first fixed cross race report- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

first fixed cross race report

wooo-hoo I finally did it, I raced the first cross race at sSeatac today south of seattle. Last week I even wacked off the right lever blade of my cheapo diacomp road lever, It just made noise without a rear brake anyways.
    The race was on a sandy jungle cross course, with not too much open road, perfect for a single or fixed gear set up. I found that running a 39/18 fixed I could ride through more sandy sections then I probably could have in the same gear with a FW, cause of the added traction. It was really hard, no real rest or possibility to coast on the road section (duh), but I finished, didn't get last place, or lapped, and I also am pretty sure I did 6 laps instead of 5, I never heard the bell as I went past the finish line, no announcer, and I finished in 59minutes and change, when I should have been done closer to 45minutes, and the next group was just about to start when I got to the finishline. Oh well the rest of the races will be better and probably also have an announcer and a bell ringer with a better resume. How the heck do they expect me to count to five when I am ridding fixed on a cross race??
    I guess I'll check the result hopefully tomorrow and see how I did in the 9deep ss catagore.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Were dismounts as much of a b!tch as it seems like they'd be? A fixed cross bike sounds like it would be fun to ride - but scary to race, congrats on your feat.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! dismounts-

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Were dismounts as much of a b!tch as it seems like they'd be? A fixed cross bike sounds like it would be fun to ride - but scary to race, congrats on your feat.
    I had been ridding the cross check most of the summer fixed, though not as much as I should, but the last couple of weeks I actually got up the curage to try dismounts. Last friday I even brought the bike and 2 pipe barriers to work and practiced in a nearby park after work for an hour or more. Found out I could dismount at up to about 14mph. Most of the dismounts in yesterdays race were at lower speeds though, jump off for a sand pit, jump off for a big sandy hill and the one set a barriers was too close to a corner to dismount at that much speed, I would have prefered it to have been further away from the corner, so it wouldn't have been so awkward. I unclip the right foot, bring it back around the back, then unclip the left and jump off the back as the left foot comes to the 12o'clock position.

Cracker-magnon
    Sweet, I wanted to come over and do some of the cross races in the Seattle area, but this busted hand has put a damper on things for a while... Where can I find out some more info on the series that runs over there. I know the fixie crosscheck wants to be raced... gotta see if I can find something in Yakima, I know they used to run a small series there as well.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

... and if we just ... marrymoor velodrome web site

Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    Sweet, I wanted to come over and do some of the cross races in the Seattle area, but this busted hand has put a damper on things for a while... Where can I find out some more info on the series that runs over there. I know the fixie crosscheck wants to be raced... gotta see if I can find something in Yakima, I know they used to run a small series there as well.
    Check out the marrymoor velodrome website. click on the cross link then you can find directions and the schedule and times. The starcrossed race at the velodrome is oct first, saturday evening, beer garden, huge crowd, it's going to rawk!! Not usually a very technicial course, but usually one or two small runups, up the back side of the the banked corners, with a barrier at the bottom, and one set of barriers of course by the beer garden in the infield, lots of sharp fast corners on grass. Practice your dismounts or throw on a FW.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice job...

my first CX race of the year will be in about 3 weeks. I'm jonesing, but I got some work to do that's for sure a bit too much fun the last month.

Glad you got the dismount mastered. I do have a concern on racing a fixe in a cx race, unless you're off the back, if I was in a pack with you I'd be a bit tentative and scared to ride around or near you in fear of you and or your bike taking me out. With some of the guys I race with I know that's probably just as likely with freewheeled bikes too! Still would make me leery, not as leery as you I'm sure. I'm just picturing a crank turning dismount at 15+ miles an hour...and the words "oh sh!t" keep coming to mind. Good luck in your cross races this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Don't be a wuss, just don't stop pedaling

Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    my first CX race of the year will be in about 3 weeks. I'm jonesing, but I got some work to do that's for sure a bit too much fun the last month.

Glad you got the dismount mastered. I do have a concern on racing a fixe in a cx race, unless you're off the back, if I was in a pack with you I'd be a bit tentative and scared to ride around or near you in fear of you and or your bike taking me out. With some of the guys I race with I know that's probably just as likely with freewheeled bikes too! Still would make me leery, not as leery as you I'm sure. I'm just picturing a crank turning dismount at 15+ miles an hour...and the words "oh sh!t" keep coming to mind. Good luck in your cross races this year.
    Actually, most other racers are just amazed that someone would try cross fixed, one of the other single speeders after he noticed my fixed setup, waiting at the starting line said "you must have mad skills" I also think that most people even considering racing cross fixed, would not be the type of people to get sketchey, and freaked in a group of racers. YOu do need to have a front brake to help you stop and keep your speed in check. On one of the slight downhill trails with bumps I would ride lightly on the seat, with my arms somewhat relaxed, but ready to use a little brake if I went too fast, and as smooth of a spin as possible.
    Also the series over here near Seattle, changed the race scedule, so now it will be possible to ride SS, or fixed at 11:30, and then if you are under 35 and have a geared bike ride with the regular geared b cross class at 1:30. I'm not sure if I'll feel good enough to try to double up at a cross race, but it would probably be more draining then just about anything. Maybe I could do it for free if I'm a freak enough to try. 45 or so minutes from 11:30 would be 12:15, so you would have 1hr 15minutes to try to recover, you wouldn't need a warm up for the regular b race.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lol!

I've face planted just running my SS, I'd probably impale myself with a fixie. Don't doubt your skills, just as a racer if I saw you or someone else I'd be watching you for sure....guess that could be an advantage...hmmmm?

That's sweet that you can double up, I say do it! I'm racing in two series this year. The Sacto Series and the Piliciritos (sp?) Series (both in Norcal). Sacto has no SS class but the Piliciritos has an SS class that races with the A's. I have thoughts of doing both the Master's A's earlier and than lining up immediately after that for the SS. Sure to churn the legs and my lungs to mush.