Finally USAC SS National Championships- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,803

    Finally USAC SS National Championships

    Not that I have a shot but It's nice to see USAC make a change.

    Championship classes
    MEN’S AND WOMEN’S SINGLESPEED EVENTS ADDED TO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP CLASSES

    Pre-registration for the USA Cycling Mountain Bike Marathon National Championships will open at 12:01 a.m. mountain time on Wednesday, February 17.

    The Fourth of July event returns to Breckenridge, Colo. for 2010 where it will once again be held in conjunction with the “Firecracker 50.” Riders wishing to compete in the USA Cycling national championship classes will have a two-week exclusive online registration period from 12:01 a.m. MST on Wednesday, February 17 until 12:01 a.m. MST on Wednesday, March 3.

    The field will again be limited to 750 race plates, and because start spots sold out before pre-registration ended last year, riders that want to compete for a Stars-and-Stripes jersey are strongly encouraged to take advantage of the exclusive registration period.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  2. #2
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    Not that I have a shot but It's nice to see USAC make a change.
    Is this a good thing?

  3. #3
    simple
    Reputation: 69erSycip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    665

    ditto

    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    Is this a good thing?
    Agreed. I think it is lame. I tore up my USAC membership last year. My whole team of 12 dudes did as well.

  4. #4
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,419
    what, you guys dont like mountain biking on fire roads instead of trails that actually test your skills?

  5. #5
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    what, you guys dont like mountain biking on fire roads instead of trails that actually test your skills?
    Oh no - I love me some fire road.... that's why I have a cross bike

    I just wonder if having SS as a sanctioned USAC class is a good thing.

    One of the reasons I started riding/racing SS was to get away from the general douchebaggery that goes on in categorized USAC sanctioned racing.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    Oh no - I love me some fire road.... that's why I have a cross bike

    I just wonder if having SS as a sanctioned USAC class is a good thing.

    One of the reasons I started riding/racing SS was to get away from the general douchebaggery that goes on in categorized USAC sanctioned racing.
    I love the negativity! Why exactly are you so cool as to categorize USAC racing as "general douchebaggery"? I'm not a big fan of them, looking at what has happened to the US Cup, but it looks like they are at least taking one step in the right direction.

    Really, lets hear your rant...

    As I see it no one is making you do it, so why isn't it a good thing? SSWC will always have its own flavor and be the coolest. No one is making you do that either.

    Having a USAC sanctioned race might interest more manufacturers in making SS frames or parts, which I see as a good thing.

  7. #7
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    I have no problem with USAC, I just don't like the idea of a SS class. I think age group and ability level are more than enough.

  8. #8
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    I have no problem with USAC, I just don't like the idea of a SS class. I think age group and ability level are more than enough.
    i dont think i agree. Who wants to be mixed in with a bunch of geared guys for the first steep climb? Or who wants to be stuck in with a bunch of singlespeeders on the first long flat or mild downgrade? Decent difference in riding techniques there for alot of people. Granted lap times might be similar, but where each rider makes up that time is what makes it mix like oil and water. To me, it's about as neccesary as seperating the ability levels, and more neccesary than seperating the 23 year olds from the 33 year olds. I agree with some age grouping, but i think there should be just juniors, regular, and masters. Not this 25-29 BS. If you need to break down the catagories due to excessive size, then i could understand, but really, what's the point if there's only one guy in the 19-24 class or whatever?

    We always started after the pros, and before the expert geared guys when i was racing, and that was great. Barely ever came across a expert gearie sneaking up behind you unless they should be a class higher.

  9. #9
    CB2
    CB2 is offline
    Jam Econo
    Reputation: CB2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,214
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    Who wants to be mixed in with a bunch of geared guys for the first steep climb?
    Works for me.
    Key is get to the climb first

  10. #10
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    i dont think i agree. Who wants to be mixed in with a bunch of geared guys for the first steep climb? Or who wants to be stuck in with a bunch of singlespeeders on the first long flat or mild downgrade? Decent difference in riding techniques there for alot of people. Granted lap times might be similar, but where each rider makes up that time is what makes it mix like oil and water. To me, it's about as neccesary as seperating the ability levels, and more neccesary than seperating the 23 year olds from the 33 year olds. I agree with some age grouping, but i think there should be just juniors, regular, and masters. Not this 25-29 BS. If you need to break down the catagories due to excessive size, then i could understand, but really, what's the point if there's only one guy in the 19-24 class or whatever?

    We always started after the pros, and before the expert geared guys when i was racing, and that was great. Barely ever came across a expert gearie sneaking up behind you unless they should be a class higher.

    That's kind of like saying that they should separate people in to different categories based on riding style. If it's a really technical course, should they further break down the sport and expert classes into those with good tech skills and those without? For me, it sucks more to get stuck behind a dirt roadie (or worse yet, a line of people stuck behind a dirt roadie) when approaching a log crossing or rock garden than it does to get stuck behind someone pushing a granny gear up a climb. What if you're a multispeeder and the multispeeder in front of you doesn't climb nearly as quickly? Should they separate them even further for that? Part of racing is dealing with other racers and their particular strengths and weaknesses.

  11. #11
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
    As I see it no one is making you do it, so why isn't it a good thing? SSWC will always have its own flavor and be the coolest. No one is making you do that either.

    Having a USAC sanctioned race might interest more manufacturers in making SS frames or parts, which I see as a good thing.

    Amen to that.

    As the old quote goes "racing improves the breed" and I think that applies to SS. If USAC can't get it right after a a year (two at the most) then people will vote by virtue of the reduced attendance.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  12. #12
    Not an O2 thief.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    589
    I see Dicky lurking. I'm in.....stars and stripes class or not.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

    Blog this...!

    El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,736
    I think this is a good thing. Whats wrong with additional recognition of the superior atheletes that make up the SS world?
    How cool would it be to get the first SS National Champion jersey? Won't be me, but I know a couple of guys that might be fast enough.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  14. #14
    Up In Smoke
    Reputation: Train Wreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by rsquared28
    I think this is a good thing. Whats wrong with additional recognition of the superior atheletes that make up the SS world?
    How cool would it be to get the first SS National Champion jersey? Won't be me, but I know a couple of guys that might be fast enough.

    Ha, i dig it, my vote is for carl decker and adam craig.

  15. #15
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
    Having a USAC sanctioned race might interest more manufacturers in making SS frames or parts, which I see as a good thing.
    Ummm... so what parts don't you have?

    Front gear - check.
    Back gear - check.
    Chain.....
    Chain?

    CHAIN???

    HOLY CRAP!! Where's my chain?!?!?!

  16. #16
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    That's kind of like saying that they should separate people in to different categories based on riding style. If it's a really technical course, should they further break down the sport and expert classes into those with good tech skills and those without? For me, it sucks more to get stuck behind a dirt roadie (or worse yet, a line of people stuck behind a dirt roadie) when approaching a log crossing or rock garden than it does to get stuck behind someone pushing a granny gear up a climb. What if you're a multispeeder and the multispeeder in front of you doesn't climb nearly as quickly? Should they separate them even further for that? Part of racing is dealing with other racers and their particular strengths and weaknesses.
    That's a bit of a stretch there.
    If you hate being stuck behind dirt roadies so much, maybe you should try the SS class. Seems like the majority are excellent technical riders and many come from a downhill or bmx background.
    There's gotta be some segregation or it's just a cluster**** and no one has a good time.
    There's enough SSers out there to have our own class. As mentioned before by others, it's only going to increase popularity of the sport, and i really don't see anything bad that can come of it.
    Only downside is that the SS class is generally quite a bit tougher than the geared class of the same level (at least when i was racing). It was almost like the top SSers were about the same strength as the geared class above them, and this might be enough to scare a few people back to the geared class.
    But hey, it looks better placing mid pack in the geared class if you're on a SS than placing the same or lower against other singlespeeders, right? You can play the handicap card and say "hey, of course i didn't win, I'm on a SS!"

  17. #17
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Works for me.
    Key is get to the climb first
    Charlie, hard to do when you have a long flat or a mild decent before the first climb. I usually run a 32-18 (26") for most races and i'm more of a masher than a spinner. I dont think i can pedal much faster than 27mph, and that's only for a short time. That's slow enough to get dropped by a bunch of dirt roadies, at least before the first hill.
    Although i've ridden alot in your neck of the woods, i have never raced there, so I'm not sure how the courses are generally set up. But out here, it isnt uncommon for the first mile to be paved or a smooth, flat fire road. Not too fun on a SS.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Works for me.
    Key is get to the climb first
    I was looking into a few races out East this summer. I'm sure this isn't always true but I noticed that many times the SS class ran the sport distance, or fewer laps than CAT1. That would make me run with the age groups too.

    I guess we are lucky out here in California, as we get to run the longer distances, or the same as the respective CAT. Also last year CAT 1 SS started in the first wave with the PROs. There was never any thought of getting to the first climb in front! Also there were never any issues of anyone getting in anther's way.

  19. #19
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    I usually run a 32-18 (26") for most races
    Hah. Funny, but I accidentally ran a 32x16 (16) gear for almost the entire season last year. I couldn't figure out why I was so slow at the beginning of the season, and destroying the competition (for the first hour of the race) at the end of the season.

    Then I actually counted teeth.... I could have SWORN that I had an put an 18t FW on my new wheel.

  20. #20
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
    I was looking into a few races out East this summer. I'm sure this isn't always true but I noticed that many times the SS class ran the sport distance, or fewer laps than CAT1. That would make me run with the age groups too.

    I guess we are lucky out here in California, as we get to run the longer distances, or the same as the respective CAT. Also last year CAT 1 SS started in the first wave with the PROs. There was never any thought of getting to the first climb in front! Also there were never any issues of anyone getting in anther's way.
    yea, when i was racing SS here in CA, we would always start after the pros and before the experts (this was before all this CAT1 bs). Worked out really nice IMO. Almost never saw a geared expert on the trail, except for maybe the very end of the race if he was a complete sandbagger.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    Ummm... so what parts don't you have?

    Front gear - check.
    CORRECT Back gear - check.
    Chain.....
    Chain?

    CHAIN???

    HOLY CRAP!! Where's my chain?!?!?!

    We better amend this list then...

  22. #22
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
    We better amend this list then...
    LOL

    Point for you.

  23. #23
    Category Winner
    Reputation: teamdicky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,046
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w
    I see Dicky lurking. I'm in.....stars and stripes class or not.

    I have no opinions.

    I hate single speeders.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

    I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    982
    It just seems like a big gray area. I'm not sure if there's a right or wrong. The decision of grouping SSers with the geared riders appears to be about riding style based on equipment. Couldn't the same be said for dual suspension vs. hardtail? Or 26" vs. 29"...we could further break it down by disc vs. rim brake. Of course, we'd still have to have the indvidiual groupings of each.....also broken down by age group. I can't wait to be in the age 30-34 29er full suspension SS with rim brake category. No, I don't have such a bike, but I'm seriously contemplating it if this works out. I'll be looking at many more podium trips!

    Chris

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,438

    SSWC became Pepsi...a few years back...

    it ain't even that cool anymore.....don't get me wrong....I still drink and like Pepsi..but singlespeed is just another race class and SSWC is just a fun event. You want to rewind ten or so years ago and have this conversation okay...but when an SS is just another catalogue item in most bike companies annual fleets...it ain't that unique and it's pretty damn mainstream. It's the normal path of how things grow and become popular..nothing wrong with that..accept it, enjoy it for what it is...and if the USAC is going to sanction it good for them...and good for the guys and gals that line up at the races and want a "championship."

    If you don't like NORBA or USAC because they provide you crap for the bucks you pay in general..that's another thread.

    Edit: Johnnyboy...I'm agreeing with you for the most part..my comments are directed to the person above you...and just in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
    I love the negativity! Why exactly are you so cool as to categorize USAC racing as "general douchebaggery"? I'm not a big fan of them, looking at what has happened to the US Cup, but it looks like they are at least taking one step in the right direction.

    Really, lets hear your rant...

    As I see it no one is making you do it, so why isn't it a good thing? SSWC will always have its own flavor and be the coolest. No one is making you do that either.

    Having a USAC sanctioned race might interest more manufacturers in making SS frames or parts, which I see as a good thing.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

  26. #26
    CB2
    CB2 is offline
    Jam Econo
    Reputation: CB2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,214
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    Charlie, hard to do when you have a long flat or a mild decent before the first climb. I usually run a 32-18 (26") for most races and i'm more of a masher than a spinner. I dont think i can pedal much faster than 27mph, and that's only for a short time. That's slow enough to get dropped by a bunch of dirt roadies, at least before the first hill.
    Although i've ridden alot in your neck of the woods, i have never raced there, so I'm not sure how the courses are generally set up. But out here, it isnt uncommon for the first mile to be paved or a smooth, flat fire road. Not too fun on a SS.
    Most of ours don't have that long a run out before the first hill or singletrack. There are a few of courses that are tough against gears; Hodges Village Dam (MA State Championship) does have quite a long fireroad at the start, and then again on the backside (so if you catch them in the singletrack they can get away again before the finish), and oddly enough the ski resort races with their fireroads crossing the slopes. But for the majority, I think the races are won by the strongest rider no matter the equipment back here.

    I can pedal 27 mph...downhill...on my road bike.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    If you don't like NORBA or USAC because they provide you crap for the bucks you pay in general..that's another thread.
    You guys should try BMX and see what your money gets you.


    I personally don't think there are enough racers showing up to races to worry about splitting them up even more. Also most local races would not even have enough SS'ers to make a class.

  28. #28
    Thread Pollution
    Reputation: makachut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,734

    No Class

    Now a bunch of middle of the pack pros have a chance @ the stars and stripes.
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,438

    I'm probaly jaded living in California....

    Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    You guys should try BMX and see what your money gets you.


    I personally don't think there are enough racers showing up to races to worry about splitting them up even more. Also most local races would not even have enough SS'ers to make a class.

    Most SS classes have pretty good #s in term of participants.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    196
    This has been said before, by someone much greater than I:

    SS is an equipment choice, not a racing category.

  31. #31
    Team Awesome
    Reputation: playpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    974
    Maybe it's a regional thing, but here in the mid-atlantic (WVMBA) SSers run with the big boys - pro/expert open. Same start, etc..

  32. #32
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,803
    Quote Originally Posted by jjabkrvt
    This has been said before, by someone much greater than I:

    SS is an equipment choice, not a racing category.

    Wow. How myopic. Most SS'ers I've run with do it because it separates them from the herd.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  33. #33
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Most of ours don't have that long a run out before the first hill or singletrack. There are a few of courses that are tough against gears; Hodges Village Dam (MA State Championship) does have quite a long fireroad at the start, and then again on the backside (so if you catch them in the singletrack they can get away again before the finish), and oddly enough the ski resort races with their fireroads crossing the slopes. But for the majority, I think the races are won by the strongest rider no matter the equipment back here.

    I can pedal 27 mph...downhill...on my road bike.
    Yea i cant remember many trails out there that had alot of fire road. Nepaug had about the most that i can remember.
    As for the strongest rider, i know i'm slower on my SS by about 4-5% (i've done plenty of comparison runs), so at least for me, a 4% weaker gearie will probably beat me.
    IMHO, anyone who isnt faster on a geared bike isnt giving the amount of effort that they're giving on a SS.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.