you can go down there and pick his brain!

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

King Pin

Upset

There-in lies the problem! Made the mistake of allowing that "someone" to share my home during the Whiskey Race up here last month. And pick his brain I did!

Now I'm fixie-obsessed!

Rudy is an incredible person, and has helped reawaken my cycling passion. He kinda rubs off on ya.....

Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    Yeah, It's tougher in the sense that you can't just relax on the downs, and you have to be maintaining momentum. But I think it's a great way to keep the learning process going. I don't think I'll be doing any Rudy-esque 24 hour action on the fixie any time soon, but one never knows...
    As far as the gearing goes, you've got to try some different stuff. The taller gear seems pretty brutal at first, and there's stuff that I just can't ride, but it helps on the way down. Play around with it- besides, I think there's someone in the Tucson area who knows something about off-road fixies. Maybe you can go down there and pick his brain!

the los