Firecracker 50- Mtbr.com

Thread: Firecracker 50

the cool nerd

Firecracker 50

Is anyone here racing the Firecracker SS? I've just completed my first SS race at Crested Butte, and it hurt but it was fun. Last year I did the Firecracker with gears, so I know what a tough course it is, but I see that this year they have a SS category, and it's tweakin' my head. How do you decide when your strong enough to do such a demanding race on SS. It has a lot of climbing 11,500, most of it above 10000 feet, and very long, sustained climbs, but I think that the descents may hurt more, especially on a SS..

Don't really know where this is going, just looking for other crazy peoples' opinions.

scott

SS Chimp
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    Is anyone here racing the Firecracker SS? I've just completed my first SS race at Crested Butte, and it hurt but it was fun. Last year I did the Firecracker with gears, so I know what a tough course it is, but I see that this year they have a SS category, and it's tweakin' my head. How do you decide when your strong enough to do such a demanding race on SS. It has a lot of climbing 11,500, most of it above 10000 feet, and very long, sustained climbs, but I think that the descents may hurt more, especially on a SS..

Don't really know where this is going, just looking for other crazy peoples' opinions.

scott
    slap a bit eaiser gear on and do it. just got back from doing the SS butte race also and we are headed to breck for the 50 next weekend. won't actually be racing as i will be watching the dogs and my wife will be racing but if i could i would be all over the SS category.