First build 29er SS help.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

First build 29er SS help.

I have been interested in building a SS for awhile but I am looking for a little help. This would be my first build so I am fairly inexperienced. I live in central FL and ride pretty much all technical trails. I am 5'7 160lbs and have ~29.5-30in inseam.

I have been interested in some of the chinese carbon parts such as Frame, Handle Bars, and Seat Post. I am trying to keep the build as budget as possible and I don't need to have crazy high-end components. Not looking to ride rigid so a basic front fork will do. Things I don't know much about are Wheelsets, Cranksets, and Bottom Brackets. I have nothing against buying from wholesale websites and getting bargins. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Rolling weight plays an important role IMHO. I'm having ZTR Crest on my rigid SS and it's holding up so far. If you ride rough maybe the new Arch EX then?

You say you ride tech terrains, in which for me means one would require to racheting the pedals to clear obstacles. Therefore a higher engagement hub would be great. I'm running a 36pt hub and it seems sufficient for me, but the other day I tested my friend's bike with 60pts engagements and it does makes a difference.

I'd be wary of buying china carbons parts besides from the frame which gets pretty good review here in MTBR. I saw a few broken china carbon bars and fork steerer.

As for cranks, cheap, durable and relatively light would be SLX hands down. It's just a 1~5gms heavier than the much more expensive XT. Brakes is the same.

mtbr member
    Wheels - something like Hope Pro 2 EVOs (relatively cheap for a solid hub, 48 POE) laced to WTB Frequency i23s.

Cranks - Shimano SLX (this would include the BB).

Other things - cog/chainring I would recommend Surly. Maybe not the lightest, being stainless, but will last a long time.

Brakes - SLX.

Fork - X-Fusion Slide, Manitou Tower Pro, Magura TS6, among others.

The rest is pretty much personal preference. There is plenty of good, mid-range stuff out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Only the SS version of the HOPE EVO is 48pts with it's offset pawls. The normal version is 24pts.

mtbr member
    I know. And since the OP is posting in the SS forum, is it an unreasonable to assume that he is wanting a SS wheelset?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm just highlighting the differences for the OP since he says he says he didn't know much bout wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Fair call.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the fast replies. I like the SLX crankset and X-Fusion Slide Forks they seem reasonably priced for a quality product. The wheels are a little to pricey for me would be trying to go a little cheaper. And I might want to go cheaper on the brakes too, possibly some Avid Elixers. Hell maybe just skip the front brakes all together =p

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have Hope Pro2 EVO SS laced with DT Revolutions (2.0/1.5) and stans crests and they are light and awesome. I run fast traks and at 180lbs, really push it and have yet to have a problem, ding or dent in them.

I run elixir CR's and aside from needed to top them off and bleed every 3 months or so (averaging about 750 or more miles a month) and am happy with their performance for the price.

I run phil wood BB with a white ind eno crankset. Light and efficient, plus looks good. Not the cheapest, but damned reliable.

I got no name carbon chinese bars and have ridden them without issue over multiple 12hr races and daily rides. I would definitely buy them again.

Here's my thread on the build. http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/hot-not-776610.html My total build cost was about $1300 for everything and kept it in the 22lbs range. However I shopped like crazy over 3-4 months to find deals and best prices.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    FWIW on my other SS I have the formula SS hubs (I think they are rebranded as redline, origin 8 and a few other companies) which are cheaper, laced to WTB dual duty rims and while much heavier than my hope/stans, are reliable and tough. I think I paid around $100 for that wheelset, slightly used with tubes and tires and ran them for about 3500 miles over the course of 18 months and they held up great.

Members who have read this thread: 0