F'ing chain keeps falling off!!!!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

F'ing chain keeps falling off!!!!!!!

OK, first off.....thanks for reading this. I'm fed up w/ this POS. I have added 2 tugernuts to my fetish cycles discipline SS. I tried super stiff cranks and BB as well. Still, when i get to the top of a climb, and im really cranking, the chain slips off. Im only 165 pounds, and im a pretty smooth pedaler.

Im just really frustrated.

I dont have a nutted rear axle because i dont want to carry around a 15mm. QR skewer should work ok w/ 2 tuggernuts, right?

Is the Fetish cycles frame a POS, and its just flexing a lot?

Any others out there with a similar problem?

Thanks

mtbr member

Sounds like something is really amiss there

I just put together a carbon softail single speed, the chain does not line up 100%, but is pretty close. Wasn't even sure if this frame would work well as a single speed. Had a muddy ride on Saturday and a nice dry ride on Sunday and the frame performed flawlessly. If a flexy carbon softtail can work as a single speed, I would say you really need to check your drivetrain to make sure teeth ad chain are not bad first.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by liaudio
    OK, first off.....thanks for reading this. I'm fed up w/ this POS. I have added 2 tugernuts to my fetish cycles discipline SS. I tried super stiff cranks and BB as well. Still, when i get to the top of a climb, and im really cranking, the chain slips off. Im only 165 pounds, and im a pretty smooth pedaler.

I dont have a nutted rear axle because i dont want to carry around a 15mm. QR skewer should work ok w/ 2 tuggernuts, right?

Thanks

mtbr member
    chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline

and also check your chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline

unless you're running a ramped sprocket on the back which even if you fix your chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline chainline will still throw the chain, no matter how much tension you put in it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    man, it sure looks straight.... I'll check once i get home. Thanks.

"Mr. Britannica"
    sometimes a bad freewheel can be the culprit. I had random, occasional chain drop after changing the FW. Tinkered around w/everything, but it didn't go away until I replaced it. Doesn't sound like the problem in your case, but might be worth a look if all else fails.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

drivetrain...

do you happen, by chance, to be using a ramped chainring and/or rear cog? is the chain the right width for your cog/freewheel and front chainring?

and, as mr. on-one said, chainline! it is amazing how a little can mean a lot under all that torque. i am 160 lbs and 6' tall, and have broken spokes out of rear wheels. that said, the wheels were usually over tensioned. there is definitely a cure for this!

the first thing an engineer does when called out to a job site is make sure the damn thing is plugged in and turned on!! start with the simple stuff, and then treat yourself to a cold brew!
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Chain tension?

You've probably already checked into this, but will the chain work with one less link? I have a converted, vertical-dropout single speed and have had to tinker a lot with chain length. Shops that specialize in SS stuff have half-links for smaller adjustments in chain length.
    Another thing no one has brought up yet--are you using a tensioner?

Retro Grouch

The usual suspect...

Quote Originally Posted by liaudio

Thanks
    .. would seem to be your chainring; possibly combined with a chainline issue. I had a chain jump off my track bike once due to poor maintenance (thank the good lord for front brakes). The entire drivetrain is 1/8" and the derialment actually bent the spider and chainring (fortunately it bent back). Assuming there was no apparent movement at the back end with the tuggernauts, then the only thing left would seem be chainring issue and/or a bent spider.

1G1G, Brad

mtbr member

Check spokes

This may sound goofy but check for broken spokes - my last 2 ride i was getting some chain skip. I thought it was the titanium BB but I noticed a broken spoke half way through the ride. By the end of the ride 5 more broke causing enough flex to create ALOT of skipping.

ol'guy who says hi &waves

I had the same problem

Thanks[/QUOTE]

went OTB twice in 10 min. The left side could still slide back on rough trails. I dumped the skewer for a nutted rear axle problem solved. I just carry a very small Cresent(or adjustable) wrench.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Chain keeps coming off!!

What type of rear cog are you running? Does is have holes in it or is it solid?? I was having the same problem with my 04 Unit. Chain line was correct, but on a hill or under a big load chain would come right off. I changed the rear cog to a solid cog and solved the problem. The rear cog was flexing enough to throw the chain. With your super stiff cranks and bottom bracket not flexing, the energy is moved to the weak point which may be your rear cog. Obviously the size of rear cog you are running will make a diffrence also. The bigger the cog, the more it will flex.

Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I will confirm for you it is not the frame flexing. I am running the Discipline, with great luck. I have to speak to the other post - CHAINLINE. The other thing that may help is get a wider chain - if you are running a 9 spd chain, try an 8 spd chain (its a little wider, and provides a little more flexibility in chainline)

Brain

SS Clyde 29er

Try This !

-tighten your chainring bolts
    -check chainline
    -dont use ramped chainring or rear cog
    -clean and lube chain sufficiently
    -use a 8spd chain versus a wide bmx type chain- narrower is better
    -hav sufficient chain tension, not too much not too little: pull up on chain at apex of chain ring, it should not lift above the tooth, midway of so is juuuuust right
    -tighten down crank arm bolts

if none of the above yields satisfactory results, yeaa maybe ur frame is flexing
    -to test for this, place bike in front so ur facing the drive side (right side) of ur bike
    -rt hand on handle bar, left hand on saddle
    -place ur rt foot on ur rt pedal (pedal is in the bottom or 6 oclock position)
    -now apply pressure to pedal, the frame will show how much flex its got goin on (u may wanna up ur tire pressure so it donesnt factor in too much, 100psi or so

unless ur a clyde masher like me (225 lbs w tree trunks for legs) ur probably not flexing the frame, esp on a mtn bike, but i could b wrong

also you may look into running a chain ring protector and/or a chain guide that mounts on the bottom of the seat tube frame. if none of the above works...hmmm...get a good mojo w a lotta good juju in it, and that may improve ur luck, hehehehe

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    OK.....
    here is my setup- 16t rear cassette cog from a shimano 8 speed cassette. Cog is in like new condition, not bent or worn. I'm using aluminum and steel cassette spacers from a few old cassettes and cut PVC pipe to space out the chainline. (which happens to be perfect. If its off, i dont know how the hell im gonna get the line any straighter!) I am using a brand new Deora 8/9 speed hub on a mavic 221 rim. Wheel is true, no proken spokes and spokes are properly tensioned. I have 2 tuggernuts, rear QR skewer, and RaceFace evolve DH cranks and BB. I dont have a singleator or anything like that. I noticed that the chainring was set oblong, so i loosened all the chainring bolts, spun the cranks a bunch, then slowly re-tightened them all.

Before i went for a ride yesterday, i stopped into a shop that knows singlespeeds. He told me i needed a new chain, which i did because my 9speed compatible was a little twisted. I bought a Sram Single Speed chain. He told me "wider is better" I put it on w/ the same amount of links as before.

I made sure that the chain had no slack. I tightened the tuggernuts to right before the point when you can't freely backspin the pedals because of resistance.

OK, im all ready to go for a nice, slightly technical, slightly hilly 20 mile ride.

First banked hill....

Chain falls off the rear cog. F*&% POS!

I tighten up the chain a little more.

Same thing about 3 miles later. "F*&%!"

I tighten it up a little more

Repeat above for the rest of the ride...

I didnt really tighten the chain to the point of where it doesnt backspin freely. I tightened it to where you could back spin the cranks about 1 rotation. But it seemed that it always fell off the rear, and tightening made it fall-off less often.

In frustration, i devised a little concotion on the rear freewheel... Check it out. I havent ridden on it yet. Im hoping it will solve my problems.

Here are some pictures.

****See New Thread****