A few SShort questions...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm A few SShort questions...

So i've been on just a few rides on my SS. i live in Vegas and went out to cottonwood valley with no probs. i have 32x18 setup. Now those of you familiar with bootleg canyon(or were there for dirt-demo) i have rode up and back girlscout. did the lakeviewloops and the mother/pow trails. the past couple o' rides. My question is on longer climbs my lower back hurts. Is it cuz i'm not used to standing and climbing for like 1/2 the ride with my beer belly or is there a (duh) good position to train(watch for) while climbing?(ie over pedals, leaned forward?) I got so used to climbs with gears as to just shift and scoot forward on the saddle. That aint happenin on SS. and it doesn't hurt afterward,only when riding. ahh well guess i'm just pussin'. 2 nd(off topic) question . i have these shimano "dx" pedals(platform/cleat) that i know why they were in the junk drawer now. Is it ok to be changing your pedals between bikes. like twice a week regularly. or should i just get something better for the SS? thanks in advance for any input. (and i blame you all for my addiction!) hehe.
    Lefty Lucy / Righty tighty .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Back - start doing some regular off the bike strengthening and stretching exercises - 15 mins a day will work wonders.

Pedals - threads on your cranks have more potential to get messed up with regular swapping of pedals. I recommend some new pedals if you can run to it.

Sam

Probably drunk right now

Ride it more and see how you feel

Quote Originally Posted by aggro
    So i've been on just a few rides on my SS. i live in Vegas and went out to cottonwood valley with no probs. i have 32x18 setup. Now those of you familiar with bootleg canyon(or were there for dirt-demo) i have rode up and back girlscout. did the lakeviewloops and the mother/pow trails. the past couple o' rides. My question is on longer climbs my lower back hurts. Is it cuz i'm not used to standing and climbing for like 1/2 the ride with my beer belly or is there a (duh) good position to train(watch for) while climbing?(ie over pedals, leaned forward?) I got so used to climbs with gears as to just shift and scoot forward on the saddle. That aint happenin on SS. and it doesn't hurt afterward,only when riding. ahh well guess i'm just pussin'. 2 nd(off topic) question . i have these shimano "dx" pedals(platform/cleat) that i know why they were in the junk drawer now. Is it ok to be changing your pedals between bikes. like twice a week regularly. or should i just get something better for the SS? thanks in advance for any input. (and i blame you all for my addiction!) hehe.
    Unless you have lower back problem, my uneducated guess is that you're just using muscles that you don't use as much on a geared bike. The more you ride the SS, the more workout you'll give your lower back. Eventually, your muscles will get used to it.

A good position? I think it depends on the rider and what works for them. I know people who get off the back a litte. I know people who position the nose of their saddle in their cornhole. I tend to stand up over the front of the bike when I'm standing and sort slide off the back of the saddle a little bit when I'm on a long winding grinder.

I agree with Aggro on his pedap comment. If you can swing it, just pick up another pair.

Hope this helps.

Ken