Finally got my Monocog- Mtbr.com
    Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004

Finally got my Monocog

Finally got my Monocog frame & wheels today, it's very nice, looks like good quality and a very tough frame. I already have a Truvativ FireX single speed crankset I got off ebay for $35, an bottom bracket out of my Trek MTB (not sure if this will fit or not), 8spd chain off the same bike (will this work). I have Avid 7.0 rim brakes and Avid 7.0 levers, Titec riser bar, Cane Creek cartridge headset, Bontrager stem (ebay $5) Ritchy WCS seatpost, old Cannondale roadbike seat (may get a Selle Italia XO soon though). Now all I need are some pedals, a seat collar, freewheel, grips and I should be good to go. Will I need chaintugs?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYBYU
    Finally got my Monocog frame & wheels today, it's very nice, looks like good quality and a very tough frame. I already have a Truvativ FireX single speed crankset I got off ebay for $35, an bottom bracket out of my Trek MTB (not sure if this will fit or not), 8spd chain off the same bike (will this work). I have Avid 7.0 rim brakes and Avid 7.0 levers, Titec riser bar, Cane Creek cartridge headset, Bontrager stem (ebay $5) Ritchy WCS seatpost, old Cannondale roadbike seat (may get a Selle Italia XO soon though). Now all I need are some pedals, a seat collar, freewheel, grips and I should be good to go. Will I need chaintugs?
    The 8spd chain will work fine. You should think about a new one since you are going to be using it with a new crank and freewheel. The BB should work as long as it has the same interface as the crank and has the same shell width as your frame. You don't need a chaintug although they are nice. Post some pic's when finished.

Steamroller

Should be nice

Quote Originally Posted by FLYBYU
    Sounds like you have the makings of a nice ride. You may be ok without the chaintugs, but I would run one at least on the drive side. The Tugnutt by surley is a nice one, that I use, but there are a lot of options. One should cost $10 to $25, worth every penny to me after having to adjust my chain after or during every ride for weeks after I got my new bike. My old monocog had them stock and I never had a problem keeping chain tension. Post a picture when you get it built.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big