Filing down drop outs or axle? - SS without tensioner on vertical drop outs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Filing down drop outs or axle? - SS without tensioner on vertical drop outs

I'm about to pick up a new (to me) mountain bike frame to replace my broken ass commuter polo bike and would like not only to make it a single speed, but my new fixed mountain bike. My problem is that it has vertical drop outs. But thank God for steel, because I might be in luck. I've read on Sheldon Brown's page that I have multiple options, but of them, only these three options seem viable (ENO hub is too much money and I've heard magic gear ratios are less than spectacular).

1) Filing down the drop outs - this is the one I'd like to do, but I understand there are risks?

2) Filing down my axle (my fixed hub is quick release and nothing I'm too attached to, so this is a neat idea)

3) half-link - yes..

Anyone have experience in filing down axles or drop outs? Am I likely to have to do both? Any reason I really shouldn't do this?

one chain loop
    ALL my conversions used filed down axles with success. one advice is to have your combination close to magic and on the tight side, file it to perfect tension and rotate the axle when the chain gets loose.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Mr. Bee,

Yes. I managed to do it successfully. Rode it off road today at North Shore. Fixie MTBing is fun stuff.

mtbr member
    I have filed the drop outs many times to success and I also run a half link.
    I ride fixed mtb.

mtbr member
    I love the fixed gear in the dirt, here's a video I made on my fixed mtb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgxN8dyAfEk

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I filed the dropouts on a '96 Stumpjumper with good success. With a half-link I had just enough adjustment for the life of a chain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    May be too much money for you but Phil Wood makes a "Philcentric" BB. Outboard BB bearings that are offset. Pretty cool and made by Phil. Of course, I never pass up an opportunity to use a dremel tool on a frame!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    White Industries ENO Eccentric Rear Hub. I guess it's similar to the Phil Wood PhilcentricBB, but in the rear wheel, instead of at your cranks.
    - recognize

Low Rep Count
    FC EBB ftw! While I have WI hubs, they aren't eccentric. I have heard of them being a bit of a PITA to get set back where you want it once you have to change a flat or something. I think I like the idea of the EBB more as it is sort of a set it and forget it thing and you can then just use a standard QR set up on your wheel.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    I filed the dropouts on a '96 Stumpjumper with good success. With a half-link I had just enough adjustment for the life of a chain.
    m buddy did the same thing on his 97 stumpy and it worked well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So after you've filled down the drop outs, will you be able to go back to a geared setup (if you wanted to go back)?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Here's a picture:

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips
    So after you've filled down the drop outs, will you be able to go back to a geared setup (if you wanted to go back)?
    Yes.

Members who have read this thread: 0