Few SS Questions- Mtbr.com
    Still on Training Wheels!

Few SS Questions

I have an Azonic DS-1 frame built up as a 9 speed and want to convert it to single speed for riding urban and to and from work this winter. The frame has horizontal drop outs, so I don't need to mess with a tenssioner, but have a few Questions about overall set up.

- I'm planning on keeping the full cassette on the hub and using whatever tooth ring that gives me the best line. The ring that I use the most is actually in the best line Is running the whole cassette OK or should I need to get spacers and do it the real way? I'd like to leave the cassette on so I can throw on a longer chain and derailure if It needs to be used as a loaner bike.

- Do I need a new Chain? I'll be using a PC-59 chain, but I have heard of guys running heavier duty chains because of the force put on the chain when out of the saddle climbing. I am using this souly for urban so there should be very limmited out of saddle climbing.

- What kind of tenssion do I want on the chain? Should there be a little sag or vertical movment in the chain or should I gett it as tight as possible?

That's about it! Thanks for all the help. I'll be sure to post up some pics when its finished.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Not so hard...

Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    I have an Azonic DS-1 frame built up as a 9 speed and want to convert it to single speed for riding urban and to and from work this winter. The frame has horizontal drop outs, so I don't need to mess with a tenssioner, but have a few Questions about overall set up.

- I'm planning on keeping the full cassette on the hub and using whatever tooth ring that gives me the best line. The ring that I use the most is actually in the best line Is running the whole cassette OK or should I need to get spacers and do it the real way? I'd like to leave the cassette on so I can throw on a longer chain and derailure if It needs to be used as a loaner bike.

- Do I need a new Chain? I'll be using a PC-59 chain, but I have heard of guys running heavier duty chains because of the force put on the chain when out of the saddle climbing. I am using this souly for urban so there should be very limmited out of saddle climbing.

- What kind of tenssion do I want on the chain? Should there be a little sag or vertical movment in the chain or should I gett it as tight as possible?

That's about it! Thanks for all the help. I'll be sure to post up some pics when its finished.
    to do. If You want to leave the whole cassette on, do it. The chain should not "sag" but it should have a little bit of play when You grab it and move it up and down. I use the same chain and have no probs at all.