"finished" my SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

"finished" my SS

well for now. im on a TIGHT budget so i converted my geared bike to a SS.

took apart my cassette and used the spacers from that cassette and one other to get a straight chainline! i used the 18t and also the 13t so i can change gears for when i ride to school i used an old ghetto shimano SIS rear derailleur with the jockey pulley removed as a chain tensioner.

i took off my small chainring and am just using my large and middle chain ring (32t) untill i get shorter chainring bolts or fabricate some washers/spacers.

i just bought a PC-1 chain ($14)and some used Avid SD-7 ($7) brake levers. im loving the feel and simplicity of the SS.

i may go rigid later to save weight. currently its 26lbs (digital bathroom scale, subtracted my weight from my weight+bike in hand ) i rode one day with my suspension locked and it wasnt too bad.

i may go disc or just upgrade my v-brakes. my v-brakes grab decent but when i grab hard i can feel the brakes arms flexing.

that and im looking to upgrade my cranks.

ill post pics some time soon.

but for now, ill ride it till it breaks i was gonna take it out tomorrow morning for a ride but imma surf instead COWABUngA!
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

mtbr member
    Nice!

Enjoy Fella,

PF

EXCUSES ARE THE NAILS IN THE COFFIN OF FAILURE.

bikexor
    Try using the bolts from the granny ring for your 32t ring... sometimes they are shorter than the bolts that hold both big and mid rings. I've found I can usually make do with those... also, washers are insanely cheap at the hardware store, no fabrication necessary. I bet you can get every washer you need for less than the change in your ashtray.

DW
    Little Shred Riding Hood

!Vamos, flaco!
    Is a bike ever really "finished?"
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    Never!!!

P

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    thats why i said "finished". lol

yeh, i was going to just buy some washers at the hardware store and then shape them if the outer diameter gets in the way of things.
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    dang, shoulda went riding today ...surf sucked :P
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

a few pics

here are a few pics no cool shots of it out on the trail yet. ive yet to take it out. been slammed with work (chauffeur).

just picked up and installed a salsa 32t ring and bashguard. now i just need a real tensioner

bike

salsa ring and guard

ghetto tensioner

decent chainline using spacers from 2 cassettes
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    man it is refreshing to click on a "just finished my ss" thread and not poop my pants looking at an elite $2,000-4,000 bike. ride it til it breaks is right!

Oh but don't ride it if it doesn't brake.

and as far as crappy surf, screw you! i'm looking out my window at snow!
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    yeh, i dont got that kinda cash right now. im dying to take it out. i may go tomorrow, but the surf looks good too

its been a beautiful mid 70 deg all week here sorry to rub it in.
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Curious why you bought another 32T chainring (the Salsa)? Was the stock chainring not working out?

I ask because I'm getting ready to do a similar conversion and had planned to just use my middle ring (remove the small and large ring and a put a bashgaurd on).

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    why not go with a magic gear , all you need is a 3 dollar half link and a ruler , I never had the Patience to learn how to measure
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Sup
    man it is refreshing to click on a "just finished my ss" thread and not poop my pants looking at an elite $2,000-4,000 bike

WOW anodizing must make you incontinent

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe
    HAHAHAAHA!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i just wanted a bash ring, the two came together used at a good price so i figured why not stock 32t chainring will work fine... u just need shorter chainring bolts if u are going to just use the 32t and not the larger one or a bash guard....or u can use washers.
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    why not go with a magic gear , all you need is a 3 dollar half link and a ruler , I never had the Patience to learn how to measure
    i was going to do that too but mine is a dingle. im using an 18t and 15t cog. the 15t is for riding to school and on faster stuff at a local trail i ride.
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by derockus
    Try using the bolts from the granny ring for your 32t ring... sometimes they are shorter than the bolts that hold both big and mid rings. I've found I can usually make do with those... also, washers are insanely cheap at the hardware store, no fabrication necessary. I bet you can get every washer you need for less than the change in your ashtray.

DW
    i've been seeing this idea popping up lately, and it confuses me. can someone explain to me how using the bolts from your granny ring allows you to run just a middle ring? the limiting factor on whether or not you can run 1 chainring is not the male part of the bolts, but the female portion. using the granny ring bolts would just mean fewer threads are engaged and the ring is still loose. or am i missing something here?
    I ONLY make weird noises when i ride SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

good question

i was wondering the same thing myself. but i was gonna look at it before asking.
    no chain no gain.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by joshik123
    i was going to do that too but mine is a dingle. im using an 18t and 15t cog. the 15t is for riding to school and on faster stuff at a local trail i ride.
    well if you want to do a dingle right then get a paul melvin:

http://www.paulcomp.com/singlespeed.html

and i would recomend not using those casette cogs, use single speed specific cogs:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...nglespeed.aspx
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe
    man it is refreshing to click on a "just finished my ss" thread and not poop my pants looking at an elite $2,000-4,000 bike

thanks, I just had to look up that word "incontinent" pretty funny
    yeah, ano is so passe, I like black or polished components.

why you sportin purple anodized everything er what?
    <note the purple confusion.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by myself369
    i've been seeing this idea popping up lately, and it confuses me. can someone explain to me how using the bolts from your granny ring allows you to run just a middle ring? the limiting factor on whether or not you can run 1 chainring is not the male part of the bolts, but the female portion. using the granny ring bolts would just mean fewer threads are engaged and the ring is still loose. or am i missing something here?

yeh i believe you are right, i dont think that will work. i didnt try it but in theory it wouldnt because what causes the bolts for being too long are the female ends protruding out of the crank arm spiders and when you tighten the male end of the bolts it tightens down to the max without contacting the crank arm spider and not making a tight fit. so u are correct. thats why i was going to just use some washers from the hardware store but i ended up getting a bashring and ss ring for really cheap. geez, shorter bolts are like $10+, they are just bolts. :P
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

Sup
    [why you sportin purple anodized everything er what?]
    no I just ordered black I9s and am going with silver spokes and nipples
    anodizing just fades in the sun
    I don't like to ride at night so it is not for me

Members who have read this thread: 0