A few more good words for the Lizard- Mtbr.com
    Hairshirt Rider

A few more good words for the Lizard

I've been riding a convert Litespeed for couple of years now, and finally decided that a custom steel SS would be a worthwhile purchase. I know I'll be waiting a several month for the new bike, but need to sell the ti frame to help fund the purchase. I purchased an old Chameleon to bridge the gap - I've heard/read only good things about the frame and figured I can sell it for about what I paid when the new bike arrives.

Turns out the Chameleon is quite the pinch hitter. I've had a chance to put it through the paces on my local trails and did a road trip to AZ and had a chance to ride all the good stuff on S. Mountain. I set the bar by how well a bike works the technical trails, and in that regard the Chameleon works really well (No surprise to current Chameleon owners I'm sure). It's not quite as smooth riding as the Litespeed, probably on par with my old Bonty Race. The clincher was my sloppy snow ride this weekend. When I'm freezing my @ss off, the last thing I'm going to do when I roll into the garage is wipe my bike down. It's nice to be able to leave the bike wet and dirty and not have to imagine what the moisture and grit are doing to my frame.

Still not sure if I'll move forward on the custom, but at least I've got something to ride while I make up my mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    ........ I purchased an old Chameleon to bridge the gap............
    Turns out the Chameleon is quite the pinch hitter. I've had a chance to put it through the paces on my local trails and did a road trip to AZ and had a chance to ride all the good stuff on S. Mountain. I set the bar by how well a bike works the technical trails, and in that regard the Chameleon works really well...............
    No surprise that you love the ride. Next thing you know you will be crusing the net looking for derailers and cassettes and what not. Before you know it you will have a full on geared bike.

banned
    Apr 2004

That's funny I got a geared Pisgah and converted

Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    I've been riding a convert Litespeed for couple of years now, and finally decided that a custom steel SS would be a worthwhile purchase. I know I'll be waiting a several month for the new bike, but need to sell the ti frame to help fund the purchase. I purchased an old Chameleon to bridge the gap - I've heard/read only good things about the frame and figured I can sell it for about what I paid when the new bike arrives.

Turns out the Chameleon is quite the pinch hitter. I've had a chance to put it through the paces on my local trails and did a road trip to AZ and had a chance to ride all the good stuff on S. Mountain. I set the bar by how well a bike works the technical trails, and in that regard the Chameleon works really well (No surprise to current Chameleon owners I'm sure). It's not quite as smooth riding as the Litespeed, probably on par with my old Bonty Race. The clincher was my sloppy snow ride this weekend. When I'm freezing my @ss off, the last thing I'm going to do when I roll into the garage is wipe my bike down. It's nice to be able to leave the bike wet and dirty and not have to imagine what the moisture and grit are doing to my frame.

Still not sure if I'll move forward on the custom, but at least I've got something to ride while I make up my mind.
    my geared Lizard to a SS a few months back, The Lizard rattlles your bones a little more than the litespeed but as you already know a Lizard with a good front fork is quite an effective tool on the nasty down hill sections.
    Another thing about the Lizard, it makes a better SS than gearie due to the rear derailuer clacks the fock out of the oversized chainstay and is slow to go into the little cog on the cassette because of those cool, blocky chainstays/drop outs.
    Last edited by Bike Nazi; 11-16-2004 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Can't say b-i-t-c-h-i-n in PG land