finally making the conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

finally making the conversion

I just received the chain tensioner to convert my 09 Giant Yukon to SS. Planning to start with 32:15
    It mounts on the BB rather than the DH. I also have new Geax tires and will cut the stock bars down a bit. Will try to post pics of the process if I remember.
    I intend to save the Deore derailleurs to switch back whenever I get a proper SS... probably a Fisher Rig since my shop is slowly rolling out the '11 Treks.
    But my current pursuit is a proper road bike, so a new 29er is a ways off.

mtbr member
    sounds good, enjoy!

two things though:
    1. 32/15 sounds awfully steep for most trails. if you're a very strong rider, that's fine. I started out with 32/16 and it was way too hard. i now change from 32/18 to 32/20 depending on the trail. i would like to get strong enough to ride 32/16 at all times, but i am not at the point yet.
    2. why cut your bars? wide bars are not for everyone, but most single-speed riders prefer wider bars for the advantages when mashing up hills and stability on loose terrain.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Don't cut the bars down. Sounds pretty steep, in terms of gearing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The stock bars are very wide. I plan to just drop about 3/4 inch on each side. The gear choice is based on the fact that ii haven't shifted out of that gear for the last month. I am getting a 15 and 14 tooth I can switch up. Oklahoma isn't very steep.

mtbr member
    Yeah i started out with 32/16 and found it way to hard so now have a 20t or 18t and change depending on the track.
    2010 Yeti ASR 7

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Made the switch out today. went with 32:14. It will be a good ratio. I have a 15 I can switch out to. Added the new Geax tires (Mezcal rear and Gato front) and replaced the stock brake housing for red jagwire to bring out the red accents int he paint scheme. I'll try to get some pics before it gets re-dirted
    Went ahead and chopped 15 mm of the ends of the bars. Hard to notice since I dropped off the shifters, too.

Members who have read this thread: 0